Volt+ D vs NuForce STA200

gkarelitsky

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Looking for a small form factor amp to drive older B&W speakers of 90 db SPL. Preamp is a NuForce HAP-100. Not looking to rock out the house but would like good dynamics for jazz and classical, primarily.

I have read good things about both amps here on AK. The Volt + D seems like a good value but would it be outclassed by the NuForce? Any benefit staying with the NuForce brand?

As far as I know, there are no tests of the Volt+D to back up that assumption.
Even Allo offers nothing of the sort.

But there are plenty of resources that have measured the various Chinese implementations of the tpa3116. The general conclusions are, the tpa3116 only measures poorly when gain is set too high from the factory.

Try the NuForce. Send it back if you don't like it. Chances are good you will keep it, I believe. That HAP-100 is a pretty good little preamp. I had one. Only sold it because no one used it in the guest bedroom - I just had one too many systems.

Last edited:
Appreciate the feedback. No concerns about driving the somewhat inefficient B&Ws?

ClassD amps actually drive low impedance speakers better, long as power supply and cooling is adequate. Remember they were originally designed for automobile use to drive 2ohm speakers.

I decided to go with the Volt + D and it arrived yesterday. Initial reactions are quite good. Ample power to drive the B&Ws at the lower gain setting with nice dynamics. Can’t say that I understand why but it seems to provide a noticeable soundstage. Looking forward to seeing if it improves after a break-in period. Very happy with the performance at price.

How did it take me 15 days to see this thread?!?!?! I am SOOOOOOOOO close to pulling the trigger on the STA-200. I have a thread over in solid state on the STA-200. I also love my Volt+. But am considering the +D.

I decided to go with the Volt + D and it arrived yesterday. Initial reactions are quite good. Ample power to drive the B&Ws at the lower gain setting with nice dynamics. Can’t say that I understand why but it seems to provide a noticeable soundstage. Looking forward to seeing if it improves after a break-in period. Very happy with the performance at price.

Looking forward hearing more impressions. I have the normal Volt+ and am thinking about going to the +D.
if you go ahead with it be sure to come back here with your impression and comparison.

Without a doubt. I am leaning more towards the VOLT+D though. A lot less expensive.

Well it’s been over a month since you have had your Volt+D. How do you feel about it now?

I said I was leaning towards the Volt+D but since I already own the Volt+, I am going to get something else. Most likely the STA200 if it is still available in a month when I am planning to make a purchase.

Well it’s been over a month since you have had your Volt+D. How do you feel about it now?

I am enjoying it. I have to look at other speakers, though. It is currently driving a pair of B&W DM 602s which may not be efficient enough at 90 dB SPL.

I am enjoying it. I have to look at other speakers, though. It is currently driving a pair of B&W DM 602s which may not be efficient enough at 90 dB SPL.
is it quiet? if there is nothing playing do you hear a hiss or humm from your speakers up close? this is a concern for me because my main speakers are 98db efficient.

I find it to be quiet, but again, with inefficient speakers, so ymmv. No hiss or hum at all with my cdp or CCA. There is sometimes a bit of noise with phono but that may be a separate issue. My TT is not well isolated at the moment.

Figured out my problem with phono. I tried 4 TTs in that same location and they all produced lots of noise. I was beginning to think that I was done with vinyl.

My son came over and suggested I move the CCA away from all the cables and voila.

Looking for a small form factor amp to drive older B&W speakers of 90 db SPL. Preamp is a NuForce HAP-100. Not looking to rock out the house but would like good dynamics for jazz and classical, primarily.

I have read good things about both amps here on AK. The Volt + D seems like a good value but would it be outclassed by the NuForce? Any benefit staying with the NuForce brand?

Guess I will get to answer this question real soon! I am giving the NuForce a spin and see what happens.
Real curious to see how a $69 amp stacks up to a $1399 now $499 amp. True David and Goliath battle.

Back
Top Bottom