Dual 1210 issue

Bill44

Hi AK,

My Noresco NC-341 (Dual 1210 on top) just started burning and I cannot see what burnt, is this a common problem and if so, how can I fix it?
Thank you,
Bill

Noresco must have been the Canadian subsidiary of Lucas.

[Only a select few will understand this reference.]

I figured it was not a common problem, I think I may have found something wrong, but I am not sure, here is a picture of it.

Also, anyone know a good and effective way of getting rid of the smell? I've had my window open for several hours and the smell is still here.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwszvhktYO0Ydktfa1NoWEdTOEhiOHdMUUNBMGI3ZWFOOWtR
open

Here's the link, sorry about not realizing that it didn't work earlier.

Last edited:
Contact Klaus (DualCan) on VinylEngine. He's a former assistant manager at Noresco.

BTW, your pic doesn't show...

Last edited:
OK look, as far as I can tell, this is not a turntable issue but rather a driver amp PCB / power supply malfunction:

Basically, this PCB with ancient components and rotten power lines:

mjvlZrq.jpg

Fried resistors and medieval electrolytic capacitors:

xibvXxM.jpg

...and cooked (bias?) transistors, and suspiciously scorched sections:

K5r7siv.jpg

Honestly, the entire PCB could use a rebuild, the ouput transistors need checking (prolly some are toast) and the power lines verified and replaced.
It sounds like a major PITA and unless you have the skill to do it on your own, I'm not convinced it's financially viable or even worth it. Good news is,
most likely, the nice turntable is probably intact and can be removed to it's own plinth and connected to it's own power supply. Many here would be
able to assist if you separate the turntable from the amp carcass and re-designate the thread toward a stand alone TT.

I looked back at the areas that you have marked and determined that I am bad at taking these types of photos, I say this because the circle in the first picture is just a marking on the wire, as with the second photo, the top square is just a shadow which is the same for the circle in the third photo, the square marker is a reflection. Knowing this, is it still worth it to repair? (Also, I thought that the blue capacitor in photo #2 looked broken or busted or something). Thank you very much for analyzing these photos for me.

OK look, as far as I can tell, this is not a turntable issue but rather a driver amp PCB / power supply malfunction:

Basically, this PCB with ancient components and rotten power lines:

mjvlZrq.jpg

Fried resistors and medieval electrolytic capacitors:

xibvXxM.jpg

...and cooked (bias?) transistors, and suspiciously scorched sections:

K5r7siv.jpg

Honestly, the entire PCB could use a rebuild, the ouput transistors need checking (prolly some are toast) and the power lines verified and replaced.
It sounds like a major PITA and unless you have the skill to do it on your own, I'm not convinced it's financially viable or even worth it. Good news is,
most likely, the nice turntable is probably intact and can be removed to it's own plinth and connected to it's own power supply. Many here would be
able to assist if you separate the turntable from the amp carcass and re-designate the thread toward a stand alone TT.

Like tnsilver said, major PITA to restore and not worth the effort in my opinion. Just remove the TT and use it with another amp/receiver...

Given that the whole stereo part is an expensive repair job, I think I’ll either sell it on Kijiji, or run the turntable through my stereo, how hard would it be to separate the TT from the stereo?

You're probably right Bill, it's hard to tell by pics and I did not do a thorough image analysis but it's clear the main PCB is shot with obvious fried components. Anyway, that power cord should be regarded a fire hazard (look under the knot). The large film capacitors with the striped marking all across them haven't been around since the late 60's. The electronics i've seen is ancient and most of it doesn't age well (to say the least) even without it being zapped. Frankly, I'm surprised something like this didn't happen sooner - and we haven't seen the power transformer yet. Sadly, a complete rebuild doesn't come cheap b/c it's a lot of manual labor and it applies for high-end and run of the mill units just the same. This isn't high-end so this unit's preservation should be judicially considered by whoever is going to pay for it. I simply do not think it's worth it. The TT can and should be salvaged though IMO.

Given that the whole stereo part is an expensive repair job, I think I’ll either sell it on Kijiji, or run the turntable through my stereo, how hard would it be to separate the TT from the stereo?
Pics of the underneath, the top and complete view or contact Klaus as he probably have the manual... Probably a couple of screws like on the usual Dual changers.

It's easy to remove. Loosen the two transit screws, tilt them inward, and lift up. You'll have to unplug the power cord, RCAs, and ground wire to get it out completely.
You might want to save the cutout board the table rested on (or alternately, remove the amp electronics and use the case) since you'll need it, or a replacement, to mount the table in anything else.

Jokes aside for the moment, I loved my little TR-7. Was a stunning little car with 5 MPH bumpers and 5 MPH frame rails and the best Jaguar/Rover 5 speed gearbox I have ever had the pleasure of rowing. The Tremec 6 speed box on my GTO is crap in comparison. But at least I have an LS-1 under the bonnet.

Back
Top Bottom