Sherwood S-3000 lll

silversport

I have a question about connecting my Sherwood S-3000 lll...it looks different than most photos I can find of this Tuner, something I understand Sherwood was famous for...

I do not have an owners manual for the S-3000 lll but I do for the S-3000 so I can get some idea as to proper connections...but

when connecting this FM Mono Tuner to my EICO HF-81 I see on the back Output for Channel 1 and Output for Channel 2...I do not have a connected MPX so do I use both of the outputs to connect to the left and right channel of my stereo EICO or do I use one channel (perhaps Channel 1) and use a Y splitter into the EICO???

I just want to listen in the best possible way without connecting something and having any surprises...

Any help would be appreciated

Bill

I think the S-3000III, sans the optional onboard MPX adaptor "module", probably passes its mono signal through one of those two outputs on the back apron. It is possible that both pass the mono signal (in the absence of the MPX adaptor).
I am not sure.

I did find this on AA; cannot vouch for its accuracy, though.
http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=tuner&n=3309&highlight=sherwood+s-3000+iii&search_url=/default.mpl?searchtext=sherwood+s-3000+iii&b=AND&topic=&topics_only=N&author=&date1=&date2=&slowmessage=&ip=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&sortRank=Forum&forum=tuner

If, in fact, both of the outputs on a "mono" S-3000III are "live", and if one is an output designed to connect to an outboard MPX detector -- the latter output will sound funny (it is, if memory serves, pre-deemphasis) and it won't respond to the level (volume) adjustment control.

I wish I had more concrete info but the III is one variant of this fine, fine tuner that I do not/have now owned :(

A gorgeous S-3000III photo from AA :)
upload_2018-10-28_18-57-32.png

upload_2018-10-28_18-59-21.png

I note that Sams has the S-3000III in set #544. I may well have Sams #544, and I will check in the fullness of time :p
I am curious about this myself!
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sherwood_fmmpx_stereo_tuner_s_3000_iii_3.html

Last edited:
I should learn to just send a message to you first...you've always been there for me and I appreciate you putting up with me...

mine looks similar to the one you have pictured but...

Mine has the Hush on the left front slider switch
Mine has the AFC on and off on the right side slider switch
Mine has two detents in the left front round Power switch (I need to go to the second detent to hear anything)
Mine has the curious volume control

Incidentally...as written in my Sherwood S-1000 manual...I am supposed to use that volume level adjustment to get to as loud as I want to ever hear the Tuner with the Loudness (volume knob) on the S-1000 monaural amp set to 0 (the middle Loudness setting on the amp) and from then on only use the Loudness knob to get to whatever volume I'd like to listen to...

There is a convenience plug on the back of the amp for the Tuner so it comes on whenever I power on the amp but it gets pretty hot from the Tubes so I don't use it...

I tried both channels with the Tuner attached to my mono S-1000 and it would seem that they sound identical and of course Mono when only using Channel 1 or Channel 2...

...and they both respond to the volume level control

Thanks SO much!

Bill

Last edited:
Well, someone here may actually know the answer to your questions! ;)
I am guessing when it comes to the III.

... and, as you know, I love these tuners!

just made a donation to this site in your name...I enjoy this Tuner as well and get to enjoy it more because of your help! :bowdown:

thanks again

Bill

My Dad used to run Sherwood gear back in the 1960s. He had that S3000III pictured above. Whoever owns that one has a beauty on their hands.

I am pretty sure from my Sherwood tuner research that the S-3000 III does not have an MPX out, they were expecting you to buy an adapter that you attached on board the unit. If you pop the top off you should see where it would attach, unless you actually have one installed. Model re-designs moved fast in the early days of FM stereo, so this model was replaced fairly quickly with the IV, which had the MPX section built-in.

mine has the spot where the MPX would go but isn't there...on the back there is a blocked spot where the connection would be...interestingly to me is there is a output 1 and output 2 jack on the back of a monaural tuner...using both though seems to allow me to hear monaural from both channels with my EICO HF-81

Bill

my father also had Sherwood in the form of an S-1000 mono amp which I currently have an EICO HFT-92 mono AM/FM/MPX tuner but it also lacks the multiplexer...

Bill

Your new Sherwood will make a perfect complement to the S-1000! Is that why you got it?

Might be interesting some time to see how the jacks are wired in the S3000-III and trace them back.

They might well be two mono outputs in the absence of the drop-in MPX detector.
I've actually been fairly busy (plus fighting a cold) so I haven't had a chance to go spelunking to see if the Sams is in the basement for this tuner.

I am pretty sure from my Sherwood tuner research that the S-3000 III does not have an MPX out, they were expecting you to buy an adapter that you attached on board the unit. If you pop the top off you should see where it would attach, unless you actually have one installed. Model re-designs moved fast in the early days of FM stereo, so this model was replaced fairly quickly with the IV, which had the MPX section built-in.

Yes, correct - both RCA outputs on the back, with no adapter, are mono and tied together (via the front panel controls)
There were 2 different models of the S3000III, one used a tube diode in the detector, the other used geranium diodes.

Both versions lacked a MPX out jack. You can wire up your own, but it will need a coupling cap (pin 2 on the multi-pin round back deck plug). Be careful with that plug, there is also 150V there on one pin.

All the info you need on it is located here, but you need to join the Yahoo group to see it. This is the secret area where we stash all the tube tuner manuals/schematics.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FMTunersPhotosand4Sale/files/Sherwood S-3000 III/

Yes, correct - both RCA outputs on the back, with no adapter, are mono and tied together (via the front panel controls)
There were 2 different models of the S3000III, one used a tube diode in the detector, the other used geranium diodes.

Both versions lacked a MPX out jack. You can wire up your own, but it will need a coupling cap (pin 2 on the multi-pin round back deck plug). Be careful with that plug, there is also 150V there on one pin.

All the info you need on it is located here, but you need to join the Yahoo group to see it. This is the secret area where we stash all the tube tuner manuals/schematics.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FMTunersPhotosand4Sale/files/Sherwood S-3000 III/
Thanks, and great to see your post here!
I still :( have one of your mpx boards in the basement for a Sherwood experiment that (still) hasn't happened.

Your new Sherwood will make a perfect complement to the S-1000! Is that why you got it?

Might be interesting some time to see how the jacks are wired in the S3000-III and trace them back.
yes, that was the original reason I bought this Tuner but I have also used it with an EICO HF-81

Back
Top Bottom