Yamaha YP-B4 and AT95EX

SuperLead100

"These go to 11"
Well, I'm going to try listening to vinyl again and I currently have the YP-B4. About two years ago my niece pushed the start button on the table with no record on it and proceeded to ruin the needle. It looked like it was a cheap cartridge anyway. I thought a good replacement would be the Audio Technica AT95EX; it is ~$60. I'd like to keep the price in this range. Are there any other options I should consider before I go for the AT?

Thanks,
Joe

About two years ago my niece pushed the start button on the table with no record on it and proceeded to ruin the needle.
Ooouch.
Reminds me of a time about 35 years ago. Had a Yamaha P-750 with a Shure V15 type V. Some friends came over to visit with a 2 year old toddler. The dust cover was up and the V15 stylii lasted less than 30 seconds after the little shit hit the floor.:mad:

Last edited:
Ooouch.
Reminds me of a time about 35 years ago. Had a Yamaha P-750 with a Shure V15 type V. Some friends came over to visit with a 2 tear old toddler. The dust cover was up and the V15 stylii lasted less than 30 seconds after the little shit hit the floor.:mad:

Yeah, you understand my pain then! I saw it happen as if it was in slow motion. I looked to my left and see her kneeling in front of the table and she's watching the arm moving over the platter...I shot out of my seat and made a bee line over there but was too late. It was all I could do from shouting "what the f...!". :eek:

Well, I'm going to try listening to vinyl again and I currently have the YP-B4. About two years ago my niece pushed the start button on the table with no record on it and proceeded to ruin the needle. It looked like it was a cheap cartridge anyway. I thought a good replacement would be the Audio Technica AT95EX; it is ~$60. I'd like to keep the price in this range. Are there any other options I should consider before I go for the AT?

Thanks,
Joe

What was the cartridge with the ruined needle/stylus on it?

You may be able to replace the stylus or get a better stylus for the same cartridge. :idea:

What was the cartridge with the ruined needle/stylus on it?

You may be able to replace the stylus or get a better stylus for the same cartridge. :idea:

Good question! It was red with a yellow dot...no name. It came with the table when I got it; it wasn't used much at all before the aforementioned niece story. I did end up ordering a Audio Technica AT-VM95E. My understanding is that it is the new version of the AT95e with increased output. My plan is to run it through the CA-800 and NS-670's.
Are you familiar with what the old cartridge might be?

Good question! It was red with a yellow dot...no name.

My plan is to run it through the CA-800 and NS-670's.
Are you familiar with what the old cartridge might be?

Some close up pictures of the cartridge would help if you are interested in replacing the stylus in the future. :)

Back
Top Bottom