Today's JAZZ playlist

Wynton Kelly - Blues On Purpose.Also features: Paul Chambers, & Jimmy Cobb.Xanadu Records....

R-3842745-1421196822-9491.jpeg.jpg

Herb Geller "Fire In The West" - Jubilee Records (1959) mono
View attachment 1326006
Another great record that i haven't spun in a while.

A Geller I am not sure I know of. At this point in my Jazz-Journey, I can't be certain of knowing / not-knowing an album. It's possible I have listened to this one, but to the best of my knowledge, I don't think so. Regardless....It's now on the list.

A Geller I am not sure I know of. At this point in my Jazz-Journey, I can't be certain of knowing / not-knowing an album. It's possible I have listened to this one, but to the best of my knowledge, I don't think so. Regardless....It's now on the list.

Speaking of "not knowing," I picked-up the Brew Moore tonight on a lark, based on vague recommendations and positive things I (thought I remembered that I) heard...

Great stuff. He has a tone reminiscent of Art Pepper and Paul Desmond, with a smidge of throaty rasp a la Sonny Rollins.

I think in the future, I'll "Brew Moore." (Yeah, I'll take the hit on the terrible coffee pun)...

GJ

Speaking of "not knowing," I picked-up the Brew Moore tonight on a lark, based on vague recommendations and positive things I (thought I remembered that I) heard...

Great stuff. He has a tone reminiscent of Art Pepper and Paul Desmond, with a smidge of throaty rasp a la Sonny Rollins.

I think in the future, I'll "Brew Moore." (Yeah, I'll take the hit on the terrible coffee pun)...

GJ

I like Brew Moore as well. Good call, sir.

Like most of you guys, I've got decades upon decades of Jazz-Listening under my belt. With career, and other business of life in general, I can't possibly remember every single album I have ever listened to, especially now that we are in the digital age. I've probably listened to countless hundreds of albums via streaming services that I do not own in hard media. So it's a crap shoot as to whether or not I can positively state that I have indeed listened to a more obscure album.

No problem. Thought there may be one or two that had not seen this yet.

IMO, an excellent documentary about the four key albums of 1959 that (as the documentary states) "changed Jazz". Whether or not you agree, the documentary itself is done very well and the vintage audio and film make it worth watching.

Billy, I remember you telling me about that documentary. So glad I watched it! Highly recommend it to anyone who's not seen it!!

I'm actually really glad you mentioned this because I always forget about this place. It's awesome, it's delicious and it's close. SWMBO and I will be there this evening (early). I think they close at 7 ish. So a 6 PM dinner. We're heading to Kauai for a long weekend together tomorrow anyway, so we have to make it an early night.

This guy is known for his chicken, but his BBQ shrimp and Steaks are awesome too. The guy started as a food truck and kind of grew from there. He's actually been featured on;

Diners_Drive_ins_and_Dives.jpg

As "the real deal" when it comes to huli chicken.

That show makes me hungry every time I watch it! ;)

No problem. Thought there may be one or two that had not seen this yet.

IMO, an excellent documentary about the four key albums of 1959 that (as the documentary states) "changed Jazz". Whether or not you agree, the documentary itself is done very well and the vintage audio and film make it worth watching.
That doc reinforces that my record collection is like Swiss cheese. I don't have the Mingus Ah Um and Shape of Jazz to Come. Mingus will get ,but Shape is out there for me. Thanks for posting.

KSDS, Cool Strutin show

Last edited:
That doc reinforces that my record collection is like Swiss cheese. I don't have the Mingus Ah Um and Shape of Jazz to Come. Mingus will get ,but Shape is out there for me. Thanks for posting.

KSDS, Cool Strutin show

The Shape of Jazz To Come is maybe the most accessible of Coleman's albums, or maybe it just seems that way to me because it was the first one that I got back in the 70s and I played it a million times. It took me a while to start to really "get it", but I persisted with it, and once I did, I saw that it has a really special, austere kind of beauty to it -- it's pretty extraordinary, but, again, it took me a while to get there. ;) But to this day, some of his stuff it still too "out there", as you put it, for me!

Back
Top Bottom