Finally, nearly 40 years later.

timofred

I'm just a garbage man...
My first taste were IRS, around 1980ish,
at a local hifi store, powered by macs, playing Stevie Wonder, Master Blaster,
I 'think' it was half speed mastered version,
That was responsible for turning me into an audio junkie.

This week I was lucky enough to find
Infinitesimal ver 2,
I was sweating and shivering, couldn't sit still, scratching, twitching.
Easiest place to hook them up is a Pioneer A400,
Wow, jaw dropping, how do they do what they do?
Thank you Mr Watkins!

I know it's far down the totem pole,
but at last, I can proudly say,
' I have Infinities '

Congrats! They look like they are in great shape. I see that they do have the dual voice coil. Iv heard nothing but good things. I hope to listen to a pair at some point. From my understanding, some had single voice coil. At least some people on ebay have been trying to sell single coil Watkins for these speakers.

Congrats! They look like they are in great shape. I see that they do have the dual voice coil. Iv heard nothing but good things. I hope to listen to a pair at some point. From my understanding, some had single voice coil. At least some people on ebay have been trying to sell single coil Watkins for these speakers.

Version 1.0 and 2.0 were built with Watkins DVC mid/woofs and wood end caps (there are other differences as well). Version 3.0 had single voice coils and black plastic end caps..
Lots of confusion on ebay about which version are being sold sometimes.
In addition, some 1.0 and 2.0 had single voice coil 5" drivers substituted at a later point (not by the factory)when the originals died/needed refoam. Might work but won't work as well plus crossover mods may be needed, like the two leads that wouldn't be used.
When considering Infinitesimals, wood end plates usually indicate 1.0 or 2.0 and when possible try to see if they have DVC mid/woofs, look for 4 leads to the dust cap (180 degrees apart).

Version 1.0 and 2.0 were built with Watkins DVC mid/woofs and wood end caps (there are other differences as well). Version 3.0 had single voice coils and black plastic end caps..
Lots of confusion on ebay about which version are being sold sometimes.
In addition, some 1.0 and 2.0 had single voice coil 5" drivers substituted at a later point (not by the factory)when the originals died/needed refoam. Might work but won't work as well plus crossover mods may be needed, like the two leads that wouldn't be used.
When considering Infinitesimals, wood end plates usually indicate 1.0 or 2.0 and when possible try to see if they have DVC mid/woofs, look for 4 leads to the dust cap (180 degrees apart).
Thank you for the info. I noticed the 4 leads in his pics. That's why I mentioned it. I may look for a set as soon as I finish up my present check list. Have a feeling there not going to be so easy to find. The set he has pictured was a great find. I've heard and read that the dual voice coil Watkins are amazing.

I don't think there was a "matching" subwoofer; to my knowledge, Infinity didn't start selling independent (i.e. not part of a system) subs until the late 1980s.

I don't think there was a "matching" subwoofer; to my knowledge, Infinity didn't start selling independent (i.e. not part of a system) subs until the late 1980s.

I agree, don't think there was a matching sub for the 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0
Modulus had a matching subwoofer I think.

Congratulations! Those look to be in really good shape. If you plan on rehabbing them be sure to search here for the other threads about Infinitesimals. Be especially careful with the screws when you tighten them. They will strip out if not done carefully.
Also it’s recommended to cross them over around 60-80hz so as not to blow the Watkins woofers. In any case I little care goes a long way! You’ll love them!

Well,
my wife likes the look of them,
so after some aesthetic discussions, we put them on the back deck, not 'perfectly' placed but it is an irregular shape.
She's happy with the looks, I'm happy with the sound.

Back
Top Bottom