Spielberg ever make a bad movie

91firebird

I have never seen a Spielberg movie I did not like.just got ready player one a dam good movie.well if he
Made a bad movie lets hear about it.i believe he made the movie duel with Dennis weaver and a crazy
Semi truck driver trying to drive him crazy.

Always - with Dreyfus and Audrey Hepburn - I like it, but its a funky piece of schlock, indeed.

Empire of the Sun - based on a true story by JG Ballard - with young Christian Bale as Jim!

need more?

Ask Spielberg.
He has stated in many interviews that the movie “1941” was his worst.

But for me, (Indiana Jones and the) Crystal Skull is worse. It’s worse because he should have known better than to go with the Mesoamerican aliens idea. Not to mention the general poor quality of the plot and dialog. BUT I suppose if one has achieved his level of success in “the industry” that making a turkey just because you want to work with your old pals is allowed.

Last edited:
Many people who read the fantastic Ready Player One book (such as me) did not like his movie rendition. Interestingly enough, people who did like the movie tended to be those that didn't read the book first.

Agree with @hjames on Always. I know the director was going form some 40s schlock, but unfortunately he hit the target.

Disagree on Empire of the Sun. John Malkovich is excellent. But, yeah, it is long.

Spielberg's worst would have to be the spectacularly not funny comedy, 1941. There's a reason when you think of Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi, this one never pops up.

iu

1941 usually takes this, er, top honor.

Funny, I watched Jaws last night, during which I was thinking about 1941, which (for some effin' reasons) led me to thinking about Howard The Duck. Man, I got outta my head and returned to Amity Island as quickly as possible!

Agree with @hjames on Always. I know the director was going form some 40s schlock, but unfortunately he hit the target.

Disagree on Empire of the Sun. John Malkovich is excellent. But, yeah, it is long.

Spielberg's worst would have to be the spectacularly not funny comedy, 1941. There's a reason when you think of Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi, this one never pops up.

iu
I had no idea that was a Spielberg flick. I never watched it as everyone said it sucked ...

Hook!! Indy and the Crystal Skull!! God, so many clunkers!
and there are more!!

Yeah. The ending of "Saving Private Ryan" pretty much ruined it for me. He had a masterpiece going until he had to forge an overwrought ending onto it.

I think Saving Pvt. Ryan isn’t holding up particularly well. I didn’t like 1941, Hook, Last Crusade, Always, Lost World, AI, Munich, Schindler’s List and Warhorse.

It's all a matter of taste. I have not liked any of his films. Schindler's List wasn't terrible, but I think his fictional films are appallingly dreadful .

Back
Top Bottom