Av receiver and HS8’s

brunomarcs

About 2 yrs ago I picked up this Yamaha av receiver RX V563. Never could figure out how to hook it up to my TV. Recently picked up these HS8S powered monitors brand new in a box. Got a good deal from the same pawn shop I always stop in and check once a month en route to New Orleans. Can these speakers be used with this unit? What kind of patch cords do I need?

Attachments

• 85037013-7FDC-49E3-ABCB-B3C26C3859A0.jpeg
    85037013-7FDC-49E3-ABCB-B3C26C3859A0.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 22
  • 3C5947D5-7AF0-4588-9AA5-B5842D92355B.jpeg
    3C5947D5-7AF0-4588-9AA5-B5842D92355B.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 73DC592E-92BE-4F59-B767-3582E7432E54.jpeg
    73DC592E-92BE-4F59-B767-3582E7432E54.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 19
  • AD940AE1-5D20-4E4D-AE22-C03EBE8DE380.jpeg
    AD940AE1-5D20-4E4D-AE22-C03EBE8DE380.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 21
I use their little brother, the HS5s everyday in an edit suite; they are a decent speaker.

IF your receiver has preouts, just run an RCA from it to the speakers. If it doesn’t have a preout, I don’t know how to get around that. All other outputs are going to have a full fixed level, which isn’t going to help you.

There are no preamp RCA outputs on your Yamaha. So, no direct connections to your powered monitors. But, you could try a speaker level converter. They're often used in car stereo installs, to add separate amps to a stock head unit. Crutchfield sells a couple.

Scosche LOC90

Scosche SLC4

I will say that I downloaded the manual on this receiver 104 pages supposedly you program the receiver to allow it to be connected or used through various means of which you have available? I assumed I could use just about anything. Would the speaker level converter work for sure? Should I just sell these monitors? Thanks for the replies

I would sell those HS8s, just not a good match with your receiver.

If you had a preamp, or a tuner/pre, or an integrated with preouts, you would be golden.

I have an mx 1000, intergrate jvc, Kenwood and access to many carver units from a friend those vintage amps would work then?

Whatever gear you're looking to use, it has to have RCA preamp outputs, in order to connect your powered monitors. Plus, even then, you'll need adapters, as your speakers have XLR and 1/4" heaphone jack inputs, but no RCA inputs.

You could use the Zone2 outputs with a standard RCA to 1/4inch plug. You would only have stereo sound And most receivers can only produce analog signals out of zone2. It would work though. You would need to set Receiver to zone2 it's usually used for 2nd room auxiliary speakers. Not an ideal setup. Find something with preouts.

I could buy a used av processor, I hate to sell these monitors without hearing them you know what I mean. I asked a guy on a job today who installs Audio Systems for a living, I’m doing the roof, and he hasn’t a clue what I’m talking about.

I could buy a used av processor, I hate to sell these monitors without hearing them you know what I mean. I asked a guy on a job today who installs Audio Systems for a living, I’m doing the roof, and he hasn’t a clue what I’m talking about.
Those are sweet speakers! They're usually used for studio monitors. They will sound great with a receiver with preouts. A lot of the Yamaha Receivers have 5.1 or 7.1 preout. Your receiver has 5.1 multi channel in but just the zone2 and subwoofer out. Maybe you could trade that receiver in towards a receiver or preamp with stereo or 5.1/7.1 preout. You could also use a mixer, any non powered mixer will work. If you do get something 5.1 or 7.1 with preout use the front channel outs to the speakers. You will need the Standard RCA to 1/4inch adaptors, they sell adaptors or you could get cables with rca on one end and 1/4inch on the other. All Guitar Centers and most music stores sell them.

I hooked the hs 8’s up to my tv and they sound great so I’m gonna keep them. Problem is I have to use the volume controls on the speakers and can’t attenuate them from my remote! And using this Av receiver I don’t have any sound while watching satellite, I only have sound from speakers I run to the receiver when using Netflix or a disc, does this make any sense? I also can’t use these hs 8 when watching Netflix! No sound back through the tv! I bought the standard rca to 1/4” cables as suggested

Does the TV have a 3.5mm analog out/headphone out with variable output? That would work for you.

You keep running into the variable output situation needed for your Yamahas.

A preamp with analog/digital inputs and analog outputs would solve your problem.

I have a cx 1000 pre and it has two pre outs if I understand correctly, and a Kenwood amp. Would I be better using separates to build a mediocre system? I want 4 speakers and a sub. I don’t listen to music in here, only out in the shop where I can play loud. Would a cx 5000 A solve my problem? I’m watching one of those but man there out of my league

Guys would a Marantz sr 7007 be a good receiver? I’ve located one for a decent price of 250 has remote. I now have Infinity RS 4000, Bose 401’s and My Infinity Kappa 7’s to be delivered in several weeks, I also still have the Yamaha HS 8’s and I even have another two channel amp 100 per ch I could use!

That was an $1,800 AVR. I'd think it would be worth it. Just no Atmos, which is no huge loss. The 7007 received good reviews too.

S&V

Last edited:
I’m gonna get it, well maybe, it’s an Ebay auction item you know. It’s amazing what these sold for when they were the latest and greatest, till the next day and are now obsolete for anyone with money. He paid 1700 from BB. Now he’s got a TOTL probably 4,500 unit. I missed out on another Marantz on CL better than this one by one day. It was 11 channels with atmos and cost much more new.

Last edited:
I wound up not winning the 7007 off eBay but bought one locally from CL. What a beast compared to the lower end Yamaha. It has a microphone to set surround levels but it wouldn’t detect the center channel Klipsch I was using, still had sound through it though. I bought a B & W center, it’s a much better speaker, haven’t set it with the microphone yet. Have the Hs 8 on the front channels and there pretty cool speakers especially what I gave for them.

Back
Top Bottom