JBL 4301B - looking for best match

michalczar7

I would like to say hello:) as this is my first thread on AK.

I'm looking for receiver/amplifier to pair with my JBL 4301B which are not so common in Poland. Currently they play with Yaqin MC-13B, but this amplifier is just 40 watts. I've read here about JBL L-19/4301B and many say that they sound best with high powered amps. I cannot say bad word about yaqin as it sound great, buy 4301B are really hard to drive and the sound is missing bass speed and control. I will post pics soon.

Woofers and crossovers has been restored. Now its time for amplifier.

I was thinking about:

Kenwood L series, as I'm able to buy l-07m first generation 240v version or Supreme 600. I was looking also for l-06m l-09m l-1000m m2 m2a or kr9400. I've read lots of good opinion about mentioned amplifiers.

Other amps I was thinking of: Yamaha pc2002m, B-2, onkyo m-504.

I didn't hear any of them and I'm still not sure.... vintage or newer gear, SS or tube.

Thank you.

Possibly your best match:

41VVcnpJhjL.jpg

Welcome Aboard!

The limited power handling of the speakers and moderate efficiency will probably be best served by a middle-power amplifier or receiver. The 45Hz low end might like something with a bit more power to force them into lower frequencies, so a 50W or so amplifier might be a reasonable match. The Kenwood S-600 is a nice amp, but will easily over-drive those speakers. I wouldn't necessarily pass on that amplifier if it is available at a good price, but you may end up shopping for larger speakers in the future.

That's how it all begins for many of us.

I have a chance to buy set l-07c II + l-07m pair for about 1400$ , european version. I have got pictures and it seems like they are stock.

Hello and welcome.

I have(Had for 5 years) a pair of original L19 and a 2x18 watts Single end Class A Audion valve amp. It played with full flesh bas extension and LOUD,never ever had the feeling something missing. At the time I was looking around to upgrade crossovers for the speakers, but I dident went for it. On reading several threads here on Audiokarma why that might be a bad move , because of exotic compounds in the crossover that cant be reproduced nowdays. That makes me believe that you received your speakers second hand after the upgrade ?

They are, originally, easy load for any amp.

So that takes me to the question : Woofers and crossovers has been restored - How ?
Given that the JBL-L19 are rated for 10-60 watt amp you shouldent need a monsteramp in the first place. JBL-L19 powerhandling is very poor because of the tight tolerance in the voice coils, you should be ok with any 2x50w amp.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.

I have(Had for 5 years) a pair of original L19 and a 2x18 watts Single end Class A Audion valve amp. It played with full flesh bas extension and LOUD,never ever had the feeling something missing. At the time I was looking around to upgrade crossovers for the speakers, but I dident went for it. On reading several threads here on Audiokarma why that might be a bad move , because of exotic compounds in the crossover that cant be reproduced nowdays. That makes me believe that you received your speakers second hand after the upgrade ?

They are, originally, easy load for any amp.

So that takes me to the question : Woofers and crossovers has been restored - How ?
Given that the JBL-L19 are rated for 10-60 watt amp you shouldent need a monsteramp in the first place. JBL-L19 powerhandling is very poor because of the tight tolerance in the voice coils, you should be ok with any 2x50w amp.

These are high efficiency studio monitors, they don't need much power. But the low end isn't deeply low. Not sure what you're expecting out of 45Hz low end? Perhaps a subwoofer is a better alternative.

If you want a lot more low end find a (musical) sub to bring in the bottom frequencies ...
but otherwise - getting a good amp of, say, 100 - 150 watts/ch or so ought to be fine.
You don't need to run it wide open, but having some margin (headroom) is a good thing.

Plus, if you go for other speakers later on,
the amp can still be kept as the center of your system.

Back
Top Bottom