General tech questions for a newbie

milehisui

Couple of things:
How can you tell how a receiver/amp sounds, when you need speakers to hear anything?

What era/year qualifies as vintage equipment?

I have an 80's sansui rack system. To sell it, would it be better to separate the system components or keep the "rack system" altogether?

Reactions: Bob
Yeah, lots of possibilities here, so unfortunately the vague response "it depends" is apropos...

Nowadays, "vintage" is in the neighborhood of 20 years, and "antique" is often less than fifty. But that's not what the terms originally meant.

Keeping your system together and selling it as a unit would be great, but you may not be able to (for a reasonable price); it depends on your market and your gear's desirability factor.

Who is showing a receiver without speakers? Bring headphones, but also establish under what conditions you can return the unit for a refund.

GJ

Bring headphones, but also establish under what conditions you can return the unit for a refund.
It's not at all unusual, in the repair business, to encounter amps and receivers that sound fine on headphones but won't drive speakers. If possible, I would simply bring along a small pair of low-efficiency speakers and hookup cables. Even a single speaker would serve, as long as we're not dealing with tube equipment --- just connect it to one channel at a time.

It's not at all unusual, in the repair business, to encounter amps and receivers that sound fine on headphones but won't drive speakers. If possible, I would simply bring along a small pair of low-efficiency speakers and hookup cables. Even a single speaker would serve, as long as we're not dealing with tube equipment --- just connect it to one channel at a time.

Exactly what I was intimating when I mentioned "returns." I assume the OP doesn't have speakers available, or he wouldn't have posed the question as he did.

GJ

If your system can be split up as in used on it's own (individual AC power cords and RCA connections for in/out), you could likely sell one or two pieces then get stuck with the rest that no one wants.

Look up the models of the components on Google, the results will tell you what you need to do. If everyone is going gaga over the system then keep it together. If people only talk about the amp and the rest is meh then price the system based on the amp and let the buyer deal with the rest. If nobody gives a crap about the system or it's components then whatever, sell it all as a package for cheap and it'll be gone.

Couple of things:
How can you tell how a receiver/amp sounds, when you need speakers to hear anything?

What era/year qualifies as vintage equipment?

I have an 80's sansui rack system. To sell it, would it be better to separate the system components or keep the "rack system" altogether?

If it is truly a rack system, and you have the rack, and if it isn't all beat up, and if the components work properly, including the speakers with all drivers, then I'd sell it all-in-one. Not many collectors want those rack systems, though there may be a few buyers out there, and even fewer want the separate pieces from them, other than maybe an amp. Easier to just sell it all. Even Sansui made some pretty dismal rack systems.

If you can't find a buyer, then give it to a friend or family member who would use it. Or use it yourself in the garage. Your dog may like it in his house. :)

I have found the cd player (PC-V750)not functioning. Loose belt keeps the eject from opening. I got a cd in it but wouldnt play. Cassette (dual D-95WR)has a cassette tape in side A. I can't open even tho I took the case off. I thought this all worked when mother in law gave it to me. Tuner (T-900)works. Turntable P-L95R seems to work. Has double tone arm (?) , plays either side of LP without flipping it over. Kind of cool. Might be worth something? There is also an Remote Computer-Equalizer(RG-900R), amplifier (A-1200p). Not sure if these can work independent of each other. Speaker are just OK for my ears. They are S-920U. Not near as good sounding as my SP-2700s.

I can't remember if the amp/tuner/EQ/cassette/CD units were available seperately or not.

But the turntable was.

It was not a great turntable but being "auto-reverse" was it's primary feature. I would not bother with one myself except for it's being a bit of a curiosity. Sharp marketed something similar but could have been the same table just rebranded. The concept (tried also in the mid century) never caught on for obvious reasons.

But be that as it may, that turntable is the most desirable component just because it's an oddball. The right person might consider it highly attractive.

There might be takers for the EQ perhaps because it's remote controllable. If you had the remote that is.

The rest is rack system caliber gear. Probably expensive as rack systems go but a rack system none the less.

Back
Top Bottom