Restoring uncle's Sansui 9090DB

Sorry, I mistook the selector switch you cleaned up with the Dolby switch. How did you clean up the tarnish on the switch wafers on your selector switch.

Sorry, I mistook the selector switch you cleaned up with the Dolby switch. How did you clean up the tarnish on the switch wafers on your selector switch.
Ah haha those...I remove them from the casing and then I let them sit in a contact cleaner solution for potentiometers and used a toothbrush to remove the black thing

One other question. I am looking for a list of caps to recap my 9090db. I had found a list on here before but have been unable to locate it. Do you have a list you would be willing to share?

One other question. I am looking for a list of caps to recap my 9090db. I had found a list on here before but have been unable to locate it. Do you have a list you would be willing to share?

Yes I used Tom's full recap list. Here you go

Attachments

• complete_9090DB_recap_list_v7.pdf
    232.1 KB · Views: 87
Oh, thanks. Yea, that was the one I had seen before, but had not been able to find recently. Did you pretty much follow what was on list?

How is your project coming along?

Stevie

Yes I followed the list as it is but a few parts where obsolete or outdated so I had to look for replacements following the specs from the list...I used mouser, digi-key, think allied and NewarkElement to get almost everything.

Overall is going well. Everything works but I still have to go over the dolby board and the push switch board that still has the original components

Finally the restoration is coming to an end.

The problem I had with scratchy pots was a dolby board thing, it had a few traces gone so I had to fix that and also all the pass throughs + the recap.
I still don't get the dolby test tone but I don't care cause it's useless nowadays (I think maybe the dolby chips are dead) but I do get clean sound on all inputs.

Here some pics

Did you leave tantalums on the F-2655? Looks great so far..:thumbsup:

I replaced the elctrolytics, ceramics and the green ones except 2 and I left the tantalums originals..should I replace them??
I replace them... I just forgot the reason... I think it was something like they can get short or something like that.

My amp is working great, but suddenly now I get no lights from the front panel. It started flickering from time to time but today I tuned it on and no lights at all.

Where should I check??

Greetings Juan,
I was not sure if I should PM you on a question I have for you or post on your thread. I thought it best to post on your thread so others could see this if applicable.

So, I am restoring my 9090db. I was getting no signal out of the dolby board so I am embarking on re-capping and pinning the pass thru's. While re-capping the board, I discovered that as I turned the dolby switch, the main shaft that goes through the wafers was not rotating. After further investigation, I noticed that the main shaft had slid out of the collar that joins the main shaft to the knob. The shaft was sitting about an inch out the "back" of the switch. I was able to slide the shaft forward to where it engaged in to the white plastic collar.

So the problem is this. I know that the individual wafers are aligned properly relative to each other since the shaft was never fully pulled out. I do not know however if the knob part of the switch is aligned properly relative to the wafers. I believe that due to the shaft dimensions, there are only two ways it can go on.

This is where you can give me some assistance. I saw the pictures you took of the disassembled switch. If you can tell me the position of the front part of the switch relative to the wafers, I think I can determine if mine is properly aligned. For instance, was the front part of the switch turned all the way to the right relative to the way the wafers are aligned? Also, I am assuming that the wafes are arranged in the photo, left to right as they were back to front. (The left most wafer belonging to the back of the switch).

Also, how did you clean the tarnish off of the wafer contacts.

Thanks.

My amp is working great, but suddenly now I get no lights from the front panel. It started flickering from time to time but today I tuned it on and no lights at all.

Where should I check??

I know this is an older thread, but the fuse clips on the power supply board is usually the cause. It is right under the main filter caps so DISCHARGE the caps first! I have found the fuse clips just needing squeezed together for better contact usually cures it.

I know this is an older thread, but the fuse clips on the power supply board is usually the cause. It is right under the main filter caps so DISCHARGE the caps first! I have found the fuse clips just needing squeezed together for better contact usually cures it.
You were right! the fuse under the main caps was a bit loose. All lights are back :beerchug:
Thanks!!

I've replaced these clips on occasion. You can buy new ones from mouser, digikey, etc. When they've been loose and bent back enough times, they can eventually break or just not be tight enough anymore.

I think Keystone is the brand of clips I buy.

I've replaced these clips on occasion. You can buy new ones from mouser, digikey, etc. When they've been loose and bent back enough times, they can eventually break or just not be tight enough anymore.

I think Keystone is the brand of clips I buy.

I have a few bags of assorted sizes/styles just for when the occasion strikes, or when Murphy drops by. :D

Finally the restoration is coming to an end.

The problem I had with scratchy pots was a dolby board thing, it had a few traces gone so I had to fix that and also all the pass throughs + the recap.
I still don't get the dolby test tone but I don't care cause it's useless nowadays (I think maybe the dolby chips are dead) but I do get clean sound on all inputs.

Here some pics

Hello,

Are you still able to help and show the exact placement of the wafers on the Dolby switch? I have a huge problem before mounting it. My receiver is a Sansui 9090DB in the 230V version (Europe) Take a look at the pictures - it is in the "Dolby FM" position.
I will be grateful for every answer.
Regards
David
1672646234496.jpg
1672646234506.jpg
1672646234486.jpg

Back
Top Bottom