Sansui 5500

thumper69

I'm not thinking about woofers.
I am wondering if anyone here that owns one can tell me more hands on their opinions on its performance. I have read the hard data and literature that I can see online but want real world info if that makes sense to anyone. If it helps it will be powering 1976 large Advents OR a set of a25s, depending on the mood. I will be using a Crown d150a series 2 for power through the pre outs or should I even bother with it if the Sansuis 55 watts are honest?

Exactly, that's the dilemma. No designation in mine. Maybe a PX buy? Check these out. I have a few more pics but you get the gist. I feel compelled to say that the hand you see in the faceplate reflection is not mine. Not that I mind knuckle tats, his were just really bad.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181021-103810.png
    Screenshot_20181021-103810.png
    218.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot_20181021-103814.png
    Screenshot_20181021-103814.png
    238.7 KB · Views: 82
Looks like it’s in the 5000 line of receiver’s for Japan domestic market,
The 3 rd number in serial # is the year mfg for a 9 digit seria # ,2nd digit for an 8 #.
If any thing the Watts per channel were under stated in Sansui units from what I have read because different mfg used different formulas to come up with the Watts per channel.
If memory serves me correctly the 5000,A and X models were 50 Watts per channel which when played sure seemed like more to my ears.
Hope the helps. Ken

It's a 9 digit number and the 3rd number is a 3. I guess that makes it either 1973 or 1983? I believe it's rated at 55 watts per channel but it's the 2 phone inputs and 4 speaker outs I like.

The 5500 is a somewhat uncommon model of receiver. Related to the 3300 I believe, made in the same time frame and very similar in appearance. 1973 would be the year of manufacture based on the year digit 3, as it clearly isn't a 1983 model.

Not sure what Sansui was doing with so many different receiver lines at the same time, as the 3300/5500 coincide somewhat with the time frame in which the six, seven, eight and eight deluxe as well as the 221-881 were being produced and probably the 7000 as well. I believe the 5000X was also still in production for at least part of 1973. That makes at three distinct lines of stereo receivers (to say nothing of the quad lineup of the same era) being made and sold with at least some overlap. Strikes me as a bit superfluous, but I guess they had some rationale for that arrangement.

FWIW, receivers were never popular in Japan, and nearly all receivers Sansui made were for export markets (mostly North America and Europe, though they were also sold in the middle east and parts of South America and Australia as well). The Japanese audio market has always been more enamored of separates, as they are generally perceived as being of higher quality and performance, where receivers are usually a bit of a compromise. Which is not to say that Sansui - and others - didn't make some phenomenal receivers.

I'd figure about the only receivers sold in Japan post 1970 (when separates became fairly commonplace) were those sold in US military base exchanges to those stationed there.

Thank you for the information. I did read somewhere about them being available in a PX, and that is most likely how this one got to Kentucky. My hope is that whichever service member that it belonged to has led a safe and happy life and I thank them for their service. The Sansui is currently in a professional repair facility being cleaned and serviced and when finished will be living a long happy life in a comfortable spot in our living room being enjoyed daily powering Large Advents and/ or a25s. There are so many inputs it's almost silly but very cool and I guess beyond my facilities to understand how or why to use them all. 4 separate 2 channel speaker outs even. I have not heard it yet but I'm going to guess coming from a Sony 6046a I am going to like the 5500. As far as low middle or high end when new I am guessing again that it was Sansuis middle of the road model with a lot of bells and whistles the Americans would like but not one of their ?best? models, so to speak. Anyway, I'm excited to give it a listen and am looking forward to it being ready to go.

D8129080-B5B9-48C9-8081-3C7900FF0CA0.jpeg

Yes, what would you like to know?

I am wondering if anyone here that owns one can tell me more hands on their opinions on its performance. I have read the hard data and literature that I can see online but want real world info if that makes sense to anyone. If it helps it will be powering 1976 large Advents OR a set of a25s, depending on the mood. I will be using a Crown d150a series 2 for power through the pre outs or should I even bother with it if the Sansuis 55 watts are honest?

View attachment 1316331

Yes, what would you like to know?
That looks nice. I can't wait until mines finished. I see your is in use, that's a good sign right there. I bet my table will be sounding good through the Sansui phono stage, I'm tired of having to use the crappy outboard pre amp whileI'm waiting for the tune up to be done. My Marantz doesn't have a built in and the only pre amp I have is a Pyle so to say the least we are not listening to records as much until the Sansui is done and back home. My question specifically is this. Where in the lineup did this particular 5500 species lay within the Sansui universe the year of manufacture? Entry level, midfi, or high end domestic (Japan) or low mid or high end export? Is this one a "collectible" Sansui? What did it sell for new? I'm not worried about current value at all because it already has a forever home.

