Cds trying to think of a reason.

I have over eight thousand or so CD's no how no way will i rip that many..
Besides it's like an LP thing pull out the cover and drop the disc in and read the info.
Miss Album info made the listening more enjoyable IMO.

I have over eight thousand or so CD's no how no way will i rip that many..

That would be an undertaking. Although I have 5,514 albums ripped (so MusicBee tells me)...

Here's a thought, though. When you play a CD, why not rip it whilst you have it out of your store? Or rip it first, then play the ripped version? Certainly, rip new purchases. It takes a couple of minutes these days.

And you can read band profiles, get lyrics, see other albums by the band, both in your ripped collection, and that they've ever released, find similar bands, etc, etc...

I guess i don't mind getting up and swapping a CD after the first one is finished.
I just am that way call it nostalgia or reverse lazy.
I did the Album digital conversion years ago i know that's a PITA but fun at the time.
I still use my SONY RCD-W500C recorder from time to time, been collecting spools of Music Recordable discs from thrift stores when i find them.
I have been ripping CD's on a Terabyte external drive for the last year before transferring tracks to my MP3.

Last edited:
Since I am now "invested" in a Bel Canto digital front end - a DAC 3.3VB - I was offered a Bel Canto CD2 at a good price by a nice AK'er here (thanks @liteagilis !) So it made sense to take him up on that offer. So...listening to it now, going through the DAC...very nice. I think I'll be more inclined to play my CD's again! I was just playing them in the car, but I'm enjoying them spinning in the Bel Canto. I think streaming may sound just a bit better than the CD player, but it sounds very nice, and it's kinda cool to watch a CD spin in this top-loading player. It's also nice only needing to get up half as often as I do when listening through my turntable.

So CD's aren't dead to me yet.

My streaming set-up will be the next thing that needs my attention, but that may be a year or two...I've spent a lot of money on my stereo already this year (replaced amp, DAC, CD player...not to mention the TV...added expensive super tweeters...and bought a new guitar...yeah I'm done for now, lol).

The only value a CD has for me is as a carrier of music into my house. The first thing I do with a CD is clean it. The second is put it in my Mac and rip it to FLAC. The CD is then tossed in a box for storage. The FLAC files are stored on two music servers. I also convert the FLAC to hi-res MP3 for putting on a USB stick that is stuck in my car.

This makes accessing my music much more convenient than using the CD and I have access to high quality music. For the few times that I discover a bad rip, I still have the original CD to re-rip the files.
You prefer FLAC over ALAC as a Mac user?

You prefer FLAC over ALAC as a Mac user?

I do not use iTunes. I prefer a format that is readily useable with many hardware and software solutions. ALAC is too limited by only working within the Apple framework. I am playing the long game. FLAC will be here a long time. Apple's ALAC? Maybe, maybe not. Apple has totally abandoned users before when they introduce new systems, features, etc.

PS: My favored hardware is made by Apple. It works well and is powerful and reliable (and is amazingly inexpensive when buying used on CL). I use multiple operating systems, though. I have a Mac Pro I use as a virtual machine server and my VMs operate under a variety of OSs.

There are three concrete reasons for me to keep using CDs daily:
1) My present collection is of about 11000+ CDs. I've got little time at home as work consumes, unfortunately, most of my life. I don't wish to start a process of ripping CDs with chances of lossing my time instead of enjoying it while listening to music.
2) Hardware: my present CDP is perfect for all my needs: Astin Trew AT 3500+ (factory upgraded). Why should I start the process of finding a DAC that is good enough for me (as I don't have one), again loosing time and money in a project that does not seem to make my life more enjoyable?
3) I enjoy CD hunting at the many local stores that sell either new or used CDs. I like to do that (as well as vinyl records hunting) during the weekends.

Last edited:
You simply integrate the ripping with listening. Set things up such that every time you spin a disc, it's automatically ripped and stored (at full CD resolution). Then, listen away. Once you have a reasonable library of stored CDs, you can play around with various modes of playback to evaluate its quality, efficacy, and "fit" with your preferences. Good luck and happy listening(/ripping).

There are three concrete reasons for me to keep using CDs daily:
1) My present collection is of about 11000+ CDs. I've got little time at home as work consumes, unfortunately, most of my life. I don't wish to start a process of ripping CDs with chances of lossing my time instead of enjoying it while listening to music.
2) Hardware: my present CDP is perfect for all my needs: Astin Trew AT 3500+ (factory upgraded). Why should I start the process of finding a DAC that is good enough for me (as I don't have one), again loosing time and money in a project that does not seem to make my life more enjoyable?
3) I enjoy CD hunting at the many local stores that sell either new or used CDs. I like to do that (as well as vinyl records hunting) during the weekends.

This is another example of the differences among us. You are happy with your arrangement. I am happy doing the exact opposite. We both win.

