Sound difference between and AS-200 and AS-300 speakers?

bluesky

Addicted Member
Has anyone heard both the AS-200 and AS-300 Sansui speakers?

1. Which one did you like better?
2. What was the difference in sound??

I have read that the AS-200s are mellower than the AS-300s. I also read that the AS-300s have more base.

3. Have you found that the AS-300s have more base than the AS-200?

I'm on the lookout for a pair of AS-300 speakers but recently I did see a pair of AS-200s on eBay but no one met the sellers reserve price that he wanted, whatever that was. I got a pair of AS-100s and am totally impressed! They just sound so fine! Quite unbelievable really.

Thanks guys!

I have not heard the 200s or 300s, but I can vouch for the often-overlooked Sansui AS line. I use AS-100s in my office system and they are a superb speaker.

Good luck in your AS quest.

Ken

As the owner of one pair of AS-100, two pairs of AS-200 and a pair of AS-300, I can make a few comments. Indeed the 200 are a bit more laid back. It is also quite true that the bass response of the 300 is better. None of these are bad speakers. Mine are still with original capacitors so there is likely room for improvement there. Recently I was able to audition a pair of large advents. While the cone tweeter of the 300 is not dazzling as the fried egg it the bass is right there and the mids seem just as good too. I think you would be happy with any of the series. My favorites are the 300 and 100 though.
they are a very attractive speaker and weigh quite a bit. Definitely a speaker that goes under the radar. Mine were all ebay purchase with local pickup. Never had anyone even bid against me. All went for less than twenty dollars.

Thanks bryana.

I keep watchin eBay for a pair of AS-300s but haven't gotten lucky yet. When the time comes, no hurry. I saw a pair of AS-200s with the only bid at $45 but the 'reserve' wasn't met. Saw a pair of AS-100s for sale up in Seattle too, bout $40, but no one got them.

I got a pair of 100s in great shape from Goodwill for $9.98. All I can say is the sound is 'quite unbelievable' really. Sensitive treble, great base, and super soundstage. I figure if that's what the 100s sound like, the 300s must really be a nice speaker so someday..... Yes, they are sleepers, for sure.

Thanks for the info bryana.

Hi again,

One other question: Have you ever taken out the mid or woofer? I read that they are really glued in and Very Hard to remove. I'd like to dioxit the treble switch. I read that one guy said it was a bear to get out. If you have removed the mid or woofer, how did you do it and what type of glue did you use to reglue them in place?

I read that the 100s only have 'one cap' to the tweeter. That's the crossover! The woofer runs right direct from the amp. Mine are like yours, they sound wonderful and I wouldn't even dream of replacing the cap. They are perfect as is.

I also have 2 pair of SP-2000s (1 pr NOS stored). The pair I'm using sound really great too, I have no idea why, but they do. Guess I got lucky. I wouldn't touch them eather. At least, not for now. Like they say: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I love the sound of ported SP-2000s, always have and always will, but I'm finding that I play the AS-100s most of the time now. Just totally a different sound. Very nice. Sansui's acoustic suspension speakers are really way under the radar and total winners! I love em. Also heard they were modeled after KLHs.

Once again, thanks for the info!!

I did pull a woofer on the 200s THey are sealed in pretty good. Its been about a year or more but I believe I used a small flat bar. A catspaw may work as well. I did not reglue it so it likely leaks a bit. I would suspect any decent acrylic caulk would be fine. I bet if you check around a solution has been offered for some speaker.
Perfect is subjective since I do not know what they sounded like when new. I would imagine a recap would only be beneficial. Just have not taken the time yet.
One thing I have noticed with these is that the dope they use on the cloth surrounds tends to sag over time. One of my 100s grills is permenantly stained. I think an easy solution is to rotate the driver 180 degrees so that the ooze is not running over the grills.
The cloth they use on the grills is unlike any I have ever seen. It is so unique and special. I just love to sit and look at it. There is nothing cheap or cheesy about these. For the money I think they are a tremendous value. Wonder why they quit making these and went for the kabuki style. Disclaimer I do own a pair of spx5500. they can sound pretty nice on certain styles of music.
I drive mine with a sansui 8080. What are you using????

I was using an AU-717 (until it crashed hard - it needs a 'total' refirbrishment). Then I was using my backup AU-D77X amp that always functioned fine (the always stable amp)...until it crashed too. ugh. I think it's a quick fix to fix that one, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Now I'm using my 1989 Sony amp which really does sound good, suprisingly good actually. When the Sansuis crashed I was very disappointed but then I plugged in the Sony and was very pleasently suprised by the sound through the living room speaker system! Bought it new in '89 and it's just been a great bedroom amp...that we rarely used, until now. Now it's the living room amp for awhile. Got it plugged into the AS-100s and a pair of SP-2000s. Got to get the Sansuis fixed, I'm on a waiting list for the 717.

The AS speakers do have that black gunk on the speakers that do head south from gravity, a very 'very' common problem with AS-100s. One of my speaker grills also have the small black stain on the bottom of the grill cloth. At least we both have only one stain, most people with 100s have both speaker grills stained. I was wondering how to get the stain off??? But, it's not hurting anything. My thinking is leave well enough alone.

