Using AVR as power amp, speaker ??

Toothpick

Since this relates to a HT avr I'll post here...
On Sat. I'm going to pick up a Marantz 2230 to use for vinyl & streaming, currently I'm using a Yamaha rx-v2090 avr hooked up for 2.1.

I'm sure the Marantz's 30w is plenty, but I like the idea of hooking it up to the 2090 and using that as the power amplifier. They both have the appropriate pre/main ins and outs so why not?

My question is this: will the low-pass out on the Yamaha still work in this configuration, or will the sub have to be wired in sequence w the speakers?

My limited understanding is that in this setup thr Yamaha will just send signal to the main speaker outs, but thats just what I read on the internet..Thanks for any clarification!

So - which unit is going to be your "Preamp/processor"? - generally, the first unit is where the LO channel gets created/decoded and that feeds the Sub.

But it also depends on what kind of sub you using - preamp level ins, or high/speaker levels ins?

The 2230 will be the 'pre', and will go the the main-in on the Yamaha.

Currently I have the sub hooked up via the LO, but it (the sub) does have connections for speaker in/outs.

If you use the 2230 as your pre-amp and feed it's pre-amp outputs into the main amp inputs of your Yamaha, the ONLY parts of the Yamaha that will be in the signal chain will be the power amps, nothing more.

NOTHING on the Yammie will work except the power amp

IOW, the sub won't work unless you connect it to either the speaker outs of the Yammie or via the pre-amp outs between the 2230 and the Yammie.

Last edited:
Yep. A better idea would be to use one of the yammie's analog inputs.
Great idea. In such case, I'd suggest you use a "tape out" on the 2230 into an aux port on the yammie. That way, the 2230 will control source selection,the phono preamp stage and, if you choose, the 2230 tuner or any other source plugged into the 2230.

Great idea. In such case, I'd suggest you use a "tape out" on the 2230 into an aux port on the yammie. That way, the 2230 will control source selection,the phono preamp stage and, if you choose, the 2230 tuner or any other source plugged into the 2230.
Plus better signal to noise ratio,

Won't using the yamaha inputs fed from the marantz mean 'doubling down' on preamp sonic signatures (by using both in the chain) defeating the unique vintage sound of the 2230?

I don't get it.

I can see a scenario where someone would want to do this, perhaps because the Yammie might not have a phono stage so the Marantz will be the pre / phono pre / source selector.

As already mentioned, if routing Marantz pre out to the Yammie main in, you would need to use the high level speaker inputs of the sub rather than the sub pre out on the Yammie.

Of course you could do the same just using the Marantz alone and leave the Yammie out of the chain altogether....

Won't using the yamaha inputs fed from the marantz mean 'doubling down' on preamp sonic signatures (by using both in the chain) defeating the unique vintage sound of the 2230?

I don't get it.
Well, we're already using an adapter for an adapter here . . . at least this offers the OP the functionality he also desires.

Easy enough for the OP to try it both ways and see if there is a difference...got two outputs and two sets of cables to work with? Even if there is a difference there might be times when different is close enough if the OP wants the subwoofer to be active.

I don't get it.
If you go from the 2230's pre-amp out to the yammies' aux in, you will "double up" on the pre-amp noise but it will "preserve" the sound of the 2230.

If he goes to the yammie's main in, he will only have the sonic signature of the 2230 (and the yammie's power amp) to deal with

If you go through the 2230's tape out to an aux input on the yammie, you will only have the noise of the yammie to contend with.

Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
The OP hasn't divulged what the rest of the setup is (speakers, size of room, distance to listening spot, listening level preferences, etc), so kinda hard to make any informed recommendations.

Still, if I had a 2230, my preference would be to use it as the preamp/amp with suitable speakers. Otherwise it's like taking a vintage wine and mixing it with a box wine to get 'volume', but that's just me.

Wow! Lot's to consider here, thanks all for the information. I think the original question of sub functionality is settled, I have a lot more to think about now!

Speakers are Polk Monitor 5, and a Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer. The room is not terribly large, wide but not very deep with the 'ideal' listening spot about 8 ft. from the Polks. I think the 30 old-school watts should be plenty -most- of the time, but I do like to turn it up from time to time so I liked the idea of letting the Yamaha provide the juice and not overworking the older Marantz. Of course preserving that vintage sound is important, it sounds like I'll have to do some experimenting to find the best fit. Thanks again all for the suggestions!

ETA: To clarify, would there be some advantage to using the tape out? My thought in going from pre-out to main-in was that it gets the best of both worlds, the distinctive pre-amp section of the Marantz and the Yamaha's power section which I believe is well regarded in this model. My hope is that the Yammie power amp presents the 2230s sound with a little more gusto, but doesn't suck the life out of it either. May not need it at all, but it will be fun to experement. :music:

Last edited:
Try this handy SPL calculator
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

If I plug in your 30 watts, 8 ft to listening spot, and googling the specs of the Polks (90dB efficient), I get a sound level of 103 dB at the listening spot.

That's pretty loud for the Marantz, all by itself.

I'd cut the power in half to leave a 3dB headroom for the Marantz, and still get 100dB at the listening spot.

Try the Marantz alone first. Then have some fun experimenting.

Quick update: I brought home the 2230 and spent a couple hours futzing w it. It's in good shape overall, a little dusty but for what I paid I'm very pleased with the condition. I still need to give it a good cleaning but so far very impressed by the sound, although I can tell when it starts to run out of gas getting pushed hard. Just shy of where I'd like it to be when I crank it up. I do, on occasion, like to rattle the windows a bit. The Yamaha was great at that, so I believe it will get added into the mix at some point but for now the improvement in sound at normal listening volumes is such that I'm happy with just letting it be for a while, after a good cleaning. Veering out of HT talk but cheers again to those that offered their input!

It strikes me that you could run a Y splitter from the Marantz pre outs with one end going to the Yammie and the other going to the sub. I know this is an old thread, but if the OP is still looking, it's a relatively modest investment.

Personally I'd expect the Yamaha to walk all over the Marantz unless you like their "champage' sound, but to each their own.

I'm not sure I follow, don't both right and left pre-out leads need to go to the same place?

Regardless, thanks for the idea. I'm still learning so any input is appreciated.

And yes, in some regards the 2090 does leave the Marantz in the dust. It's far more powerful and a good bit quieter, but I do enjoy the Marantz sound quite a bit and it sounds a lot livelier and more musical at lower volumes to my ears.

I'm hoping to do a partial recap of the Marantz in the coming weeks, then I'll have a baseline to work from and a bit more confidence to experiment without fear of damaging the 2230.

Back
Top Bottom