CR-620 Woes

If the problem was the PS it would effect both channels..

Not saying it's the PS, but there seems to be a generic problem with the entire power side board, like they cleaned them with something that caused early cap failure. The ones I've worked on had the same basic problems, and nothing's going to work right unless the caps are dealt with. As for throwing parts at a problem, you know full well I don't work that way, but in this case, unless one has the equipment to test 'em, those caps can be assumed bad. Ditto the two transistors I mentioned. Odds are very high they're a source of erratic behavior. Not to say there aren't 37 other problems, but those are low hanging fruit.

Post a photo of the heatsink so I can see the output transistors labels.

Post a photo of the heatsink so I can see the output transistors labels.
So this resistor (I think) (the one covered in the tube) Just popped and made a nice little fire for a bit.
oWyDia7.jpg

FY9jAoC.jpg

I can't read the transistors.. Are they from left to right 2SD 2SB 2SD 2SB ?

Last edited:
If so measure the voltages around(E,B&C) all four and post results.

If so measure the voltages around(E,B&C) all four and post results.
However before it popped the E B & C on the 2SD371s we're within tolerance. It was the 2SBs that we're showing 38v on the EB and C

But not sure why only L701 would be showing rail voltage in that case

But not sure why only L701 would be showing rail voltage in that case
Because....

both of the of the 2SB531 are showing C- -37.2 B- -37.2 E- -38.1v

Remove the 2SB's and test them out of the circuit.

Because....

both of the of the 2SB531 are showing C- -37.2 B- -37.2 E- -38.1v

Remove the 2SB's and test them out of the circuit.

So just an update, pulled both the 2SBs and tested them (just using continuity/diode mode on my multimeter). One of them tested fine. The other showed a dead short between the Collector and Emitter. Going to guess that was our problem.

So just an update, pulled both the 2SBs and tested them (just using continuity/diode mode on my multimeter). One of them tested fine. The other showed a dead short between the Collector and Emitter. Going to guess that was our problem.
That will solve one problem.

That will solve one problem.
Okay so, we removed the two bad transistors, and powering the amp on with the good ones in yields a click (In the TR-723 and TR-725 spots). However, doing so in the TR-726 and TR-724 side yields wildly varying negative voltages. And using a known good set of transistors to replace the bad ones puts us back to the beginning with there being rail voltage at L701 again, and caused our replacement resistor to pop.

Back
Top Bottom