Onkyo TX-6500 II help request

mrbruce

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've had a gorgeous Onkyo TX-6500 II sitting on my shelf for 15 months and am finally going to get it to work - or else. The problem is one or both channels don't power the speakers at startup. Sometimes the left channel is on immediately and sometimes not. The right channel never comes on at startup. Many times, after several minutes (5-8), the right channel does kick in, but other times, I need to run the volume way up or the balance control back and forth before I get the right channel. After the channels are both on, there are no problems with the channels ever dropping out.
I've used Deoxit, followed by ProGold on all pots, more than once, except for the volume control, which looks like a sealed unit. Faderlube used on the pushbutton controls. This hasn't produced any special improvement.
Tapping on the outside of what I assume is the speaker relay will once in a while bring the right channel up, but not consistently. Today, I touched the preout /main in jacks and static electricity caused the right channel to come on.
I've included photos of 2 components. The clear plastic box is seen from the bottom, while the black box is visible with the top off.
Any advice from anyone familiar with the Onkyo, or this type of symptom, will be greatly appreciated. I've got limited electrical skill, especially at the circuit boards.
My only guess is that this might be a relay problem, so I tried to see if I could get the clear plastic cover off. It seems like it will come off, but I haven't been able to see the trick. Further, don't know exactly what I would do if I did get the cover off, beyond using compressed air. Deoxit?
Finally, if anyone has changed out the function indicator lamps, any tips on actually pulling out a lamp and soldering in a new one, would also be very helpful to me. Working thru the front, I've gotten the lamp panel loose and see the lamps and wires. It looks very tricky to try to replace one this way however.
Many thanks in advance.
Bruce

Attachments

• P3120017.jpg
    P3120017.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 45
  • P3120019.jpg
    P3120019.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 39
  • P3120022.jpg
    P3120022.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 39
  • P3120023.jpg
    P3120023.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 36
Could be cracked solder joints. My luxman worked perfectly when I got it, but in the course of replacing the tone pots, I inspected the solder. LOTS of cracked and getting ready to fail joints.

99% sure its the speaker relay giving you problems. I have had this same symptom on a few units and its always been the relay. Its the one with the clear cover.

Dont know how the cover comes off that particular relay, but once you get it off, you can clean the contacts. I soak a piece or paper with deoxit and run it between the contacts. Should work fine after that.

Erik - Thanks for your thoughts. I'm continuing to look for how the cover might come off. Seems that its fastened to the base in the middle of the long sides since the short sides are loose. I'm leery of pinching it too hard with pliers, so I'm hoping someone might chime in with any ideas.
Thanks again.
Bruce

Erik - Many thanks. Got the relay cover off, cleaned the contacts with Deoxit and ProGold, and it works like a charm. Success!

I am glad to hear that a plan worked. I've never been that lucky. I have a TX 4500II and for the life of me I have no idea how to get the bulbs out of that white plastic rack they are in. If you find out, let us know what the trick is. Congrats on a great receiver with one of the better tuners around.

I'm still VERY much in need of help on the function lamps. Until I started fixing it, I'm pretty sure the "TUNED" and "LOCKED " lamps would light but now they won't. Stereo light and sound is functional, but I'd like to get it all going again.

So, still looking for help on the lamps, along with KingBubba!.

first unscrew the white plastic rack, ( two screws on the sides) them remove the other two screws with the nuts. the only way to remove the bulbs is cutting or unsoldering the bulb wires from the pc board. after done that, just push out the bulbs from the back.
good luck!

Vintaggeman - Thanks, I had hoped I wouldn't need extra sets of hands, but it looks like I will. :yes:

yep! is a PITA replacing those bulbs! just an tip, i use an magnetized screw driver
to keep the very small nuts and screws on place, it helps a lot!

Erik - Many thanks. