Sansui Eight

jobrewer1983

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi All,

I picked up a Sansui Eight last weekend on trade with a fellow AKer.

IMG_0079.JPG

The unit is in good cosmetic cond., but it has a few minor issues.

1. The left channel seems quitter than the right at low levels.

2. On power up and shut down the amp seems to make the drivers on my speakers jump all over. (I have a feeling there is a voltage issue due to some bad resistors)...

Anyone on the site familiar with the single digit Sansui's? Any thing I should be looking for on the 8 that needs to be or should be replaced?

I have download the SM, ill be stopping off at frys this week to pick up a few resistors to adjust the bias and offset.

Any problematic resistors I should be aware of?

You have a pre relay version. Turn your speaker switch off before you shut it down and when turning on keep the speaker switch off for around 8 seconds to avoid the turn on/off transients. Cycle all switches about 50 times and see if that helps any. Your unit could probably use a good cleaning of the switches and pots.

It's not uncommon for the earlier gear to have different volume output when you initially turn the volume - one set of carbon brushes just engages a bit before the other sides rim. On that note the Eight does have a balance check feature, that allows you to set the balance for equal output at listening levels, which can be observed on the right meter that's shared between "signal strength" and "balance check" (press balance check button first)

You would really find the Eight is something to enjoy sonically. I have both the Eight and the Eight Deluxe and the difference between them is aurally miniscule. I love them both, but the eight is dead now. o_O

You have a pre relay version. Turn your speaker switch off before you shut it down and when turning on keep the speaker switch off for around 8 seconds to avoid the turn on/off transients. Cycle all switches about 50 times and see if that helps any. Your unit could probably use a good cleaning of the switches and pots.

Yea I was going to bust out a can of deoxit, and some lube. I only hear a little static in the speaker selector... I didnt even think to turn the speaker selector off.. (hand to forehead)... about to test that method out now. Thank you!

It's not uncommon for the earlier gear to have different volume output when you initially turn the volume - one set of carbon brushes just engages a bit before the other sides rim. On that note the Eight does have a balance check feature, that allows you to set the balance for equal output at listening levels, which can be observed on the right meter that's shared between "signal strength" and "balance check" (press balance check button first)

I tried this, you have to put it in mono or something too... I did not notice any difference, I may have not done it correctly. I’ll check the manual again. :)

I need to get one of these!!

You do, the build quality is really nice. I’ve not had a receiver in years, so was happy to pick it up. Really just want to get the little things figured out. It’s a great sounding receiver. :)

You would really find the Eight is something to enjoy sonically. I have both the Eight and the Eight Deluxe and the difference between them is aurally miniscule. I love them both, but the eight is dead now. o_O

I can tell it’s special, it’s off a little to listen to when the right side is louder. kinda makes an odd “stereo” sound, almost like the left side is in mono. Once dialed in it’s gonna sound great.

Last edited:

Well just powered it up with the selecto on “off” and it worked like a charm. Thank you for that.

A0BBF444-4E46-47A3-9C20-114ACD1278E2.jpeg

Would still like to get that figured out... I don’t think it should do that.

Id also like to figure out how to keep the tuner lamps on when the Aux or phono is in use. I know sansui did that to save the life of the lamps.... need to figure that out.

Dealing with turn on and off transients are not just with HIFI. In the pro audio world the mixer board is turned on first because it causes the transients. After the mixer is on for a bit, then the amps are turned on. The turn off is done in just the opposite way.

Last edited:
Dealing with turn on and off transients are not just with HIFI. In the pro audio world the mixer board is turned on first because it causes the transients. After the mixer is on for a bit, then the amps are turned on. The turn of is done in just the opposite way.
Not so important now, all our amplifiers (or "amplified controllers" as they are now referred to) start up muted, and they are all on a network with control software.....things have changed a lot in the last 15 years....
But I still always tell my guys, during setup "Amps ON LAST", for pack down, "Amps OFF FIRST"......I've always done it in that order because thats how it was back in the day...

Please share a pic when you get the labels on! :)

I think ill be holding off with the stickers until I get the unit back. May send them up when its shipped out. I should be shipping it out in Jan. Man it can come soon enough. I really cant wait to get this one rebuilt.

Ill be sure to post pix of the unit when I ship it out and get it back. :)

Back
Top Bottom