Head phones for hearing loss?

ferninando

Lunatic Member
sorry for deleteing too soon. No offence but didnt see any interest.
My question is does anyone use headphones and/or headphone amps to help their hearing loss?
Mine is severe. nothing above 1khz. You can imagine not hearing above 1khz. NOT GOOD.
I tried headhones from my cd layer headphone output with vol control and got mildly better sound
due to direct input to ears.
Any info is welcome and appreciated.

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this.
A concern of mine as well, I don't know tho I've tried Grado phones with hearing aids.
Without loss tracking eq for each channel, including the hearing loss loudness comp algorithms which is what the source for the phones really requires, I don't have a specific recommendation for the phones themselves.
I've tried shopping this concept for a hearing impaired designed headphone amp and smartphone/tablet app around and so far have found zero interest.

Last edited:
Not sure what the OP said, and going by the title:D. I travel half the year for work and have been trying different Headphones, IEM,s and DAC/Amps over the last year and have come to this conclusion... yes Headphones do cause hearing loss. :rockon:

Not sure what the OP said, and going by the title:D. I travel half the year for work and have been trying different Headphones, IEM,s and DAC/Amps over the last year and have come to this conclusion... yes Headphones do cause hearing loss. :rockon:
Amend that to "can" rather than "do", it's a choice to abuse.

Amend that to "can" rather than "do", it's a choice to abuse.

I find myself laying on the couch in my hotel room turning it up louder and louder... :dunno: I don't listen very loud on my main system. Luckily I catch myself because at 53ys my current hearing test is still almost an exact match for my first Navy one in 1984.

:beerchug:

I haven't heard of anyone using headphones due to hearing loss. I imagine if you crank the sound up a lot wearing headphones you'll just lose the hearing in the under 1K Hz region. A cheap equalizer to boost certain frequencies might be worth a try.

I have heard of people using headphones to help lessen tinnitus using "notch therapy" but I haven't tried it myself.

I realize that I am late here but I just saw this post. The main reason that I have been using headphones is my poor hearing. I have completely lost my ability to hear certain frequencies although it is not the same in both ears. I seem to hear high frequencies best in my left ear and low frequencies in my right. Ear buds seem to be a crap shoot for me. A few work fine but most are muffled to me. I have to admit that I have never spent much on them though. I use Bose QC 35 noise cancelling headphones in the shop and they sound great to me. I use Bose Soundlink on ear headphones in bed so as not to disturb the wife in bed and they aren't bad but don't hold a candle to the QC 35's. I am sure there are better and more affordable options but I don't have any experience with them. I have a cheap pair of Samson SR 850 over the ear phones that I listen to my records and cds with in my "office" . I love them. They probably sound better than the Bose QC 35's. I think that if you are having trouble hearing you probably need to experiment to see what works best for you. It would depend on what frequencies you are having trouble hearing.What works for me might not work for you. I am far from an expert but that is what I have came up with from my experience.

Sennheizer revamped their HD 280 headphones making them neutral, they also cancel sound that is around you by 32db letting you hear more of the music. Then a good tube headphone amp plus a good EQ....like a Yamaha EQ-630 may allow you to adjust better to what you can actually hear.

Sennheizer revamped their HD 280 headphones making them neutral, they also cancel sound that is around you by 32db letting you hear more of the music. Then a good tube headphone amp plus a good EQ....like a Yamaha EQ-630 may allow you to adjust better to what you can actually hear.
I feel like an idiot for not thinking of getting an equalizer. That would probably make a world of difference with any headphones for those of us with bad hearing.

I feel a great deal of empathy for anyone with hearing problems. I had an ear infection last year the took my left ear out of the picture for a good 5 months. It sucked. I didn't know if I was ever going to get my hearing in that ear back to normal. During this ordeal they did a hearing test and I found out I have some loss, but not outside of normal for my age. My own tests verify that I can still hear to 12.5 KHz, not the best, but I feel lucky it's even that good. When I was 17 I could sense the signal from some ultrasonic alarm systems - about 21KHz.

I feel like an idiot for not thinking of getting an equalizer. That would probably make a world of difference with any headphones for those of us with bad hearing.
Get an EQ with seperate controls for each channel. That may help more since your ears hear differently.

Back
Top Bottom