HDMI cable failure

Poultrygeist

Lunatic Member
My bedroom Roku 3 has worked great for the past several years but suddenly the picture started fading in and out and finally a "no signal" blue screen. I assumed it was the Roku as they don't last that long. Substituted another Roku in it's place but the same problems existed. My TV is a cheap Sieki so I thought it might be a faulty HDMI input. I ruled that out when the DVD player worked fine on that input. With no other options to try I exchanged the original HDMI cable for a new one and bingo problem solved.

The HDMI cable was the last thing I thought would fail. It was not bent, crimped and never touched plus it's connection was solid. Lesson learned.

another issue I found was that some cables are directional.

I had tested a laptop to wall-mounted LCD panel and it worked. On the day of use, I hooked
it up and it didn't work. then after minutes of frustration I turned the cables around and it
worked. then I noticed labels with arrows.

did someone know something no one else knows?

My bedroom Roku 3 has worked great for the past several years but suddenly the picture started fading in and out and finally a "no signal" blue screen. I assumed it was the Roku as they don't last that long. Substituted another Roku in it's place but the same problems existed. My TV is a cheap Sieki so I thought it might be a faulty HDMI input. I ruled that out when the DVD player worked fine on that input. With no other options to try I exchanged the original HDMI cable for a new one and bingo problem solved.

The HDMI cable was the last thing I thought would fail. It was not bent, crimped and never touched plus it's connection was solid. Lesson learned.

I had the same thing happen to a XLR cable that feeds one of my subs. It simply died. There was no warning and the cable hadn't been touched. It just stopped working.

Hmm ... I have an older Roku and a Chromecast, that both stopped working one day?? I'll have to dig them up and reinvestigate. I've never pay any attention to the "HDMI" cables???

Yeah, I have a "boosted" (aka "long") HDMI cable that is directional.
Which makes sense. I would guess it's only the longer cables that need a boost. Something I will be taking a closer look at next time I buy a long HDMI cable.

Back
Top Bottom