Best used BOSE Acoustimass model

jamiecantar

I know this is a touchy subject :) it's not for my main listening, I know BOSE are not the best sounding, however the small cube footprint is what I like about them. I have a small den TV room. i don't have a lot of wall space and was thinking of a used set of BOSE acoustimass. which used model would be the best sounding of the designs...

thanks

Last edited:
There are better minitowers with the same "footprint" with better sound quality potential available, I'm using Polk M20 for AV and can highly recommend them with a decent powered sub.

I have an Acoustimass III system in the master bedroom and I would not recommend one, or buy another.

Sound quality is actually fine, for what it is. Way better than most sound bars I've heard.

The stupid control module (the receiver/communicator thingy) is prone to failure. It's all useless junk without it. Bose did replace mine after I told them I would just throw it out and put in a standard AVR when mine failed just out of warranty. They wanted nearly as much for the module as the system cost.

They treated me well, but I was the original owner. I definitely would not buy used.

Get a small AVR as stated above.

I have a Lifestyle Model 5 system in my living room, only because of the high WAF (wife acceptance factor). The subwoofer/amp module hides away nicely about anywhere. Mine is actually up on top of the huge old entertainment center cabinet. The five double cube speakers are small enough that they hide in the books shelved on both sides of the cabinet and behind the sofa on the other side of the room. The system sounds fine for TV and Movies and background music when people are over, but I would not claim they are good enough for anything that could remotely be described as "critical listening". My larger system in the man cave sounds so much better that I hardly use the Bose anymore. It does take up a lot of room, however.

One problem I continually deal with is the head unit with the CD player and all the controls never turns off, and it burns out a capacitor on the circuit board. I've replaced it twice now, and it needs replaced again. (Could be a bad solder joint from my repair, will have to check.) Many of the used head units I see for sale have a "blank display". Easy enough to do if you can solder - you tube videos showed me how. I rarely use the display on the head unit - just use the remote. Incidentally, I really like the remote as it uses Radio Frequency (RF) instead of Infra Red beams (IR). I can use it anywhere in the house to control the system.

Another problem is with buying them used. What should be a well under $100 system usually has a higher asking price. People who know little about audio see the brand name and think it's worth a lot more than it is.

As everyone else is telling you, there are better choices than Bose. On the other hand, they aren't all THAT bad if you get it at the right price.

I have a Lifestyle Model 5 system in my living room, only because of the high WAF (wife acceptance factor). The subwoofer/amp module hides away nicely about anywhere. Mine is actually up on top of the huge old entertainment center cabinet. The five double cube speakers are small enough that they hide in the books shelved on both sides of the cabinet and behind the sofa on the other side of the room. The system sounds fine for TV and Movies and background music when people are over, but I would not claim they are good enough for anything that could remotely be described as "critical listening". My larger system in the man cave sounds so much better that I hardly use the Bose anymore. It does take up a lot of room, however.

One problem I continually deal with is the head unit with the CD player and all the controls never turns off, and it burns out a capacitor on the circuit board. I've replaced it twice now, and it needs replaced again. (Could be a bad solder joint from my repair, will have to check.) Many of the used head units I see for sale have a "blank display". Easy enough to do if you can solder - you tube videos showed me how. I rarely use the display on the head unit - just use the remote. Incidentally, I really like the remote as it uses Radio Frequency (RF) instead of Infra Red beams (IR). I can use it anywhere in the house to control the system.

Another problem is with buying them used. What should be a well under $100 system usually has a higher asking price. People who know little about audio see the brand name and think it's worth a lot more than it is.

As everyone else is telling you, there are better choices than Bose. On the other hand, they aren't all THAT bad if you get it at the right price.
Surface mount elyticaps seem to have a limited service life, as do the elyticaps in pulse switching service.

I own two Bose Acoustimass 5 series's II systems and a Bose Lifestyle 38 system plus a pair of 901 series II's, 501 series II's and 201 series IV's. I got everything used and for very good prices. If you can find an Acoustimass 5 series II system for under $80 it's a good deal. The AM 5 Series II system is comprised of 2 double cubes and a passive sub. I have the AM 5 II setup in my bedroom powered by a Marantz NR1601 receiver. It sounds great using the DolbyVS setting. The Bose AM5 II is great for a bedroom or small room setup. AM5 II handles 20 to 200Watts. I use the AM5 II sub with the 201 series IV's and Am happy with the sound, again this is for the bedroom so I don't need it to be super loud, good clarity at low volume. Nice thing about AM subs is you can use them with most Bose speakers also can be used with any stereo receiver, you don't need a subwoofer out. With the AM5 you run the left and right speakers in and send the outs to the cubes.

Back
Top Bottom