Blue Ray Drive for PC Recommendations

heyraz

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I would like to listen to some recently released Blue Ray Discs (Beatles and Hendrix) on my 2 channel stereo.

My idea is to put a Blue Ray drive into my computer and run the audio over to my 2 channel stereo via the Sound blaster "something extreme" card's optical output to my 2 channel stereo's DAC and so forth. Is this feasible and if so I would appreciate some internal Blue Ray Drive recommendations.

Also, when I watch a movie from my pc the audio portion is normally sent over the hdmi to my TV. I'd like to send the audio to my 2 channel stereo over the optical. Will there be a time lag?
Thanks in advance.

I'm checking Amazon. My experience hasn't been great with internal CD/DVD drives...they all seem to slack off and fail. Cheap or expensive....they don't seem to last more than a year or two.
Edit:
I checked Amazon Reviews. Nothing jumps to the top of my list. Looking at their best sellers isn't cut and dry. A liberal return policy will be necessary.

Last edited:
I got a Blu Ray player on the PC I built ~5 years ago thinking I could just watch movies on my PC, but it turns out that there isn't an easy way to do so. Apparently Windows doesn't have the codec to play it. You should probably look into being able to actually play them before spending the money. I tried downloading some stuff to get VLC to play the disc, but never got it to work.

That. I did the same thing, and found the copy protection schemes involved basically 'make' you pay money and load annoying software to actually do that. (Hm, I have NOT tried BluRay Audio discs on it yet.....)
I've also found that I seem to get MUCH higher error rates when I use it to rip CDs, and ended up buying a dirt cheap USB CD drive to get better results!
I did find a site (somewhere) that compared failure rates of (most?) all bluray drives (&drivers, too, I think?), so there IS data of some kind Out There.

I got a Blu Ray player on the PC I built ~5 years ago thinking I could just watch movies on my PC, but it turns out that there isn't an easy way to do so. Apparently Windows doesn't have the codec to play it. You should probably look into being able to actually play them before spending the money. I tried downloading some stuff to get VLC to play the disc, but never got it to work.

That. I did the same thing, and found the copy protection schemes involved basically 'make' you pay money and load annoying software to actually do that. (Hm, I have NOT tried BluRay Audio discs on it yet.....)
I've also found that I seem to get MUCH higher error rates when I use it to rip CDs, and ended up buying a dirt cheap USB CD drive to get better results!
I did find a site (somewhere) that compared failure rates of (most?) all bluray drives (&drivers, too, I think?), so there IS data of some kind Out There.

I downloaded the free Leawo Blu-ray player. It works perfectly for playing Blu-ray movies. It wasn't necessary to jump through any hoops to get it to do so. I don't have any Blu-ray audio disks so I can't comment on them. I have some Blu-ray RW's. Windows 10 alone works with them for data with no problem.

In some cases it can be a good idea to grab the full retail versions of certain computer hardware instead of just the bulk versions. Of course that doesn't always mean, that one will get one's dearest burning, media playback, back-up or whatever software, but at least one can usually expect that the bundled software will actually work with that piece of hardware - and often enough the bulk versions are hardly cheaper...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Back
Top Bottom