Les Paul Standard

I'd say yours is honeyburst. I picked up this Epiphone LP Standard yesterday. The seller called it Ice Tea Burst.

003.JPG

Last edited:
Nice Paul, Celt. This is my 1974 Les Paul Custom 20th Anniversary. I bought it in late 1974. It was white when it was new. The nitrocellulose lacquer gives it a nice amber patina now.

View attachment 1317319

That aged beautifully.

I ran into two LP Custom 20th Ann. this summer. A coworkers brother-in-law passed away and he told me he had a couple old guitars. He brought them in to work. Yep, two 20th Ann. Les Pauls, an older Gibson Hummingbird, and a first-year Fender Jaguar in near-mint condition. Yep, just some old guitars. I did tell him he had somewhere around $10k or so worth of "old guitars" in his car and he needed to go straight home and put them back. It was like 95 degrees that day. They weren't even in cases.

Honeyburst. And a beauty at that with a lovely, 3D depth to the top. Although Gibson's quality control has been hit or miss over the years, and sometimes downright pathetic. Like the Pete Townsend Custom Shop I had which shipped with a multitude of scratches between the pickups and a slightly off-center bridge. And custom / boutique builders asides, they have always had beautiful finishes and bursts that are the equal, if not better than any. Although I guess you could argue that PRS does pretty well in this regard with the 10 tops, etc.

Thanks. It's a "Plus Top", so it has a better grade top than the standard LP Classic. I finished polishing it up today, oiled the board, tuned it up, checked the intonation, and now I'm re-thinking selling it. It sounds really nice for an unplugged solid-body guitar.

Personally I would keep it. An electric that sounds good acoustically is always a winner in my book, and the Plus top is killer. :)

@try1256 I have the same exact one, year and color shift, although mine has "pinked out" in a few spots. Only difference is mine doesn't have the TP6 which I prefer.

Mine has a little bit of the pink along the the top edge where my arm rested. It doesn't stand out in the picture. I bought the TP-6 when it came out way back when. Makes tuning very easy.

An electric that sounds good acoustically is always a winner in my book

This has, o'er many years of evaluating Gibsons, Fenders, Rics, Gretsch, and a few dozen other makes, been one of my "tests" before deciding on (total) value of a given instrument. For example, my best-sounding Stratocaster ('62) played "acoustically" happens also to be the best-sounding "plugged". This goes as well for several other Fender and Gibson electrics. BTW, this "test" applies to solid, semi-hollow bodied (e.g., ES-335), and fully hollow-bodied electric geetars, especially Gibsons. The "test" holds up less consistently w/ 60s Rics and especially, in my experience, the various Gretsch models of the 50s and 60s.

My buddy came over the other night to have me tweak his Allesandro combo amp...I showed my guit-fiddle off to him....so he plugged it in and wailed on it for a bit.
He gave it a big thumbs up! :)

My buddy came over the other night to have me tweak his Allesandro combo amp...I showed my guit-fiddle off to him....so he plugged it in and wailed on it for a bit.
He gave it a big thumbs up! :)

If anyone wants a "new" vintage Blackface Deluxe Reverb, Alessandro will take a Fender Re-Issue, gut the PCB electronics and replace with a period-correct, hand-wired Blackface circuit. Same with the Princeton Reverb.

No affiliation, just a recommendation for one of the true boutique amp builders.

I replaced the truss rod cover which was apparently broken and replaced with an Epiphone. It was a minor quibble...but one that irked me!

index.php

Attachments

• 100_0213.JPG
    100_0213.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 86
I replaced the truss rod cover which was apparently broken and replaced with an Epiphone. It was a minor quibble...but one that irked me!

index.php

Inderstand completely Dan>: When it's come to getting Lesters "right", I have wrestled with/through myriad "minor quibbles" o'er the years.

Yeah...he said the top of the "bell" had the screw tightened down too far....so he replaced it with an Epiphone....of course, I didn't like that either!
About like a Fender Bassman that I repaired years ago that was made after CBS purchased Fender...the back panel said "Fender, a division of Columbia Records Corp." :eek:

Yeah...he said the top of the "bell" had the screw tightened down too far....so he replaced it with an Epiphone....of course, I didn't like that either!
About like a Fender Bassman that I repaired years ago that was made after CBS purchased Fender...the back panel said "Fender, a division of Columbia Records Corp." :eek:

Yeppers on those "Columbia Records Corp. "chills", but then now several "early" CBS-era geetars and basses are getting pricey. Check out the markets for clean '66-'69 Teles, especially the "bound" (ie, w/ standard PUPs) variety & early Thinline (again, standard PUPs) variants, and then '66-'69 Strats.

05246888-B26C-46C4-8337-3FA92F4C6BA7.jpeg This is just a Jay Turser LP knockoff, but it’s such a beauty that it always gets comments. I’d love to have a real Paul, but then I’d have to worry about it getting dropped or stolen!

Boy, that's a beauty!

I'm not a guitar player; can you tell me what those two white covers on the back are for?

Very nice flame for a standard. Always liked wine red.

I can't figure Gibson's build specs. I see standards with Klusons and Grovers. Maybe both in the same year. Anyone know what they did, and when?

Back
Top Bottom