Pioneer RH-65 Speed Adjustment

Phonogram175

I have a Pioneer RH-65 and it plays nicely with more clearity than I’m used to from 8-Tracks, but it runs a little slow. Listening to albums I’m not really familiar with I don’t really notice but if I listen to albums I know really well it almost feels unlistenable. Looking over the service manual I don’t see any pots or ways to adjust the speed. Does anyone have this deck and know of any methods for adjusting this decks speed?
-Tom

Although this thread discusses the same question related to a different model Pioneer 8-track, there may be some useful information contained in it.

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=56379

Checking the condition of/replacing the capstan belt and lubricating the motor may be all that is required.

Okay, so I lubricated the motor, the capstan and the unit still has new belts on it but it still is running slow :/. Other then physically altering the size of the motor bushing, I’m not sure what to do to fix this.

Okay, so I lubricated the motor, the capstan and the unit still has new belts on it but it still is running slow :/. Other then physically altering the size of the motor bushing, I’m not sure what to do to fix this.
Did you check to see if there is an opening on the motor itself that provides access to a speed adjustment potentiometer as was described in the thread I provided the link to?

Did you check to see if there is an opening on the motor itself that provides access to a speed adjustment potentiometer as was described in the thread I provided the link to?

Yeah, there wasn’t anything either. Maybe under the casing but I think it would involve tearing apart the motor to get to it if it even exists.

The schematic in the service manual doesn’t appear to show any speed adjustment for the capstan motor that is external to the motor itself. There are some test voltage values shown on the schematic that could be checked to see if they are what the should be for proper operation of the motor. If these are low, this would reduce the motor speed. It is also possible the the motor could have worn brushes or commutator contacts that are affecting its operation.

Last edited:
I have a RH60. I changed the belts. Tapes seemed too fast, then I realised that i had the FF button down. Tape speed seems okay now but sometimes the tape won't start playing and I'll give the FF button a little jab to 'kick start' it into action. I've lubed as much as I can but the problem is still there - any other suggestions please?

Back
Top Bottom