Unsurpassed Master Guitarist Playlist

Howard Roberts, Tommy Tedesco, Barney Kessel, Tal Farlow, Kenny Burrell, Hank Garland, etc. The Jazz studio masters were the best of the best. Then there are the Nashville session players from the 50's and Classical legends too. There are several different genres of music besides Rock and most have some astoundingly talented musicians on guitar.

Consider all the genres of music Tommy Tedesco recorded in. He even did Classical recordings on a nylon string guitar playing with a pick (in one of his seminars that's on YouTube he talks about doing that). How many other musicians could pull that trick off?

Nice seeing Barney Kessel getting some love in here on page 1,...

Barney_Kessel.jpg

dude was one cool cat.

Howard Roberts, Tommy Tedesco, Barney Kessel, Tal Farlow, Kenny Burrell, Hank Garland, etc. The Jazz studio masters were the best of the best. Then there are the Nashville session players from the 50's and Classical legends too. There are several different genres of music besides Rock and most have some astoundingly talented musicians on guitar.

Consider all the genres of music Tommy Tedesco recorded in. He even did Classical recordings on a nylon string guitar playing with a pick (in one of his seminars that's on YouTube he talks about doing that). How many other musicians could pull that trick off?

I'll add another to thie Not Rock grouping: Joe Maphis.

Witness Joe pickin', bowin', etc.:
More: Joe + Jimmy Dean

From a studio/session guitarist perspective, Dann Huff is unsurpassed. Madonna, Whitney Houston, Whitesnake ('Here I Go Again'), Faith Hill, Rascal Flatts, Lonestar,... just to name a few.

On guitarist Dann Huff: I have been reading about this cat for years and 'tis generally agreed he's among the best session players of the mid 80s-mid 90s era. Quite versatile, as evidenced even by the "short list" of artists w/ whom he's worked you included in your post.

(The) Cream
The Complete BBC Sessions
(Homemade Records, 2017)

* He was @ the top of his game during his stint with this outfit. Just my two kopecks.

Back
Top Bottom