Thoughts on ‘The Post’?

prisoners

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Watched it last night, thought it felt a bit long but I was pretty tired when I started watching. Absolutely stellar cast, even in the bit parts, and it looked great. I really got the feeling of the 70s without it being a poor imitation or recreation. I’d say the most important factor of the story (the Pentagon papers and Daniel Ellsberg’s decision to blow the whistle) wasn’t explored enough but that’s not exactly the focus of this film. Still, a bit more emphasis on the ramifications would’ve been appropriate to explain WHY the decision to publish or not (the subject of the film) was worth telling.

There were a few Spielberg signatures apparent, most notably a camera angle from below that looks up at the actors in a manufactured dramatic moment that would be more at home in ‘Stranger Things’ vs an adult drama. Overall I enjoyed it but I think it could’ve been better in the hands of a director less prone to such trope.

Saw the ads for it and wasn't sure about it but it was engaging and worth the time. Some good history that I lived through but I'd no idea what a female newspaper owner went through. Good to see Saul still having those awkward moments.

My wife and I both enjoyed the movie. Not often these days do we get an adult drama with good actors and writing. As far as the political nature of the film, I found it to be mostly balanced. It was a critical shift in politics and the press. No longer was the White House and the press good buddies where a wink was as good as a nod. The First Amendment issue was huge, so for those who missed it, it was/is an important event.

Unfortunately, two of my least favorite actors failing miserably at the intended accent. Slow and boring overall, but not as bad as many other movies lately.

My wife and I both enjoyed the movie. Not often these days do we get an adult drama with good actors and writing. As far as the political nature of the film, I found it to be mostly balanced. It was a critical shift in politics and the press. No longer was the White House and the press good buddies where a wink was as good as a nod. The First Amendment issue was huge, so for those who missed it, it was/is an important event.

But not much of a subject/setting for a movie. :rolleyes:

But not much of a subject/setting for a movie. :rolleyes:
Well, each to his own. Not everyone is a fan of political docudramas. My wife and I enjoy them, but then again we've both been political nerds since our early teens. I guess it's an artifact of the 60s.

Cheers

A pale prequel to "All the President's Men." I like Tom Hanks, but his Ben Bradlee was uninspired compared to Jason Robards.

A pale prequel to "All the President's Men." I like Tom Hanks, but his Ben Bradlee was uninspired compared to Jason Robards.
Absolutely agree with you. In fact, the entire cast of All The President's Men were excellent.

Some good history that I lived through but I'd no idea what a female newspaper owner went through.

Some folks really put themselves on the line to get the Pentagon Papers into public view. If you haven't seen "All The President's Men" lately, it's interesting to watch how very aggressive Woodward and Bernstein were. Also knowing that Mark Felt of the FBI was Deep Throat changes your perspective.

" I like Tom Hanks, but his Ben Bradlee was uninspired compared to Jason Robards.

"The Post" was good, ATPM was great.

Back
Top Bottom