How do you use a DAC with your SX-1250?

70'sMusic

Hi Everyone,

This weekend I'm going to try to wire my Sony HAP S1 to use as a system DAC where all of the audio signals, regardless of source, will go through it's DAC. I believe it can be done, will let you know.

But, wanted to ask if any of you use a DAC with your SX receiver? If "yes" how did you wire it up? For example, been looking at a nicely used McIntosh D100 but I don't see a way to put it "in line" with my receiver.

Any suggestions or recommendations you can share is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help and I look forward to reading your responses.

Just plug it into the AUX or TAPE inputs, thats all you need to do, there's no trickery with it.

The HAP is a music player with an optical and coax digital inputs. It also has a power amplifier section with speaker outputs so that means it has a DAC in it.

You can plug in two digital sources plus a LAN cable to connect to a computer to transfer music files to and from the player.

To add an external DAC you'd need a digital output on the HAP and there isn't one.

To connect the HAP to the SX1250, use the Line Out L/R on the back of the HAP and connect those outputs to an analog audio L/R input on the back of the 1250.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the help, I really appreciate it! I should have been more clear in my question - you are suppose to be able to use the HAP S1 as a DAC for your system by connecting it to an amplifier. I have to connect it to my Pioneer using the preamp loop and the digital RCA inputs. The website manual isn't clear so I will try it this weekend. I believe I can do it using my DBX 200BX route selector and connecting the HAP S1 to one of the sound processor connections. This will be interesting...

Well, you can probably just connect it to any line level input, but I guess its pretty much a pre-amp on its own right?
Maybe its got a "fixed level" option so it can be plugged into a regular line level input.
Conversely if you want to use it in a loop, you could use a tape monitor loop, or adapter loop ... Plenty of options..

Well, you can probably just connect it to any line level input, but I guess its pretty much a pre-amp on its own right?
Maybe its got a "fixed level" option so it can be plugged into a regular line level input.
Conversely if you want to use it in a loop, you could use a tape monitor loop, or adapter loop ... Plenty of options..

Thank you kevzep. Yes, it is also a pre-amp. Will double-check but don't recall seeing a "fixed" level option but you can turn the volume down through the remote when not using it as a pre-amp. Didn't think it would work through the "Adapter" loop but will try that option.

Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to put the HAP-S1 into my signal path so that any source I chose from my receiver will play through the HAPs DAC. Haven't been able to get it to work yet in the signal path and then as a separate source. I thought I could do it using the DBX route selector but I haven't found a way to "close" the loop with the options on the back of the HAP-S1.

It reads like you want the signal path to be: SX-1250 --> HAP-S1 --> Speakers. Is this correct?

I think it should be HAP-S1 --> SX-1250 --> Speakers.

All sources will need to be connected into the Sony HAP S1. Then the Sony connects to the Pioneer SX-1250, which powers the speakers.

All sources will need to be connected into the Sony HAP S1. Then the Sony connects to the Pioneer SX-1250, which powers the speakers.
Why do ALL sources need to be connected to the Sony? Only the digital files, and digital sources should be connected to the Sony, no?

It reads like you want the signal path to be: SX-1250 --> HAP-S1 --> Speakers. Is this correct?

I think it should be HAP-S1 --> SX-1250 --> Speakers.

Correct, but there is no "analog" input on the HAP-S1 and I believe that is why I can't "close" the loop.

Correct, but there is no "analog" input on the HAP-S1 and I believe that is why I can't "close" the loop.

I would:

-Connect your digital sources (optical out of CD player) to the HAP-S1
- Connect your turntable, cassette, and other analog sources to the SX-1250.
- Connect the HAP 'D/A direct' to the 'AUX input' or 'Tape In' of your SX-1250. The HAP volume knob may or may not be bypassed, but try it anyways.
- Drive your speakers using the SX-1250.

I have a similar setup using a Sonos Connect (for streaming) connected to an Oppo BDP-105D (DAC or disc spinner), which is connected to an SX-1980 that drives my speakers.

I would:

-Connect your digital sources (optical out of CD player) to the HAP-S1
- Connect your turntable, cassette, and other analog sources to the SX-1250.
- Connect the HAP 'D/A direct' to the 'AUX input' or 'Tape In' of your SX-1250. The HAP volume knob may or may not be bypassed, but try it anyways.
- Drive your speakers using the SX-1250.

I have a similar setup using a Sonos Connect (for streaming) connected to an Oppo BDP-105D (DAC or disc spinner), which is connected to an SX-1980 that drives my speakers.

Thank you frahengeo! What you outlined is my current connection setup. :)

Back
Top Bottom