I came home with a K-horn ... or clone

biscuithead

Me likes the eargasm retroplasm...
IMG_0588.JPG A family friend of a friend is moving out of the country, her husband passed about a year ago...
"Want to come on by before the auction to see if there is something you want?" Sure, I say.
Usual 1990s BPC ...
but wait, what do I see, there in the corner of the dining room...

A K-horn!

I got it home super late last night, I haven't had a chance to inspect the load, but there was an EV crossover... I'll take more pics tomorrow.
Please no judgement on the state of the garage :)

This was in the top:
IMG_0596.JPG IMG_0598.JPG IMG_0599.JPG

Is that an EV horn? Is the driver inside the enclosure? I don't see how to access the driver...

I have many screws to turn in order to get inside the dog house... wonder what the woofer is?

Were many k-horns home built?
Were they sold as kits? Or plans ?

Not like any Khorn I've ever seen. Similar, but a lot of differences. Different angles on the sides.

No, I know it isn't a factory made k-horn. The previous owner made this in 1959. I've been studying the evolution of the k-horn design since 1947 , and all the subsequent Corner type speakers ...

I don't recognize the horn inside, maybe from an EV sentry or patrician...?

Looks like Electrovoice to me, note the "presence" and "brilliance " controls on the side..... hope it sounds great!

Looks like Electrovoice to me, note the "presence" and "brilliance " controls on the side..... hope it sounds great!

The presence / brilliance controls are branded as Jensen... I need to get into it and find out what the tweeter and woofer are... I might have a "dog from every town" ...

I haven't figured out the crossovers yet... There are 4 ceramic resistors on the back that I am trying to understand their purpose... I really haven't had much time to dig into yet...

I think what you have there is a version of the EV Georgian which is a licensed Klipschorn clone. I have a pair and love them. There should be an access panel for the front firing woofer likely mounted on the side of the interior cabinet. Please remove the panel and shoot a pic of the woofer mounted inside. That will tell us more. And I have no idea about those crossover resistors either.

I think what you have there is a version of the EV Georgian which is a licensed Klipschorn clone. I have a pair and love them. There should be an access panel for the front firing woofer likely mounted on the side of the interior cabinet. Please remove the panel and shoot a pic of the woofer mounted inside. That will tell us more. And I have no idea about those crossover resistors either.

Thanks!
I will try to get inside it tonight when I get home from work...

This looks like an EV. Is your wife gonna let you put this in the living room? If so, she's more understanding than the one I have.

This looks like an EV. Is your wife gonna let you put this in the living room? If so, she's more understanding than the one I have.

No... lol
I have a couple listening vignettes in the basement...
One has a rather solid corner that I have an Aristocrat in. Was thinking about a three channel system, the k-horn in the middle, flanked by either Cornwalls or Fortes. Hmm...

Looks like some fun up there buddy. I'm thinning the heard down this way, Looks like you have a lot of gear I want in that garage haha

Back
Top Bottom