Solid State Power Amp Curious

DesignTaylor

Hey gang,

Finally joined the forum, I've been lurking and reading for the past two years. Thanks to all the members here for all the knowledge I've gained reading up on past discussions. Anyway, onto the question at hand...

I'm interested in getting a dedicated power amp. I'm currently using an Eico ST-70 but I'm not using the integrated phono stage, I'm using the one in my Apt-Holman pre which I find to be pretty impressive. I've had a few other integrated tubers (Fisher KX-200 and Dynaco SCA-35) as I tend to value the warmer side of things I also love to experiment, mix and match. I'm considering picking up a SS amp to see how it suits me and maybe trying to tube preamps down the road.

So where to start? Something like the NAD 2200 seems like a safe starting point. Phase Linear 400 also caught my eye.

I listen exclusively to vinyl on this system. All over the map from classical to jazz to rock, etc. I like a clean but warm tone profile. Currently running some Totem Arros and have a pair of JBL L40s for rock'n out.

Let me know if you've got any suggestions for vintage solid state amps under $500 (less is always better) that fit the bill. More reliable, less finicky is also a plus.

Thanks!

I have several suggestions on solid state amps with warm, tube-like sound, since I own a few.
Onkyo Grand Integra M508
Any of the Soundcraftsmen Mosfet amps: Pro-power series, RA5501, RA5502, PM series.
Denon POA-1500
Sansui AU-9900, AU-11000 are integrated amps that have that kind of sound. The Power amps from that series; BA-2000 and BA-3000 should be similar.

safe starting point. Phase Linear 400 also caught my eye.
What little I know about PL 400's is that a speaker protection kit is mandatory. Next replacement on main filter caps.
Some work would be required. The PL forum (pheonix) advocate the White Oak upgrades which will turn the standard PL400
into something else...
http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/
http://home.earthlink.net/~dimlay/
http://www.whiteoakaudio.com/

To be fair, any vintage amp you buy will need work

Thanks for the shopping list @dr*audio ! Soundcraftsmen is not a brand I've come across but will definitely do some research.

@mbz appreciate the call outs on the PL 400

For my current speakers, I really don't need a huge amount of power but the system is always evolving and I'd like to get something with a bit of headroom for future situations.

The tube preamp should have more to do with how the system sounds. A good SS power amp should just amplify without adding any color to the sound. I have a couple that do just that, and one that does sound warmer than the others. I've used my tube preamps connected to SS power amps with very good results. Not so much the other way around.

After working my up from the Kenwood Model 600 I owned for nearly 30 years, I went through NAD, Hafler and now White Oaked Phase Linear. I am going no further.

NAD and Hafler are great sounding amps and plentiful so they don't cost an arm and a leg. A Hafler DH200 or DH220 is well thought out and might interest me more than a NAD if I had to do it again. The are easy to work on, if needs demand, and upgrades/mods are fairly well documented if one wanted to go that route.

David Hafler was no slouch about creating amplifiers.

I went the other direction. I have a kit-built Hafler DH200 from 1981. Got the tube bug and now have three tube amps. I still use the Hafler and it is every bit as enjoyable as the the tube amps. A DH200 should have plenty of power for you and is very easy to work on and upgrade. Also they can be had for not too much money.

I went the other direction. I have a kit-built Hafler DH200 from 1981. Got the tube bug and now have three tube amps. I still use the Hafler and it is every bit as enjoyable as the the tube amps. A DH200 should have plenty of power for you and is very easy to work on and upgrade. Also they can be had for not too much money.
Interesting. I swapped my third DH-200 for a pair of mono tube amps and the tube units are my best sounding amps by quite a margin, one example, Mike's jaw dropped when they were finally put in the system the day we were amp listening. The Haflers were the bottom of the group, but all amps were at least very good to excellent. A second example of that margin was listening to the main rig and swapping in the tube amps, "now that is the way it is supposed to sound" was the comment from @Aerobat.

But I still have both the Haflers (kits from new) and both the tube amps (from early 80s trade) and today the Hafler is running full range as I rebuild the main rig with some gear that has been on the sidelines. Still sounds great. Those DH-200s are cheap, high quality power.

Last edited:
Something like the NAD 2200 seems like a safe starting point. Phase Linear 400 also caught my eye

i have both of those amps
yeah the pl is kewl looking

without mods
the NAD is safer and too me sounds better

i sold the pl recently
even my vintage speakers are "higher" quality and wont be tested with a flame linear

I think long-term I'd be interested in tube monoblocks but they seem like a big investment at this point and I'm interested to experiment and try my hand at SS power and a tube pre, flipping from the config I have now.

Thanks for all the reccos!

Back
Top Bottom