Good to hear you got a speaker out of the cabinet. The only problem I have with one of the two speakers is that the treble control really needs some dioxit. In certain switch positions the speakers function perfect! and in some positions they don't, due to the dirty 'L' pads (I think that's the name). The other speaker pad is perfect and very sensitive. Bottom line is they sound so 'wonderful' I just don't want to mess with em. I mean, they are 38 years old and they work perfect. The sound is quite amazing, soundstage is unbelievable, and yes...so are the grills!! I love the looks of the grills!!! Really Cool!! Very stylish cloth grills!!

I have two pair of SP-2000s. One pair definately needs a crossover rebuild. The other pair, that I'm using, sound great. I have no idea why they should sound so good. They are untouched. I have always liked the ported sound but now I am totally into the acoustic suspension sound from the 100s. That's why I am on the lookout for a minty pair of AS-300s. Sooner or later they will show up somewhere.

The AS speakers are really quite 'lovely' soundwise. I have no idea why they discontinued them. All I can figure out it that during the 70's many people were into the rock and roll ported big power sound, especially the military GIs (Vietnam, etc) and this was the major buyer of Sansui equipment through the military exchanges. I figure that was the sound prefered, that's what sold, and that is what Sansui made to sell, business. The ported sound was prefered over the AS sound. Big rockin ZEP, Floyd, Stones, Hendrix, etc. I may not be right, but I'm definately not wrong. Big ported speakers is what everyone wanted and that's what sold.

But yes, I do wish Sansui kept up the AS line! The AS speakers do sound simply wonderful! KLH copies from what has been stated before by other AK members.

One other thing I have found. You can listen to them all-day-long and they 'never' get tiring! Never.

Just great speakers!!

Tell you what,
I will trade you my stained AS 100 grill for your clean one. I will pay all shipping charges to boot. ;)
The cabinets refinish so well on these as well. I think they used some fairly thick veneer because I was able to sand out some fairly deep scratches and did not got through it.
Speaking again of grill cloth I would love to find a source for that fabric. I would really like to replace my 100s fabric and to repair one of my 200s that has a snag in one. Never seen anything like it on any other brand.

THis is not my pair of AS300 but mine look nearly the same. Mine do not have the same style of covers on the mids and tweeters.
If you find them grab them. They do not seem to appear all that often.

Attachments

• as-300.jpg
    as-300.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 106
Yes, the grill cloth is really quite nice and they have a very beautifully design. Very different textures. It is very 70s but they look great and timeless! Very different design! The wood vaneer on my 100s are in fairly excellent shape, just a small abraisian here and there in only a couple small spots, no dings (unbelievable), and no sanding required. It's good to know you can sand em out though. Any info is good info. I just cleaned em up and put Old English oil on them and they look great. They are fairly 'heavy speakers' too for their size, I agree. Very solid construction. KLH copies so another AK member told me. I saw some KLH speakers on eBay and the 100s looked almost exact to the KLHs.

For me it is just hard to believe the truly 'wonderful sound' that these 100s put out. It is quite amazing really. It amazes me every time I play them. And the tweets are so sensitive with the treble adjustment switch. When I saw them in the goodwill I though that they would make good garage speakers 'if they worked'. I got them home and to my suprise not only did they work, but they sounded as good as NEW! It blew me away. Not bad for 1970. Sansui made their equipment to last! Needless to say, I just cleaned em up, oiled em, and now they are in my living room to stay (next to the SP-2000s)! Yeah, just too bad about the tar like stuff that drips down and off of the woofers staining the cloth grills, but that's ok, everyone with 100s has the same problem. My stains aren't bad, just 1/8 inch wide and about 1 inch long on one speaker only. I figure rather than try to remove the tar, just live with it. The cloths has probably saturated stained anyway.

Just like you said, total sleepers. I would recommend them to anyone. They sound that great and never tiring at all. Just great speakers with a very great sound. I listen to them a lot more now than the SP-2000s. The AS speakers just have a very different sound than the SP speakers. You can just put em on and listen to them all day long.

Someday...a pair of minty AS-300s will find their way to me!! Your lucky to have yours! I'll just be patient and they will come. I just love the sound of these Sansui 'acoustic suspension' speakers. You put em on, listen to em, then you think they sound nice...then you really listen to them, and you just go wow! I am partial to Sansui but these AS speakers are really something else!!

Now lets not talk these up too much. I have noticed all of Sansuis SP series speakers seem to garner more interest nowdays on that auction site. Lets just keep these to ourselves and collect (hoard?) them as they come available. The two hundreds are earmaked for a quad setup if that when and if that ever comes about. Honestly the stereo room is pretty full right now and am actually quite happy right now.
BTW another set of speakers that I have found for cheap that sound pretty nice are Sylvania. You just never know...Keep an open mind.

Talk what up???? LOL :D

I was thinking the same thing! We awoke the 'sleepers"!

