SP 1200

vha

Hi all
I brought back and connected my very old speakers SP1200.
They seem to work ok.
except that one of the 2" 50mm tweeters cone is damaged (not completely)
I am thinking also to see if I could make changes in-order to get better sound quality?
I guess for this enclosure size I could get a more powerful speaker result,
or maybe just replacing the mid-rage and tweeters and making changes only on the caps on the same crossover circuit type. I am not interested to keep the switches options.
Does anyone has experience with this model to suggest me some options?
Thank you

Last edited:
I ould say if all the other drivers test good you would probably be best to repair the tweeters either the surrounds or a full recone. Then bring the crossovers back to spec. They were not a real high power speaker to begin with and will sound real good with the proper matched Sansui such as a 5000x or a 881? I really think they are worth keeping in original condition as the value always declines if monkeyed with. You honestly can pick a set of something that will work for whatever your wish may be. I am guilty of owning enough quality speakers I could change sets daily and not listen to the same for 2 weeks. I for example just picked up a pair of polk monitor 10s that were 1 owner purchased in the 1990s so series 2s and he had them in storage for 20 years. He was asking $100 for them and as a general rule I would plan on recapping crossovers but storage for 20 years they sound like new. I picked a set of klipsch 4.5 about two weeks ago for $125.00 original boxes even! I only can say there is good stuff all over and you should have no trouble finding the perfect speaker for less than putting $ into a classic Sansui that is a bit limiting as to making real performance upgrades. I would hink you could find a buyer who would love to have those and you may well be able to buy exactly what you want.I hope that helps. Cheers

"I started out out with nothing and still have most of it left"

Thank you for your reply
I know that this is an old speaker and early sansui's lines with low power comparing to is volume.
I had many of them later models but this is the one kept all these years.
The one speaker with no damaged tweeter cone, gives a worm sound but maybe not so clear.
for the reasons you mentioned I would prefer to keep the original speakers but need to enjoy the quality of sound.
I will test it with other amplifiers and make frequency measurements.
I asked if it is possible to repair the cone of the tweeter
That will cost 20€. it is 50mm 2' 15W 17Ω tweeter
Do you have experience with recone small drivers?
How do they respond after reconning?

The speakers will sound as new. I would do them as a set however.
If you do just the tweets for now it will balance them so you won't have one new and tight and one that's next in line to fail. You can send it out to some one like simply speakers if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself and it should not be horribly expensive. I think the problem as to tonal quality can be linked to the crossovers being 50 years old and should be addressed as priority. Do some research as when those were built they didn't have the technology they do as far as capacitors and such as they do now. Also remember that manufacturers even though they were building a higher end speaker were still cost conscience and it was an area they some $ could be saved in production.
I think if you do a bit of looking around on the forum you may find someone whom will be able and willing to help with all of the issues you have in front of you. If you have kept these over others there was a reason why and I am guessing it's because sometime back they had a sweet tone to your ears. I am sure you will find it's a combination of the crossover network and tired drivers. If you start with the tweets and crossovers you can do the remainder of drivers down the line.
There are a lot of choices but it's not how expensive as to how one part compares to another. I habe 4 pair of speakers awaiting crossover rebuild replacements myself and from experience I can only say it's a whole new ballgame when they are done.
I am getting ready to do crossovers and some tweeter modifications to my beloved Klipsch Cornwalls and am lucky to have Bob Crites whom has been doing Klipsch speakers for as long as as I can remember and is legendary among Klipsch owners. I hope that this gives you a direction to search and I believe you will recover the sound you remember plus even more. I am by no means an expert and am lucky to have friend close in area that do have the expertise to build for me what ever is needed. I do like the Sonicap capacitors and use them for all upgrades as they are not overly pricey and seem to sound as good as any out there and better to my ears as any I have heard for many times the cost. Good luck.
Sorry to be slow in reply.
Nemobit:)

I removed the small tweeter with damaged cone an I noticed that behind the (paper) cone there is another rubber cone.
I intent to bring it to some expert for re-cone (I never done such a job). I guess for larger drivers that would be easier but this is a small tweeter and the rubber cone behind can not be removed. That is delicate...

The crossover has 3 capacitors(2.2 , 3.3, 10 μf) bi-polar. Should I replace them to poly capacitors?

Last edited:
I ve been advised to change the capacitors (for new type made of Poly) to get a more clear sound.
Does anyone have this experience?

Back
Top Bottom