That looks nice. I can't wait until mines finished. I see your is in use, that's a good sign right there. I bet my table will be sounding good through the Sansui phono stage, I'm tired of having to use the crappy outboard pre amp whileI'm waiting for the tune up to be done. My Marantz doesn't have a built in and the only pre amp I have is a Pyle so to say the least we are not listening to records as much until the Sansui is done and back home. My question specifically is this. Where in the lineup did this particular 5500 species lay within the Sansui universe the year of manufacture? Entry level, midfi, or high end domestic (Japan) or low mid or high end export? Is this one a "collectible" Sansui? What did it sell for new? I'm not worried about current value at all because it already has a forever home.

The 5500 from what i can glean was the TOTL (above the 3300) Mine is a circa 1973 model. I do believe these were specifically designed for the military/PX market and only available through that route. Not sure about collectible, but you don’t see many of them, that is for sure. Also I do not know what the original sale price was, sorry. I can say this, it sounds EXCELLENT. I currently am using it as a preamp for my Phase Linear and will probably use it as a stand alone once my Dynaco A-25’s are done.
Glad you got it! Enjoy the great world of Sansui! Wattage is rated at 45 wpc. It punches WAY above that though! The build quality seems to be in line with the single digit series receivers....

Last edited:
The 5500 from what i can glean was the TOTL (above the 5000). Mine is a circa 1973 model. I do believe these were specifically designed for the military/PX market and only available through that route. Not sure about collectible, but you don’t see many of them, that is for sure. Also I do not know what the original sale price was, sorry. I can say this, it sounds EXCELLENT. I currently am using it as a preamp for my Phase Linear and will probably use it as a stand alone once my Dynaco A-25’s are done.
Glad you got it! Enjoy the great world of Sansui! Wattage is rated at 45 wpc. It punches WAY above that though!
Mine will be a pre for my 1976 Large Advents. Left speaker has a Crown d150a series 2 in bridged mono and right speaker has a Jamo mpa 101 in bridged mono. It sounds great like it is, but when I get my 5500 back I will really know what they sound like. Thanks for the great information and I'm glad it sounds so good.

Mine will be a pre for my 1976 Large Advents. Left speaker has a Crown d150a series 2 in bridged mono and right speaker has a Jamo mpa 101 in bridged mono. It sounds great like it is, but when I get my 5500 back I will really know what they sound like. Thanks for the great information and I'm glad it sounds so good.

You are most welcome Sir. Enjoy your listening :)

@thumper69, I found the below info on another thread. It may give you an indication of value for the 5500.

s it bad form to pull up a year-old thread? I just wanted to say that your theory about the 3300 being sold through military stores only may be accurate. I just bought a 3300 and the previous (original) owner was a veteran as well. In fact, he gave me the original receipt from when he bought it at the Exchange Service for $247 in 1973! 2 cases out of 2 doesn't prove anything, but it sure seems more than coincidental.

Regards

I have one I got from a veteran locally, I've always wondered where it fit in the order.
Seems to have a multitude of functions, have the placard with it also.
Beautiful piece of Sansui history.

I have one I got from a veteran locally, I've always wondered where it fit in the order.
Seems to have a multitude of functions, have the placard with it also.
Beautiful piece of Sansui history.

I think they must have sold a ton of these during the Vietnam War era....

The 5500 is rated at 45WPC. We have 25 examples recorded in the database. The units we have on file were manufactured between July '72 and January '74. The units were manufactured on Line 21 in 1972 and switched to Line 22 in 1973. The 5500 was manufactured concurrently with the Eight and then Eight Deluxe which were rated at 60WPC and were the TOTL models during that time frame.

Please post your serial number so we can add it to the Database.

There has been a lot of speculation about Sansui models only available through the PX system. Does your 5500 have a EP sticker on it?

- Pete

The serial number on mine is 223060987, and I will check tomorrow for the diamond ep sticker. Thank you for that information, it always is nice to know as much about ones equipment as you can,IMHO. That doesn't seem like a lot of units in the database, so it must be a lesser seen unit at least. I can't wait until mine is back from the tune up shop.

Last edited:
I think they must have sold a ton of these during the Vietnam War era....
I can see why. I can't think of an input or function it doesn't have. Plus all those cool buttons and separate bass and treble for each speaker. If I were in the store when this was new, I would've been enamored too.

I still have my 5500 from my Navy days. It must have been '74. It is working like it was new, I always babied it. I did not know much about it when I bought it, other than I liked the looks of it. Along with it I got an FR-4060 TT and the SP 2700A speakers with the lattice front. All are in near perfect working condition.

Back
Top Bottom