new owner of a Yamaha YSU-3 and YSL-3 (switching unit and speaker level control)

samosui

I've had my eye on this setup for a few years and picked this up a couple of weeks ago from a local AKer. I've wanted to be able to "hot" switch between components and/or speakers to do some A/B comparisons and now will finally be able to do so. I'm a happy camper :)

Cheers,
JohnIMG_4907a.jpg

Always nice to get a long coveted component or set. congrats. Tell us which of your units sounds best.

Thanks. And comparing different preamps, amps, integrateds, speakers and so on will be the fun part. I’ll probably never compare more than two pair of speakers, if that. It will be components going through the “test” or comparisons.

Speaking of comparing speakers, I recall a visit to a brick and mortar store (that’s all there were) back in the late 60’s or early 70’s in Los Angeles. They had a set up like the above in their demo room and I was just ‘kicking tires’ as they say marveling at the ability to listen to various gear and switch just about anything to anything. The salesman was pretty proud of their house brand speakers and they did sound clearer and better than some of the name brands. I was impressed. And having a small Sansui system with SP-2500’s back then, I knew that speakers may have potentiometers for ‘mids’ and ‘highs’ like my Sansui did. So I looked behind the house speakers and the highs were turned up. Can you guess where this is going? Yup, the name brands all had theirs turned down. Hummm.

Cheers,
John

I recall a visit to a brick and mortar store (that’s all there were) back in the late 60’s or early 70’s in Los Angeles.
Cheers,
John
Good story. We didn't sell house brands so no competitive edge was given.

As to the That was all there was comment, the early 70s, I have a Dixie Hi-Fi sales flyer from 1971 and bought my first rig from them in 1970, a year after my brother bought his stuff. So the warehouses were out there, offering 30% off most of common brands. But the opportunity to listen that was for the Hi-Fi Store, for sure.

I Googled Dixie Hi-Fi and learned that they were called Custom Hi-Fi when Wards acquired them in 1969. Later, the name was changed to Dixie Hi-Fi and eventually they all became Circuit City. Ah, a walk down memory lane. Maybe that's one of the reasons I ended up buying "antique" gear later in life, those things I couldn't afford back then. Yes, I became a collector :)

Speaking of history, and related to this Yammie score, anyone recognize this badge or name? I'm guessing that it was the name of the store where this setup was used? Tried Googling but only found reference to an online presence.

Cheers,
John
IMG_4908.jpg

Haven’t had the chance to try it out yet but I did buy more speaker wire and RCA cables. The fuse lamps were bad so got some led versions. At first I posted “swishing?” but realized that it must be typo.

Cheers,
John

Yep, I edited my post to "switching", before I read yours! I thought it was an autocorrection error on my part. Have fun AB-ing your components, I predict you'll have some of your preconceived ideas challenged. :lurk:

Back
Top Bottom