I buy about 100 used CDs a month. I rip them as a batch when I buy them. It takes less than 10 minutes for me to rip each CD. I record the CD info in my database, create a folder for the files, verify the tag info, polish the surface if dirty/scratched, rip the CD, and verify the rip was successful (I have less than a 1% failure rate for used, scratched CDs). I could streamline the process a bit, but I like the control of curating my collection. This small investment in time allows me to play any CD within seconds of deciding I want to listen to it and I can listen to music all day long without interruption. I no longer have to get up, find the CD I want, insert it in the player, and then repeat the process in about an hour.

Most of my listening is casual, non-critical listening. My collection is readily playable in my office, at home, and in my car. And because it is stored digitally, it is not occupying space in my house.

I rip them as a batch when I buy them.

My process is pretty similar to yours, except I let the ripper do all the folder creation, etc.automatically.
I've got it down to about 5 minutes per CD, processed serially. Clean disc, get & check metadata, rip. Clean and catalogue the next CD whilst the first is ripping.

Rips proceed at about 25x average, so that's about 2-3 minutes per CD.

Last edited:
My reasons:

1. Because I have them.
2. Because I like the content on them.
3. Because I like the way they sound on my SACD player.

I think those reasons should be sufficient. Need another?

4. Because I dread the alternative. After some 30 years of software engineering and system administration, I hate working on computer problems, and mostly won't, unless paid or desperate. Sure I've ripped CDs - I have many on my laptop. I have even more on a now-nearly-bricked Windows 7 machine. I despise forced obsolescence, and hate software that requires fiddling, maintenance, or perpetual updating or replacement. I want software to just work, the way an old-fashioned Bell telephone used to. Or a CD player, for that matter. There are threads here on AK that go on for months, trying to solve folks' computer-audio issues. Not for me. I'm not yet desperate.
Backups are worthless if they have been compromised. Been through that with other data.
I assert that the only way to know that a backup is good is to restore it.

I despise forced obsolescence, and hate software that requires fiddling, maintenance, or perpetual updating

Not all software needs continual updates.
Not all software requires constant fiddling.

Most of the long-running threads are due to people not having A Clue what they are doing, and largely ignoring, or failing to understand good advice they are given. Your development background should mean you won't fall into that camp.

I installed Exact Audio Copy when I got a new (salvaged) Win7 PC in 2016. I've made no updates, settings changes, etc. to it since then. It just does its job, without any fuss.

I have updated MusicBee, but not very often, and only to add features.

Last edited:
I do not use iTunes. I prefer a format that is readily useable with many hardware and software solutions. ALAC is too limited by only working within the Apple framework. I am playing the long game. FLAC will be here a long time. Apple's ALAC? Maybe, maybe not. Apple has totally abandoned users before when they introduce new systems, features, etc.

PS: My favored hardware is made by Apple. It works well and is powerful and reliable (and is amazingly inexpensive when buying used on CL). I use multiple operating systems, though. I have a Mac Pro I use as a virtual machine server and my VMs operate under a variety of OSs.
I've been reviewing used Macs...seems the way to do.

There are threads here on AK that go on for months, trying to solve folks' computer-audio issues. Not for me. I'm not yet desperate.

To be fair I would bet on a lot of that being operator error. I do not have most of the problems people complain about on here. A lot of people do not do well with technology.

:beerchug:

Last edited:
My reasons:

1. Because I have them.
2. Because I like the content on them.
3. Because I like the way they sound on my SACD player.

I think those reasons should be sufficient. Need another?

4. Because I dread the alternative. After some 30 years of software engineering and system administration, I hate working on computer problems, and mostly won't, unless paid or desperate. Sure I've ripped CDs - I have many on my laptop. I have even more on a now-nearly-bricked Windows 7 machine. I despise forced obsolescence, and hate software that requires fiddling, maintenance, or perpetual updating or replacement. I want software to just work, the way an old-fashioned Bell telephone used to. Or a CD player, for that matter. There are threads here on AK that go on for months, trying to solve folks' computer-audio issues. Not for me. I'm not yet desperate.
I assert that the only way to know that a backup is good is to restore it.
If it wasn’t for portability I’d have never put the time and effort of ripping CDs and maintaining libraries over 20 or so years. I’d just listen to the CDs.

I have both a single disc player and a Sony 5 disc carousel player. For hours of music I just load up the carousel. They both play into my Parasound D/AC-1000 DAC.

BillWojo

I know .. I got it! :banana:just thought of a reason … if the Zombie Apocalypse happens and the Interweb & the power grid go down .. those who have portable battery operated CD players will be the only ones able to listen to tunes. Okay .. you'll have to scrounge for the remaining supply of batteries (think Mad Max) but that could be a reason to hold onto CD's. ;)

I know .. I got it! :banana:just thought of a reason … if the Zombie Apocalypse happens and the Interweb & the power grid go down .. those who have portable battery operated CD players will be the only ones able to listen to tunes. Okay .. you'll have to scrounge for the remaining supply of batteries (think Mad Max) but that could be a reason to hold onto CD's. ;)
Stocking up here on Dinki-Di dog food and AA’s and hanging on to my CDs just in case as well.

Back
Top Bottom