Marantz 2270 vs Mac 1900

DAA

Have an offer to swap my restored Marantz 2270 with WC22 case for a minty, restored Mac 1900 locally.

Love the 2270. Will I love the Mac more or less? Looks wise, the 2270 wins by a mile—-sound though??? Run a TT, CD player and stream through. Restored OLAs are speaker of choice.

Opinions sought—-

if you like how the 2270 sounds you should keep it. i have both and the the 1900 has been put in storage and probably going up for sale i just prefer the sound of marantz myself and the 1900 just doesnt cut it for me. my 1900 is not restored though so that could affect it a bit. but i think if you like the marantz sound you may not like the mac as much.

Keep the 2270 and pick up a 1900 to see if it's better in your situation. If the 1900 isn't what you want you can easily sell it for what you paid for it provided you don't overpay.

The Marantz when new was brighter and more if your face than the 1900 which tended to be to laid back and with to little power for most folks. It did have one of the best phono pre-amp sections of the time for a receiver. Hooked up to a pair of Cornwalls or Belles from that period which tended to be to bright for most folks the 1900 gave the speakers a chance to perform to their best with out irritating your ears. There just wasn't enough power foremost home speakers like AR -3a , ML-1c, KEF or B&W. I like the 1900 with JBL's L300 as the ring radiator tweeter could be a little caustic and the 1900 kind of cooled down the reproduction. The marantz was a very popular unit and we sold quite a few with Boston, EPI and AR speakers. Folks really like the mid control and added flexibility of the 2270 with more power than the 1900. The Mac had lower distortion and better signal to noise, but folks preferred the Marantz. Personally I would rather have a Sansui model from that period..

I think you made the right choice. Many folks believe the 2270 and it’s little brother the 2245 are the best vintage Marantz receivers to own and enjoy.

I have both as well.

They both are great vintage receivers. One important area I give the nod to the 2270 Is the volume control on the 1900 that wears out and there is no easy direct replacement at this time I do not believe.. I could be wrong.

Dig the cap coupled sound of the 1900 though it's different than the direct coupled sound of the 2270. Reminds me of a beefier 2230 with more inputs. So it's a bit like asking which of your kids do you love the best.

If I had to have one though it would be the 2270.

I have both as well.

They both are great vintage receivers. One important area I give the nod to the 2270 Is the volume control on the 1900 that wears out and there is no easy direct replacement at this time I do not believe.. I could be wrong.

Dig the cap coupled sound of the 1900 though it's different than the direct coupled sound of the 2270. Reminds me of a beefier 2230 with more inputs. So it's a bit like asking which of your kids do you love the best.

If I had to have one though it would be the 2270.
Yes it does...Had a 1900....The push buttons do sink and tend to stick...I had Terry Recap and Audio Upgrade the 1900...When I replace the Main Caps
it did very well...Still have 7T, 1060, 2230 (not 2270) but I would also take the 2270 as the sound profile is sweeter.

Back
Top Bottom