Fisher Laboratory Matched Tubes

rufleruf

Poor Impulse Control
Got some neat Fisher brochures with a super clean original TA-800. Enjoy.

Anyone here have a Fisher Tested tubes box? I've never seen one...

fisher tubes card.JPG
I'd love to add one of these tube boxes to my collection!
fisher lab tested tubes.JPG
why fisher matched tubes.JPG
EL37 cost less than EL34??
fisher tube prices.JPG

Interesting that the 6DJ8 was so much more expensive than the other AF amplifiers - maybe because they were never generally available in USA?

Since 7591 is not listed, I'm guessing that price list is pre 1959, so multiply those prices by a factor of 10 to adjust for inflation.

It's ironic the 7591 is not listed, this came with Fishers first 7591 based receiver.

And another factor of 3 - 5 to account for rarity and collectability!

If we assume 1960, a matched pair of EL34 would run $115.45 today according to the CPI inflation calc, so 10x is not far off at all.

Incidentally I can buy matched quads of EL34 for less than that today. Thats kind of why I don't put a lot of stock in the notion that tube gear makers ran stuff hard because tubes were cheap to replace years ago. The dollar number is low, but as a percentage of hourly rate they were more expensive 60 years ago than today.

If we assume 1960, a matched pair of EL34 would run $115.45 today according to the CPI inflation calc, so 10x is not far off at all.

Incidentally I can buy matched quads of EL34 for less than that today. Thats kind of why I don't put a lot of stock in the notion that tube gear makers ran stuff hard because tubes were cheap to replace years ago. The dollar number is low, but as a percentage of hourly rate they were more expensive 60 years ago than today.
Good points. Tubes were expensive back then.

Since 7591 is not listed, I'm guessing that price list is pre 1959, so multiply those prices by a factor of 10 to adjust for inflation.

No no Caddy,no price multiplication or inflation adjustments!!!

No more screwing around,just send me a thousand of each type.......Hmm,quantity purchase = free shipping,right?

Interesting that the 6DJ8 was so much more expensive than the other AF amplifiers - maybe because they were never generally available in USA?
The 6DJ8 was a special RF amplifier tube made to have high gain and a low noise figure when used in a Cascode RF Amp configuration. Fisher and some other manufacturers in Europe got the first production versions which were actually produced with a 7VAC filament instead of the more typical 6.3VAC used in the USA. Fisher used a special power transformer with an extra tap stepped up to 7VAC just for that tube used in some of their high end FM tuners of the mid to late 1950s. The Fisher 90-R thread I posted today used one of those 7V filament RF Amp tubes. Fisher referred to their 6DJ8 Cascode circuit as the "Golden Cascode". Fisher gained a reputation for having the most sensitive FM tuners of that era for some years by using that tube type.

Joe

Guessing that got to be the hot ticket for AF duty because of low internal capacitance which would reduce Miller effect?

Back
Top Bottom