I really like the SP-2000s. I know many don't like Sansui's speakers. To me, they sound pretty darn nice! I have always loved the Sansui sound since way back. I got the SP-2000s I'm using currently, and they sound great!, and I got a pair of brand new factory fresh 2000s in the boxes in the guest closet stored for a later day. Not even a fingerprint on em. It's just really nice to have em all tucked away!!

I'd also just like to get an 'AU-X1111 mos vintage' or one of the 607s or 907s. It's going through my mind heavy, like....everyday. I got some extra Fender gear I could sell and it would just be a swap, 2 vintage Fender guitars (one base and one 6 string) for one of Sansui's TOL amps. That sounds like an ok swap to me!! :>)

Thanks for the all the information and advice!! :thmbsp:

Reviving a ten year dormant thread here.

I just acquired a pair of AS-200's two days ago at my local thrift shop. I don't think they had any idea where to price them as I got them for $10.00 in near mint condition. A few scratches, a few stains on the grille cloth.
They are my first acoustic suspension speakers.
I echo all the thoughts you've shared about these marvels. Mine appear to be untouched as far as I can tell and still sound amazing after nearly fifty years since production. Must have been some excellent circuitry incorporated into the crossovers.

Would love to get in there with the Deoxit and try to clean the pots, but don't really want to break the factory seal on the woofers.

Thought about replacing the grille cloth but after reading everyone's enthusiasm about that fascinating fabric I've thought better of it.

I intend to leave them as is. The sound is mellow, accurate and natural. Better suited to acoustic recordings perhaps, but the little bit of rock and metal that I've listened to on them sounds very good as well.

Pictures tell the story better than I can.
053.jpg

057.jpg

056.jpg

088.jpg

079.jpg

080.jpg

Last edited:
Reviving a ten year dormant thread here.

I just acquired a pair of AS-200's two days ago at my local thrift shop. I don't think they had any idea where to price them as I got them for $10.00 in near mint condition. A few scratches, a few stains on the grille cloth.
They are my first acoustic suspension speakers.
I echo all the thoughts you've shared about these marvels. Mine appear to be untouched as far as I can tell and still sound amazing after nearly fifty years since production. Must have been some excellent circuitry incorporated into the crossovers.

Would love to get in there with the Deoxit and try to clean the pots, but don't really want to break the factory seal on the woofers.

Thought about replacing the grille cloth but after reading everyone's enthusiasm about that fascinating fabric I've thought better of it.

I intend to leave them as is. The sound is mellow, accurate and natural. Better suited to acoustic recordings perhaps, but the little bit of rock and metal that I've listened to on them sounds very good as well.

Pictures tell the story better than I can.
053.jpg

057.jpg

056.jpg

088.jpg

079.jpg

080.jpg

Sweet, sweet find @Delmarva ...... You seriously need to look for a pre 1973 Sansui receiver to really make them sing! I KNOW you have some bartering material!

@swamppirate, my eyes are always open. If a vintage Sansui receiver should fall into my lap I'll surely give it a good home.
As for barter material... I ain't giving up my Technics SA-500 for anything! Can't wait to throw it back in the loop and see what the AS-200's can do with it.
For now the little 35wpc Onkyo TX-21 is making the Sansui's sing a really sweet tune.

Every time I fire them up and try another piece of music on them I'm just floored.

Here's a shot of a CD I purchased today at the same thrift shop that the AS-200's came from. It shows the cab's beveled edge and the unique grille cloth in nice detail, albeit kind of blue.

Ten years ago the guys on this thread talked about that grille cloth and how you can just stare at it... it's true.
009.jpg

Found this today on the AS-100's. Interesting reading.
(click it, it gets bigger)
339511625-AS1002-thumb-jpg-0ddea420d43eb2e52d80454f5cc1f801-1073.jpg

The info available for the Sansui AS series is minuscule. To say that these speakers are sleepers is quite an understatement.
I'd love to know what the line sold for MSRP, but I can't find any info at all. @swamppirate had a price on the AS-300 at $149.00. Don't know if that was for a pair of for a single speaker.
$149.00 in 1970 dollars is almost $900 today.

These look like real nice speakers and in such good shape....and the price you paid ! I didn't know Sansui made this line of speakers. Their is always a surprise in this hobby, which makes it so interesting. I like the idea of the three way three speaker system in this line, compared to some other Sansui speakers.

FINALLY found a pair of nice AS-300s, cabs looked wonderful. They sounded outstanding... for a week until the voice coil broke on one of the woofers.

Anyway, boxed them up, put them in the closet for 8 years or however long it was looking for a replacement woofer - NOTHING, NADA, on any eBay in any country. NONE to be found.

These speakers are just TOOOOO rare.

Finally... I just gave up, sold them dirt cheap to get them 'out of the closet'... & about 2 months later up pops the speaker on eBay USA... Go figure. Ain't that the way it works.

Anyway...
The AS-300s did sound wonderful, AlNiCo magnets. I liked them big time.

Still have a pair of minty looking AS-100s with one extra AS-100 speaker (works perfect) for spare parts if needed. Fantastic 23" high box speakers with the big box sound & with a super sensitive adjustable tweet! Nice!!

Last edited:
Man they look so much like AR3's. Same era I guess.

That alone suggests these could sound really nice.

Back
Top Bottom