Marantz 250 help

Cumminscider

Was listening to music then one channel cut out and I saw this part arcing in the area circled. I shut it off and let it sit awhile, tried turning it back on the protection relay doesn't click anymore? Not sure what to check any ideas?

Attachments

• 20181105_202227.jpg
    20181105_202227.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 77
The Marantz 250 is a nice sounding amp, but the design is fraught with problems. Fixing it (and applying the essential upgrades) is not for the inexperienced and you've almost certainly got way more trouble than can be fixed with a DVM. Suggest locating competent tech (maybe somebody here on AK) ASAP.

The Marantz 250 is a nice sounding amp, but the design is fraught with problems. Fixing it (and applying the essential upgrades) is not for the inexperienced and you've almost certainly got way more trouble than can be fixed with a DVM. Suggest locating competent tech (maybe somebody here on AK) ASAP.

ConradH is 100% correct.

There are no less than 6 Marantz Technical Service Bulletins trying to address the issues that the 250 had.

I'm doing one right now that had this happen....

iqDu9su.jpg

T5GkCgY.jpg

Bob

As Norm Abrams always said on his TV show, "And always wear these, safety glasses!"

Was listening to music then one channel cut out and I saw this part arcing in the area circled. I shut it off and let it sit awhile, tried turning it back on the protection relay doesn't click anymore? Not sure what to check any ideas?

I assume you have no daughters.

Black to chassis ground, red to pin 5 and then 7 on the relay board- DC. Tell us what you read. Pin 5 in one channel, 7 is the other.

The 250 may look simple to fix but it's not. They worked very well with few problems. HOWEVER!!! once they needed to be fixed that's when the problems in the design become VERY apparent. You WILL need a skilled tech to not only fix it but do the upgrades and testing to undo the unstable design flaws.

This is not a simple put in some caps and a transistor fix.

Thanks everyone I eneded up trading it for some speakers. If I do get it back by some chance I will revisit this post. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom