Metalbone Fisher rebuild kit

swd

I have a 500B garage sale find that I picked up probably 25 years ago just because it was really cheap. I finally decided to rebuild it. I heard about a few kits to rebuild them and found the Metalbone kit. It came in yesterday and was pleasanly surprised with everthing included. A copy of the factory service manual, schematics, large color photos, updated power supply and good instructions. I haven't done much electrical work in a lot of years but I have no doubt I'll make it through it just fine with everything he includes. Just passing it along for those temped not sure about diving in. This looks like a pretty well thought out kit.

I used the Metabone kit and Hayseed Hamfest for the can caps. It was challenging but with help from AK Fisher forum got it done.

Good luck!

Welcome to AK.

Great to know, thanks for sharing! I have a 400 in need of love when it gets to the top of the pile...

swd - where in the foot hills are you? I'll be in Murphys/Angels Camp area for a few weeks in December and could help if you need it. I've rebuilt 4 or 5 500B's.

I never used one but saw one recently. The paperwork and instructions are excellent. If you just need parts , you could do it for a lot less. A plus for a novice.

I used a McShane kit for my 500B. A bit $$ but high quality parts. Three of the four can caps were replaced with individual caps which twisted my mind into a pretzel until I figured out how to connect the individual caps...

In the unlikely event I rebuild another Fisher I think I'll go with a Metalbone kit and Hayseed cans based on recent reviews like this.

Last edited:
swd - where in the foot hills are you? I'll be in Murphys/Angels Camp area for a few weeks in December and could help if you need it. I've rebuilt 4 or 5 500B's.

I'm in Auburn about 2 hours north of Murphys. Thank you for the offer! I'm friends with about half of Pass Labs. I've got lot's of back up on this one. :)

Also used the Jim McShane kit with hayseed cans. More difficult for beginners, but the better parts are worth the extra $$ and effort, IMO, since it's a pretty invasive and infrequent (should last 20 years?) job anyway.

Another +1 on the McShane kit. I used it to rebuild my 800B. Definitely challenging, since as previously mentioned, the large can caps aren't exactly a 1 for 1 replacement. High quality parts though.

I have a 500B garage sale find that I picked up probably 25 years ago just because it was really cheap. I finally decided to rebuild it. I heard about a few kits to rebuild them and found the Metalbone kit. It came in yesterday and was pleasanly surprised with everthing included. A copy of the factory service manual, schematics, large color photos, updated power supply and good instructions. I haven't done much electrical work in a lot of years but I have no doubt I'll make it through it just fine with everything he includes. Just passing it along for those temped not sure about diving in. This looks like a pretty well thought out kit.

I just Picked up a Fisher 500b as well and am planning on completing the restoration over the winter to keep me occupied during the cold months. Where can one obtain one of these kits? I saw one on the bay but wasn't sure of the quality. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom