numbering of service-manuals

HiFi 1991

When I wrote the table of contents for my freshly restored service manual file folder ...

https://old-fidelity.de/thread-12531-post-965636.html#pid965636

I noticed that from the early 1970's Sansui started to separate the previously unified owner-service-manuals ...

... and number the individual service-manuals continuously.

The numbers can be found on the back of the service manual:

Curious, I began to check all my existing documents and can after several (!) weekends allocate nearly 400 numbers, which looks something like this:

Code:
SM001 QRX-3500 4-Channel Receiver
SM002 QRX-3000 4-Channel Receiver
SM003 Eight-Deluxe AM/FM Stereo Receiver
SM004 QA-7000 4-Channel Amplifier
[...]

(Really stupid is that many scans do not include the last page - because nothing important is on it ... :-/ )

Here are some interesting things noticed:

The numbering is obviously continuous, whereby I can identify different number ranges that differ by either no leading digit or by the prefix digits "1-", "2-" and "4-".

Furthermore, there are almost no duplicates, so that a manual based on the SM number obviously should be clearly identifiable.

Code:
SM001 QRX-3500 4-Channel Receiver
SM016 SR-313 Two-Speed Belt-Drive Turntable
SM027 AU-6600 Stereo Amplifier
SM160 B-77 Stereo Power Amplifier
SM1-06 A-9/A-7/A-5 Master Integrated Amplifier
SM1-06 D-300M Stereo Cassette Tape Deck, Metal-Tape-Compatible/High-B Head
SM1-16 FR-D55 Computerized Fully Automatic Direct Drive Turntable
SM1-166 RG-710 Stereo Graphic Equalizer Consolette (Silver & Black Model)
SM2-60 CD-X501i Compact Disc Player
SM2-180 D-X111HX / D-X211HX•R Stereo Cassette Deck
SM4-003 B-2105 MOS VINTAGE Super High Grade Stereophonic Main Amlifier (Jp)
[...]

In fact, it took some time to clearly distinguish numbers like SM1-05 and SM105, but the described rules are largely clear and unambiguous.

Really interesting here is probably that resulting from the serial numbers of the sercice manuals probably more or less continuous production data of the devices, that is, it can be relatively reliably determined by the SM numbers, which device is before or after which other device appeared / produced ...

... and when Sansui gradually gave up (had to give up) the Japanese production lines and produced more and more in National China (Taiwan), the sequential numbers were no longer awarded for these manuals:

Note the OEM 〶 tag which indicates a supplier, d. h., it was made "under license" - or (honestly) simply bought!

Here is my entire list in the current state:

Wow is right!. Never noticed that either and I worked for years in a Technical Publications department. Good work. Thanks for posting.

- Pete

Can you convert these files to PDF? That list is totally unreadable in it's current form.

- Pete

Thank you for the PDF. Much easier to use.

The service manual number is at the bottom of the back cover.

- Pete

Thank you for the PDF. Much easier to use.

The service manual number is at the bottom of the back cover.

- Pete
Middle of bottom back cover is this,Stock no. 9206160, bottom right hand corner of back cover is this,printed in Japan (12630M4).

Thanks for the list. I had previously noticed the "SM129" and "Printed in Japan (597230M) on the back of my Service Manual for the G-5700/G-6700/G-7700 and had been searching for an update or a revision. Looks like there is one and only one.

Do you know if Sansui ever issued "bulletins" to announce changes or revisions? Or to correct errors (haha).

Back
Top Bottom