"I've made a terrible mistake" - Gob

StoryMe

Hangs his head and sighs.... I messed up.

I needed to clean the knobs on a Marantz 2270 that I'd picked up and was refurbing a bit before putting into use. New bulbs, new velum, new power switch, cleaned pots. I was learning a bit as I went and had watched a youtube video suggesting that I soak the knobs in some 409 cleaner to clean them up. So I dumped some in a glass jar and threw the knobs in. Then forgot about them. Then left town for 4 days.

When I took the knobs out, to my absolute horror, each looked like they'd been burned with a lighter. The structure of the knobs are the same. Same texture. No physical damage. But the visual is catastrophic. They are each their own very special brand of ruined: matted patchy black and splotchy chalky white.

I don't know what to do. And of course these knobs are like $30 a piece on ebay. So I've essentially done something like $150 in damage in one fell swoop. The word crestfallen comes to mind.

I'm wondering three things:
Is re-plating possible?
Is paint an option?
Any leads on a reasonably priced set of replacement knobs?

If anyone has any experience with similar or suggestions, or even if you just want to give me a hard time, I'm all ears. I certainly deserve it. I'm at a loss.

Lesson learned: Don't soak your knobs in 409 for too long

Attachments

• IMG_0435.JPG
    IMG_0435.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0436.JPG
    IMG_0436.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0437.JPG
    IMG_0437.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 195
409 they still make that stuff?! Must have been the ammonium that did that. Soap and water works well.

I would try a good paste type metal polish like Flitz, Simichrome etc. It looks like the ammonia just discolored the metal. I would think you could bring those back with careful hand polishing...

I would try a good paste type metal polish like Flitz, Simichrome etc. It looks like the ammonia just discolored the metal. I would think you could bring those back with careful hand polishing...

Just the type of advice I came here for. I'll give this a shot and report back. Thanks Sandstrom

If anyone has any experience with similar or suggestions, or even if you just want to give me a hard time, I'm all ears. I certainly deserve it. I'm at a loss.

Well, I would really like to bust your chops, but I feel generous today. :rflmao:

Instead, Welcome to AK! :beerchug:

Simichrome or other polish will probably alter the original satin finish to something shiny.
Be warned.

Welcome to AK!

If you have access to a dremel type hand tool. They have a small brass wire brush and cloth attachments that may clean them up.
Doubt it hand applied car or plastic polish will cut thru that buildup.

The black stain may be chemically reversed by the right treatment, but I don't know what that is.

Back
Top Bottom