Seeking advice on my next CD/SACD player...

Roypercy

Hi all:

This is yet another of those "help me pick a new CDP threads".

I've been listening to a Sony DVP-NC875V changer for some time now, and while it sounds just ok on Redbook and pretty good on SACD, some recent upgrades have rendered my system considerably more revealing than it used to be. I've got the upgrade bug. My current player reads discs and responds to commands VERY slowly, and it has a noisy (and cheap-feeling) transport.

I'm looking for a "new" CD or DVD player (with at least SACD, DVD-A would be a fun bonus but I don't have any discs as of yet). It will be played solely in two-channel analog mode; space and listening preferences aren't going to lead me into multichannel listening any time soon.

I listen mostly to jazz and classical, with some classic rock thrown in here and there. I'd like a nice, substantial player with a decent onboard DAC as I'm not looking at adding an external DAC any time soon. Just a decent, single-box solution that will beat my current changer (which I don't think will be too hard). I have no preference between a single-disc player or a changer, although I suspect the single-disc will be more stable and reliable.

My budget is limited; I'm hoping to stay around $100, but could go (perhaps) as high as $200. I think this limits me to the used market, which is fine. Recently on the 'Bay and CL I've looked at the following models:

Sony NS 3100ES
Denon 2900
Denon 3910
Marantz DV-6600
Integra DPS 6.5

Or, new on the 'Bay, Sherwood SD-860/871

Any thoughts, experience, preferences? Any other models I should keep an eye out for in the used market in that range?

Thanks!

Roy

Last edited:
Wow, long time! My first purchase was a Marantz DV-4600, which was a huge upgrade over the Sony changer I'd been using. I ran that one for quite some time. Happened upon a Yamaha DV-1700 at a thrift, which to my ears was thin and lifeless, so it didn't stay long. Then most recently I got a Sony DVP-NC555ES, which to my ears sounds even better. Plus it's silver, always a bonus, and it brings back changer convenience. So far it's been a great player, although it's not happy with smudged disks (the Marantz, while not sounding quite as good, seemed to be able to read anything.)

Cool. I ask because I currently own two of the Sony 3100ES and a Denon 2900. I also owned the Integra for a long time and was curious about which ones you used. Of the three I prefer the Sony on SACD but too close to call on standard CD. Even SACD was very close but I did hear a bit of a brighter sound with the Denon and Integra that made me lean toward the Sony.

I was in your position a year ago, and was told you cant't go wrong with a Yamaha, I figured there is a lot of truth in that and bought a Yamaha DVD-S1800 after reading a lot of good reviews. I find picture and sound quality outstanding although got it mainly for two channel SACD listening.

EDIT: Old thread. Very old.

Cool. I ask because I currently own two of the Sony 3100ES and a Denon 2900. I also owned the Integra for a long time and was curious about which ones you used. Of the three I prefer the Sony on SACD but too close to call on standard CD. Even SACD was very close but I did hear a bit of a brighter sound with the Denon and Integra that made me lean toward the Sony.

Good to know, once in awhile I get the itch to pick up a Denon and try it. But the Sony, as you say, has a nice warm, full sound; I'm not sure I would like something much brighter.

I have a 19 year old Sony DVP-S9000ES. Although it plays DVDs and CDs I purchased it new to play SACDs. It only plays stereo SACDs. This has bothered me for almost as long as I've owned this player. Last February I purchased an OPPO UDP-205. It plays Ultra Blu-ray and multi-channel SACD. It also has analog multi-channel output, which I need to play multi-channel SACD to my non-HDMI amplification. At any rate, two things noteworthy: the Sony gives up nothing to the OPPO for stereo SACD; but, multi-channel SACD is a pleasure way beyond the stereo experience. I am particularly pleased with the 3 channel Living Stereo Classical Series.

I had one of the basic Sony blu ray players then out of curiosity picked up an Oppo BDP-83. Wow...huge improvement in every aspect. It’s now doing multi channel SACD and movie duty, but my Sony 3100ES is it’s equal sonically. I use that for audio only in my two channel system.

I have three Sony DVP NS900V players, yes they're that great. If a bit patient can be found on eBay for $80, original retail $1000, mine are black.
sony900v.gif

I have one Sony DVP NS999ES player, awesome deck, but I like the 900V better, just wish I could find one in silver. This one I do have in silver so it goes well with my vintage silver face gear. Also scored this for $80, original retail also a grand.
x158dvp999s-f_LD.jpeg

Also have one Sony changer, DVP CX777ES 400 disc carousel in silver. Again it goes great with my vintage gear, sounds awesome, and conveniently stores my CD's. Not sure of this models original price but I paid $63, replaced the belts (super easy) another $12, so all in $75.
x158DVPX777-f.jpeg

Modwright modified SACD Sony players are KILLER. They dont do them anymore but are available on the used market.
I own two and because of age experienced problems but since Modwright doesnt work on them anymore I was bummed until I took them to Audio Element in Pasadena Ca. where Sean contacted Modwright who helped their techs repair them. Kudos to Dan Wright who helped them out and to Sean for facilitating this. a feel good story for sure realizing my investment wasn't in vain.

I have three Sony DVP NS900V players, yes they're that great. If a bit patient can be found on eBay for $80, original retail $1000,

I have one Sony DVP NS999ES player, awesome deck, but I like the 900V better, just wish I could find one in silver. This one I do have in silver so it goes well with my vintage silver face gear. Also scored this for $80, original retail also a grand.
View attachment 1312424

Also have one Sony changer, DVP CX777ES 400 disc carousel in silver. Again it goes great with my vintage gear, sounds awesome, and conveniently stores my CD's. Not sure of this models original price but I paid $63, replaced the belts (super easy) another $12, so all in $75.
View attachment 1312423
I posted this 3 years ago. Think you might be interested.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ADAEegQIBBAE&usg=AOvVaw1MlEIiCCntQjJAqSJb86hI

Back
Top Bottom