As We Bow Our Heads And Press Play...

musichal

poet emeritus
Audio is not a religion, though there are many various, often opposing, beliefs extant. I do not worship at the shrine of the perfect speaker, or the perfect amp. Perfection awaits another world, or plane of existence.

Nor is music a religion; no, rock'n'roll won't save you. However, music is indeed spiritual; it has soul, we say, because it somehow touches ours. It is that touch that puts the pursuit in audio. That spiritual touch that relaxes us at the end of a grueling day, when in wind-down mode - on a good day. Yes, the pursuit of happiness to some degree, but more than that, a feeding of the spirit of mankind so that, upon a really good day:

I am at one with the music
washing over me
washing me
rinsing away the stresses
relieving the tension
as I prepare
for release.

I am at one with the music
energizing me
wind me up
watch me leaping
as I prepare
for ignition.

I become the music
float and sting
laugh and cry
transcendent
I am reborn
the world new again.

I sing I dance
I twist and shout
feel love and sadness
joyously
I am alive
to the spirit within.
Better get hit in yo' soul, said Mingus. Sometimes a two-inch speaker in a small radio is all the ceremony we need, sometimes we want more because that is in our nature. Maybe some are addicted, looking for a bigger fix, but that is not most of us. So whether the means is a simple radio, or a high-end mega-system, it is but that - the means to an end. Or better, a beginning. A continuing, for music is for the living.

Last edited:
I am not looking for "perfection", either. But, there is a good feeling when you put on a record that you just finished cleaning and it's DEAD QUIET! And, for me, a 2" speaker in a small radio just will not work, LOL

Bravo.

I wonder at times, mostly subconsciously, why I can enjoy a small bluetooth speaker at times (admittedly quite a bit better than an old transistor radio) as much as I do. Thanks for your excellent explanation.

There has been many times in my where music and the relationship to certain songs has been the only thing that has gotten me through. At times if I hear a certain song it takes me back to a certain place an time in my youth that brings a smile to my face. Upbeat songs from thunderstruck to Kodachrome can get me in a positive ready to rock n roll mood to subdue the anxiety I may have about doing something. Music an the opportunity to listen to it , no matter on what gear sure is a wonderful thing isn't it? :thumbsup:

"Nor is music a religion; no, rock'n'roll won't save you."

But never forget........... God Gave Rock And Roll To You*

*Russ Ballard

:rockon:

There has been many times in my where music and the relationship to certain songs has been the only thing that has gotten me through. At times if I hear a certain song it takes me back to a certain place an time in my youth that brings a smile to my face. Upbeat songs from thunderstruck to Kodachrome can get me in a positive ready to rock n roll mood to subdue the anxiety I may have about doing something. Music an the opportunity to listen to it , no matter on what gear sure is a wonderful thing isn't it? :thumbsup:

I used to have a few "Flashbacks", too. Doesn't seem to happen as often as it used to. Mine usually involve extremely vivid colors, though.;)

For more than one of us....a transistor radio was our first personal exposure. We could listen to whatever whenever.

Nice piece.:thumbsup:

Bravo.

I wonder at times, mostly subconsciously, why I can enjoy a small bluetooth speaker at times (admittedly quite a bit better than an old transistor radio) as much as I do. Thanks for your excellent explanation.
Ditto. An old Sonic Impact iPod player picked up at a thrift is quite enjoyable. And the Bluetooth driven by Alexa provides a nice touch to preparing breakfast.

Perfection awaits another world, or plane of existence.

Nor is music a religion; no, rock'n'roll won't save you. However, music is indeed spiritual; it has soul, we say, because it somehow touches ours.

Fully agreed. Very nice points you touch upon.
When we die, everything living dies. Thoughts, feelings, memories - everything. What remains? I say a sliver of a human collective soul goes back to the, well, collective soul.

Music is the "hard disk" for the human race.
Thought patterns, feelings, learned "stuff" - that results in music (and written down text of course, but that is more limiting than music as a communication transport device, that is what remains.
All new humans discover music, and simply understand and listen.
Make more music.

Fully agreed. Very nice points you touch upon.
When we die, everything living dies. Thoughts, feelings, memories - everything. What remains? I say a sliver of a human collective soul goes back to the, well, collective soul.

Music is the "hard disk" for the human race.
Thought patterns, feelings, learned "stuff" - that results in music (and written down text of course, but that is more limiting than music as a communication transport device, that is what remains.
All new humans discover music, and simply understand and listen.
Make more music.

While our philosophical paradigms differ, I agree with most of that, and it was very well expressed, punctuation gaffs aside (that's just my OCD talkin'). Nice post.

Well written and insightful, musichal. Your posts have become "must reads" for me.

We all "caught the bug" on less than hi-fi equipment. While our regular attendance here indicates we all enjoy the pursuit of quality sound, and the gear that provides it, we all found that initial spark of interest from the music, not the devices presenting it.

I, for one, recall receiving a cassette recorder for Christmas when I was 9 years old, and would place the corded microphone near my clock radio. I listened to the local AM rock station (WLS 890) waiting to click the two piano style buttons that started the "record" function when a song came on that I liked. My first stab at mix tapes! lol Always tried to time the start and stop so as not to hear the DJ leading in, or coming back near the end.

Moved steadily forward to where I am now, 50 years later, and have enjoyed every step of the process!

Well written and insightful, musichal. Your posts have become "must reads" for me.

We all "caught the bug" on less than hi-fi equipment. While our regular attendance here indicates we all enjoy the pursuit of quality sound, and the gear that provides it, we all found that initial spark of interest from the music, not the devices presenting it.

I, for one, recall receiving a cassette recorder for Christmas when I was 9 years old, and would place the corded microphone near my clock radio. I listened to the local AM rock station (WLS 890) waiting to click the two piano style buttons that started the "record" function when a song came on that I liked. My first stab at mix tapes! lol Always tried to time the start and stop so as not to hear the DJ leading in, or coming back near the end.

Moved steadily forward to where I am now, 50 years later, and have enjoyed every step of the process!

Yep. I did the same off AM with one of those portable cassette recorders. Sounds like we were both doing that about the same time.

Back
Top Bottom