Are new production Gold Lion KT88’s the best?

Sound Dragon

Yawns and sets his couch on fire!
Subscriber
l know that this may be subjective. But for price, reliability and sound. Are the new production Gold Lion KT 88 as good as it gets?

So for my application. I am running a Citation II. I have been wondering if splurging for a quad of Psvane Treasure tubes would be better than say a quad of Gold Lion KT-88s

Well. In the past I have bought my Chinese Tubes from Grant Fidelity. I believe a few US outfits are selling various Chinese Tures now also and offer the same return policy on these tubes as others. Grant Fidelity would be my first choice, but there is a premium price for the extra layers of QC and good warranty.

As to the sound of the Citation. I would agree that it has a very open and wide sound to it that very few other tube amps can match. I happen to enjoy it very much.

@mkane, those are both lovely and so out of reach for most of us.

They are the best I've heard so far. I've been using them in my VTA ST-70 for about two years.

Order from a reliable source like Jim McShane. Jim throws in the QC for free - as it should be.

I guess I should just order the gold lions. I was just curious what others were using and if there was a tangible difference that would warrant the added expense.

I use the Gold Lion KT88's in my custom build 60W/CH power amp. In my opinion and my clients opinions, the best sounding KT88. They'll need a few hours to 'settle in', but boy, they do sound great!

I guess I should just order the gold lions. I was just curious what others were using and if there was a tangible difference that would warrant the added expense.
What would be the difference between a set of GL KT-88's and a cheaper tube in that category - $50 maybe? You're talking about a tube that you WILL like and be using for 10-15 years or more!

If you get a cheaper tube you will only be putting off getting the GL's later on. And you will have a quad set of tubes that you really don't care for sitting in a box on a self - doing nothing but costing you more money.

What would be the difference between a set of GL KT-88's and a cheaper tube in that category - $50 maybe? You're talking about a tube that you WILL like and be using for 10-15 years or more!
my thought too...one spends $thousands on a good amp, then skimp on tubes....don't save at the wrong end, after all, it is ALL about the tubes, so get the best!...and I don't mean the 'snake oil touched by a virgin etc.' over priced bull dust!!

my thought too...one spends $thousands on a good amp, then skimp on tubes....don't save at the wrong end, after all, it is ALL about the tubes, so get the best!...and I don't mean the 'snake oil touched by a virgin etc.' over priced bull dust!!

See. I feel that it is difficult to determine where this line is. My amp came with a quad of EH KT 88s. I would assume that they are decent enough. They certainly don’t sound bad. I had treasure KT 88s in my Rita 880. I will say that that amp sounded absolutely fantastic.

See. I feel that it is difficult to determine where this line is. My amp came with a quad of EH KT 88s. I would assume that they are decent enough. They certainly don’t sound bad. I had treasure KT 88s in my Rita 880. I will say that that amp sounded absolutely fantastic.

well, and this is, of course, my personal opinion based on decades of being involved with tube gear, stick with proven factory new brands. And this, of course, includes EH, Tung Sol, JJ, Gold Lion etc.. They have been around for a while, their tubes are well built and proven. Some of the Chinese are starting to get there, I really like the Shuguang Treasure series, I use their CV181-Z as my driver tubes in my amps, those are 6SN7 equivalents. In fact, they are great sounding preamp tubes!
I found that a lot of those 'high end' tubes which cost a small mortgage are really not any better than the brands I mentioned here. There are of course people who would argue that point, again, these are my personal opinions based on many years in this industry.
Same applies to cables etc., there is a TON of snake oil out there. I use good quality multi-strand copper wire for signal and high voltage wiring, no need to pay a premium for silver this and silver that, cryo treated, yadda yadda yadda.....:crazy:

I know this might sound weird. But one of the biggest letdowns for the Psvane is that silver coating blocking the cool tube glow....nothing to do with Sonics, but it takes away from the overall experience for me.

IMHO - best current production KT88 isn't a KT88 ... it's the TungSol KT120. Excellent value and runs rings around most of the KT88's I've tried here.

2014Aug-tubes.jpg

Second best would be the TAD select KT88str's. Those are made exclusively for TAD by Shougang and based on the vaunted classic MOV British production. Even got the heavy glass.

14OCT-TAD-tubes.jpg

PS ... those pics are my amp ... I put my money where my mouth is ... ;-}

I also like the Gold Lion KT77s. Not as much power output as the KT88s and KT120s but the midrange is superb in my view.

Back
Top Bottom