Is the Shure Me95ed cart a good match for Dual 1019?

dpg3

I'm getting a Dual 1019 repaired/restored, it has an old ceramic cart on it that I want to replace with a Shure Me95ed cart. Is this a good match for the 1019?
DSC00819.JPG DSC00820.JPG DSC00833.JPG DSC00836.JPG

Shure and Dual are a good match. In fact, I am rehabbing a 1019, and will be using the same cartridge.

Probably should of mentioned since the 1019 is a "stacker" table, you will need to shim the cartridge to level the tone arm. I have not got that far, but shims are available on ebay, or you can make your own.

I've calculated the effective mass of the 1019 tonearm to be about 11 grams with the aftermarket headshell I'm using. Not sure how different the mass of the original headshell is. I'm led to believe that the compliance of the M95ED is around 25-30 which should give a resonance frequency of around 7hz. That's generally considered about as low as you want to go before you run into footfall/warp issues. All of that said, these turntables were often sold with Shures when they were new, so it must have worked well.

Probably should of mentioned since the 1019 is a "stacker" table, you will need to shim the cartridge to level the tone arm. I have not got that far, but shims are available on ebay, or you can make your own.
I bought one of these shims and found that it was far too thick and too aggressive of an adjustment. Both cartridges I tried with it ended up tail-down. I used a little shim made from a credit card wedged under the rear of the cartridge and it worked great.

Good to know, I'm not ready to mount my cartridge.
I bought one of these shims and found that it was far too thick and too aggressive of an adjustment. Both cartridges I tried with it ended up tail-down. I used a little shim made from a credit card wedged under the rear of the cartridge and it worked great.

I'm getting a Dual 1019 repaired/restored, it has an old ceramic cart on it that I want to replace with a Shure Me95ed cart. Is this a good match for the 1019?
View attachment 1327544 View attachment 1327545 View attachment 1327546 View attachment 1327547

One of my early exposures to HiFi back in the late '70s included a similar Dual with an M95ED through a Marantz 4270 with excellent results! It made quite the impression on me as I still recall the clarity and imaging like nothing I had ever experienced before. I think you will like it.

Looking forward to your impressions on the combo. I have that cart and that table and haven't tried them out together.

View attachment 1327544 View attachment 1327545 View attachment 1327546 View attachment 1327547

I can't tell what stylus is on your Shure cartridge, but NOS Shure Ne95ED are still available at very reasonable prices. I have a Realistic R47XT, that is basically an OEM version of the Me95ED. This is a light tracking 0.2 x 0.7 mil elliptical. My R47XT came with a LAB 440 turntable I bought a few years go, but was missing the stylus. I picked up an Ne95ED from LPTunes:

Shure-Ne95-ED-1.jpg

Shure-Ne95-ED-2.jpg

Shure-Ne95-ED-3.jpg

Shure-Ne95-ED-4.jpg

Perfect fit and sounds great.

Looking forward to your impressions on the combo. I have that cart and that table and haven't tried them out together.
I'm bringing the 1019 in to get restored Monday and the Shure cart mounted, let you know when I get it back.

I can't tell what stylus is on your Shure cartridge, but NOS Shure Ne95ED are still available at very reasonable prices. I have a Realistic R47XT, that is basically an OEM version of the Me95ED. This is a light tracking 0.2 x 0.7 mil elliptical. My R47XT came with a LAB 440 turntable I bought a few years go, but was missing the stylus. I picked up an Ne95ED from LPTunes:

Shure-Ne95-ED-1.jpg

Shure-Ne95-ED-2.jpg

Shure-Ne95-ED-3.jpg

Shure-Ne95-ED-4.jpg

Perfect fit and sounds great.
Stylus is a Shure 70 B, I have it on a Dual CS 503-1 and it sounded really great. Stylus had little to no hours on it.

Stylus is a Shure 70 B, I have it on a Dual CS 503-1 and it sounded really great. Stylus had little to no hours on it.

That's a 0.6 mil conical with a recommended VTF of 1.5 - 3g. It's a good stylus (most genuine Shures are), but a lighter tracking elliptical might be a better match for your tonearm and cartridge.

I also have the r47xt with the ne95ed stylus on my dual 1229.In my opinion,what a deal as the used realistic shure r25xt and r47xt can be found inexpensively and the NOS Shure ne95ed can be found still for less than 60 bux.

That Shure ne95ed made my 97xe listenable with high end the original stylus was masking, perfect fit as well.

Another compromise to getting the vertical tracking/stylus rake angle closer to accurate is to use a thicker platter mat or add one on the existing. That's what I've done with my Elac Miracord 50H, also an auto stacking table.

I also have the r47xt with the ne95ed stylus on my dual 1229.In my opinion,what a deal as the used realistic shure r25xt and r47xt can be found inexpensively and the NOS Shure ne95ed can be found still for less than 60 bux.
I think I'll try what I have at the moment and see what that sounds like but I appreciate the suggestion!!

That Shure ne95ed made my 97xe listenable with high end the original stylus was masking, perfect fit as well.

Another compromise to getting the vertical tracking/stylus rake angle closer to accurate is to use a thicker platter mat or add one on the existing. That's what I've done with my Elac Miracord 50H, also an auto stacking table.
OK thanks good to know.

Back
Top Bottom