The Growing Collection - AU-111

Sansui77

Khosaku Kikuchi's Grandson
I have been fortunate to have found a beautiful Sansui AU-111 tube amp adding to my ever growing Sansui collection. Built date April 1967. It has been semi restored apart from the main filter caps. All tubes tested and passed.

Gear feeding the AU-111;
Asus 10" laptop (toslink) - Matrix X-Sabre dac.

Speakers;
Pair of restored black Spendor BC1's

Listening Session;
From the first song, it seemed to do very well giving a 3D image with a wonderful soundstage compared to some of the later solid state Sansui amplifiers. The instruments sound alive with the vocals a little forward which i like. The AU-111 seemed to suit the BC1's well having a smooth and airy very detailed midrange / top end. She isn't shy on the bottom end department either even though the BC1's don't go down below 45Hz but that's not what their renown for.

Overall, very surprised and happy to have it part of my collection. Next is to see how it perform on my Rogers.
IMAG0827.jpg IMAG0828.jpg IMAG0840_1_1.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on your find, I love mine,
Also, yours has a set of rare A-603s for MC pickup. Hope you have a turntable and Vinyl.
If you have no use for them, put me in the queue.

I have been fortunate to have found a beautiful Sansui AU-111 tube amp adding to my ever growing Sansui collection. Built date April 1967. It has been semi restored apart from the main filter caps. All tubes tested and passed.

Gear feeding the AU-111;
Asus 10" laptop (toslink) - Matrix X-Sabre dac.

Speakers;
Pair of restored black Spendor BC1's

Listening Session;
From the first song, it seemed to do very well giving a 3D image with a wonderful soundstage compared to some of the later solid state Sansui amplifiers. The instruments sound alive with the vocals a little forward which i like. The AU-111 seemed to suit the BC1's well having a smooth and airy very detailed midrange / top end. She isn't shy on the bottom end department either even though the BC1's don't go down below 45Hz but that's not what their renown for.

Overall, very surprised and happy to have it part of my collection. Next is to see how it perform on my Rogers.
View attachment 1325885 View attachment 1325886 View attachment 1325887

I've been intrigued by this amp since I first heard about it. Can you tell us more about it now that you've spent some time with it. What are the favorite Sansui amps in your collection and how does the 111 compare?

Thanks in advance

I've been intrigued by this amp since I first heard about it. Can you tell us more about it now that you've spent some time with it. What are the favorite Sansui amps in your collection and how does the 111 compare?

Thanks in advance

The last time I heard my AU-111 was back in November. Just a busy time with a young family at the moment.

I will do a detailed review soon. When I did listen to it I was very impressed.

Back
Top Bottom