SACD recommendations

New release from MoFi. Just ordered. Should be good.

UDSACD2199-2.jpg

My Oppo 103 plays SACDs, but with such a crappy DAC should I even bother?
If the 103 sounds pretty good with red book CDs, you should be able the hear a reasonable improvement from SACDs. I haven't heard the 103; but even my Oppo DV980h revealed the superiority of SACDs and DVD-As. Just be sure to start with one that has been favorably reviewed in this thread. The recording is more important Than the format.

If the 103 sounds pretty good with red book CDs, you should be able the hear a reasonable improvement from SACDs. I haven't heard the 103; but even my Oppo DV980h revealed the superiority of SACDs and DVD-As. Just be sure to start with one that has been favorably reviewed in this thread. The recording is more important Than the format.

Yeah it sounds crappy on Redbooks. The recording is key. Your old Oppo was only 170 clams? I'm wonder that many of the titles avail on SACD were decent recordings to begin with?

Check this. A tad overpriced.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/SACD-Insan...=item4b599feec4:g:BTcAAOSwwTFcJpvc:rk:14:pf:0

Be sure to let us know how that is. I had the 5.1 Bluray from the immersion box set which was awesome. My fiancé took it when we split ...
Havent had the opportunity to do any critical listening yet but first test run it sounds as expected, pretty damn good. And i love the cover, not just a typical jewel case.

If you will forgive me for bending the rule, I'm going to include a DVD-A, since many of us have the ability to play them and they are pretty hard to come by.

51utMiNSlqL.jpg

Emmy Lou Harris, Producer's Cut. Extremely well recorded and performed. One of my very best DVD-As. Still available at Amazon. Includes both stereo and 5.1.

I ordered Gentle Ben by Ben Webster on SACD and was really impressed. Full of ballads with that big full saxophone sound I wanted.

Has anyone had the time or inclination to compare 2H HD or XRCD formats to SACD? I have one XRCD2 but the content is so boring I haven't even listened all the way through. The SQ seemed pretty nice, though.

Well I just picked up a universal player yesterday at GW, so now I'm on the hunt. Did any of the Talking Heads library get an SACD version? It looks like the DVD-A sides on the box set are 5.1 only. Is that correct?
No, the 'Brick' box set discs' DVD-A side has both a stereo AND a surround layer and the other side has a remastered redbook stereo layer. I think the albums were released separately too. As I recall, the discs were too thick for some players because they are dual sided but mine plays them fine.

Congrats on the GW find! That's where I found my universal player. Does everything except Blu-ray. I had hoped to upgrade to an Oppo 205 but now those prices make me blush.

Cheers

@stoutblock
I gotta get Getz/Gilberto and Texas Flood. I highly recommend DSOTM on SACD, but you probably already have it.

@Infinitoid
Wow!! Nice collection.

Y'know, now that I have an excellent CD/SACD player, and a classic CJ tube pre and a pair of vintage reference speakers, I listen to a lot more classical music. The music just flows and floats, exactly where the instruments are located in the orchestra; and its a beautiful thing.
I still listen to my jazz, and classic rock - Floyd, Crimson, ELP, Allmans, Yes etc.; and Linda Rohnstad of course (man, what a voice), but I alwys put on some classical after a bit.
Happy listening.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom