Technics SL-P1300

I would use the coax output on the Technics. Optical generally has much more jitter. Use the highest quality RCA cables you care to buy/use. Any input on your Luxman other than Phono will suffice.

Thanks for the reply.

Which hookup would be the most efficient going to and from the Topping D30 and an old Luxman L-435 integrated amp. :idea:
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/luxman/l-435.shtml

Coax from Technics to Topping. That leaves the optical open for something like a Chromecast Audio if you want to stream.

I used regular AUX input on a Lux receiver at my place. Always do for DAC's on any receiver/amp that has one.

Eric

I would use the coax output on the Technics. Optical generally has much more jitter. Use the highest quality RCA cables you care to buy/use. Any input on your Luxman other than Phono will suffice.

Coax from Technics to Topping. That leaves the optical open for something like a Chromecast Audio if you want to stream.

I used regular AUX input on a Lux receiver at my place. Always do for DAC's on any receiver/amp that has one.

Eric

Thank you both for the suggestions, I will try and find a coaxial cable set first.

One that is about three to six feet long. :idea:

I found the Topping D30 on Amazon Canada:
https://www.amazon.ca/Topping-Decoder-Coaxial-Optical-CS4398/dp/B01L1SDKUQ

Will also be looking into availability in local stores too.

Won't be buying till the end of the month.

In the mean time, are there any other Asian-Japan, US-North America, Euro made similar item I should look into?

Trying to broaden my limited knowledge in this area. :)

Broaden away:
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/master-index-for-audio-hardware-reviews.2079/

Eric

What is it you are hoping to achieve by connecting a cheap, Chinese D/A converter to the Technics? An external D/A, not synchronized will never achieve jitter levels even remotely close to an integrated (one piece) unit. The D/As in the 1300 are more than good enough for RBCD and the Topping has nothing to offer in this regard.

What is it you are hoping to achieve by connecting a cheap, Chinese D/A converter to the Technics? An external D/A, not synchronized will never achieve jitter levels even remotely close to an integrated (one piece) unit. The D/As in the 1300 are more than good enough for RBCD and the Topping has nothing to offer in this regard.

Update and hopefully upgrade the sound reproduction overall.

If the Topping D30 is not good enough, what would be? :idea:

If the Topping D30 is not good enough, what would be?

The little Topping is fine. It's performance is excellent for the money and it outperforms an awful lot of other inexpensive (and expensive) D/A converters.

The inbuilt D/A converters in the 1300 have the benefit of being slaved to the internal clocks and are more than good enough for RBCD. In fact there are 4 PCM-56 selection K D/A converters arranged as bit shifting 18 bit 8 times oversampling. S/N is specified at 112dB and other parameters are truly excellent.

As such, I don't believe there will be room for improvement with CD sources from that unit.

As the Topping is pretty cheap, you can always try it I guess, but unless you are going to feed it other digital sources, it is, in my opinion a waste of money for RBCD.

Last edited:
The little Topping is fine. It's performance is excellent for the money and it outperforms an awful lot of other inexpensive (and expensive) D/A converters.

The inbuilt D/A converters in the 1300 have the benefit of being slaved to the internal clocks and are more than good enough for RBCD. In fact there are 4 PCM-56 selection K D/A converters arranged as bit shifting 18 bit 8 times oversampling. S/N is specified at 112dB and other parameters are truly excellent.

As such, I don't believe there will be room for improvement with CD sources from that unit.

As the Topping is pretty cheap, you can always try it I guess, but unless you are going to feed it other digital sources, it is, in my opinion a waste of money for RBCD.

X2

Thanks for the explanation.

I will probably delay the Topping D-30 acquisition.

Trying to determine whether the Technics SH-X1000 was ever exported to North America or not. :idea:

Will the Technics SH-X1000 in conjunction with the Technics SL-P1300 provide a big enough improvement in sound or better left to be used with the Technics SL-Z1000 unit that it was matched with?

Trying to determine whether the Technics SH-X1000 was ever exported to North America or not. :idea:

Will the Technics SH-X1000 in conjunction with the Technics SL-P1300 provide a big enough improvement in sound or better left to be used with the Technics SL-Z1000 unit that it was matched with?

Yes, it was exported to North America (although mine is a Japanese Market version). Must have been in really small numbers. The Z1000 would be the ultimate transport match, but the X1000 will work great with any player with a good digital output. I don't have the Z1000, so I am currently use a Sony CDP-608ESD as the main digital source for my Technics SH-X1000 DAC. Sounds wonderful. I would think your 1300 would be killer with the X1000.

Back
Top Bottom