YPAO Settings Makes Center Sound Strange

kbuzz

Hello All . Rookie with an avr and have a question. I recently swapped out my center speaker to see if i would like it better. I stuck the new one in the system without changing any settings even though it was a bit larger. It sounded good, very good.

I reran Ypao with the new speaker and now the sound it rather strident and bit metallic. I have manually adjusted the cross-overs, tried different cross-over settings and confirmed that the distance is set correctly.

So does anyone have an idea why the sound would change so drastically?

Thanks for the reply. I only switched out the center speaker. The speaker is not the issue since it sounded good after the switch

The question is why would the new center sound so poor after YPAO calibration. ?

But to answer the original settings were based using a smaller Boston acoustics micro 90 center. This was replaced with a Sonus Faber chameleon center. Which is twice the size

Thanks for the reply. I only switched out the center speaker. The speaker is not the issue since it sounded good after the switch

The question is why would the new center sound so poor after YPAO calibration. ?

But to answer the original settings were based using a smaller Boston acoustics micro 90 center. This was replaced with a Sonus Faber chameleon center. Which is twice the size

Does YPAO allow you to examine the equalization curves calculated for each speaker? If so, you should be able to examine just what YPAO "sees" as needing correction between the two centers.

My Yamaha Aventage AVR allows manual tweaking of YPAO EQ settings. I "ass/u/me" that's a standard feature? :)

Also, this threads reminds me that I need to do what the OP just did. I changed center speakers, and need to rerun YPAO too. I hope it doesn't have a negative impact on the sound? :eek:

Does YPAO allow you to examine the equalization curves calculated for each speaker? If so, you should be able to examine just what YPAO "sees" as needing correction between the two centers.

I don think so. I believe the eq settings on this entry level avr are universal for all speakers....

If the YPAO settings were the same for all speakers there would be no point in having YPAO. At minimum YPAO adjusts levels and system balance. I believe once you get away from bottom of the line gear YPAO becomes increasingly more complex (acts as a DSP) and effective.

On my Yamaha (RX-V1800), there are several different YPAO calibration choices that adjust for levels and freq/eq based on which one you choose.

Natural
Flat
Front

Not knowing what speakers you have and that you changed out the center, I'm assuming they are of a different brand? If so, then try running YPOA and select "Front" for the Parametric profile when running autocalibration. It is supposed to match the other speakers to your front speakers.

My guess is that the EQ settings to make the original small center sound decent added a whole lot of punch with that bigger center (think having loudness on and bass turned all the way up for a minimonitor, then keeping those settings for a big three-way with a 15" woofer).

I've found that I don't like what Audessy does to my mains, even though it may make them sound "correct", so i bypass it (but leave it on for the sub).
You may be discovering something similar.

Before you decide though, check the crossover points. It may just be crossed over too high and your're not getting that "movie" sound (a great test is listening to that guy who does the movie trailer voiceovers). It's probably crossed over at 80Hz, which decimates the sound. I have a big ctr and knocked it to 50Hz so it could breathe a little. Big difference.

On my Yamaha (RX-V1800), there are several different YPAO calibration choices that adjust for levels and freq/eq based on which one you choose.

Natural
Flat
Front

Not knowing what speakers you have and that you changed out the center, I'm assuming they are of a different brand? If so, then try running YPOA and select "Front" for the Parametric profile when running autocalibration. It is supposed to match the other speakers to your front speakers.

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know if you need to change the eq before running YPAO or you can switch between them after running ...thanks

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know if you need to change the eq before running YPAO or you can switch between them after running ...thanks
You need to select which setting to run as part of YPAO.

I'm not familiar with your model, but my Yamaha V1800 has 4 memory settings, so I can run YPAO once with a given setting, save it, run YPAO with a different setting, save it. Then I can play music with one memory setting and recall the other on the fly to do an A/B comparison to pick which one I like best.

It’s the rx683 and It’s wired via Ethernet

Try this...get the IP address of the receiver and log into it via web browser from a computer on the same network and access the "receiver web setup". Something like http://192.168.1.17/setup/ where the "17" is almost certainly something else on your network.

Now you can dig deep into the settings and from your PC keyboard rather than poking buttons on the remote and trying to find options via the GUI on the TV.

Try this...get the IP address of the receiver and log into it via web browser from a computer on the same network and access the "receiver web setup". Something like http://192.168.1.17/setup/ where the "17" is almost certainly something else on your network.

Now you can dig deep into the settings and from your PC keyboard rather than poking buttons on the remote and trying to find options via the GUI on the TV.

In as much as I failed on my first attempt this morning, I'll keep trying. Sounds like my kind of playground. Thanks for the tip donprice, It never crossed my mind to do this.

In as much as I failed on my first attempt this morning, I'll keep trying. Sounds like my kind of playground. Thanks for the tip donprice, It never crossed my mind to do this.

Here is the numerical LAN IP address 192.168.0.9

Looking at the console, very interesting, One thing that caught my eye is there is a check off for Google analytics it is defaulted as "On" but you will want to make sure it is off I don't need Google Metadata'ing me through My AVR too

Last edited:
There is a MAC address filter in the direct access. This is a useful security tool. If there is a device on your LAN you want to deny access to this AVR you can enter it’s MAC address and block it. The beauty of this is a MAC address is hardcoded into the machine and cannot be changed.

Back
Top Bottom