Today's JAZZ playlist

That doc reinforces that my record collection is like Swiss cheese. I don't have the Mingus Ah Um and Shape of Jazz to Come. Mingus will get ,but Shape is out there for me. Thanks for posting.

KSDS, Cool Strutin show

Joining you on KSDS. Thanks for that reminder. I have wanted to check out the "Cool Struttin" show for a while.

I agree 100 percent on Coleman's works, although "Shape of Jazz to Come" is a bit more tame than some of his offerings. I'm personally not into "FREE JAZZ" where every musician is doing his own thing regardless of the other musicians playing with him. But to each their own. I realize some Love that album. So I tread lightly. The cover is hanging on my wall because it's one of the four biggies from 1959.

Mingus "Ah Um" is (of course IMO) a must have. Let us know how you like it when you get it. With your years of Jazz listening, you've probably listened to cuts here and there, and possibly the whole album. Still worth having in hard media.

X2Vgxmc.jpg

Great album!

The Shape of Jazz To Come is maybe the most accessible of Coleman's albums, or maybe it just seems that way to me because it was the first one that I got back in the 70s and I played it a million times. It took me a while to start to really "get it", but I persisted with it, and once I did, I saw that it has a really special, austere kind of beauty to it -- it's pretty extraordinary, but, again, it took me a while to get there. ;) But to this day, some of his stuff it still too "out there", as you put it, for me!
Maybe I'll give it a try,too.

Joining you on KSDS. Thanks for that reminder. I have wanted to check out the "Cool Struttin" show for a while.

I agree 100 percent on Coleman's works, although "Shape of Jazz to Come" is a bit more tame than some of his offerings. I'm personally not into "FREE JAZZ" where every musician is doing his own thing regardless of the other musicians playing with him. But to each their own. I realize some Love that album. So I tread lightly. The cover is hanging on my wall because it's one of the four biggies from 1959.

Mingus "Ah Um" is (of course IMO) a must have. Let us know how you like it when you get it. With your years of Jazz listening, you've probably listened to cuts here and there, and possibly the whole album. Still worth having in hard media.
Think I try both. Enjoying Cool Strutin tonight.
Were to get a little snow overnight. Any in the islands?

"Ah Um" is one I've had in my hand more than once. Yet, I put it back and took others. This long journey of listening has many twists and turns. We can follow many different paths, crossing at points and going on further or staying put. Each record is a crossing point.

Think I try both. Enjoying Cool Strutin tonight.
Were to get a little snow overnight. Any in the islands?

No snow here yet. Currently 76 and cloudy in Kaneohe (Windward side of Oahu) with a little very light rain. Honestly? That's PERFECT for me. I don't like 85 degrees and high humidity. 76 with no sun feels so much better to me. It's why I prefer the windward side of Oahu. We get more clouds than Honolulu or Waikiki on the Leeward side of the island. Not that we're Seattle! We don't get rained out every day, but on days where the trade winds have stopped and it's 88 degrees with high humidity? You'll be hoping for clouds!

Back
Top Bottom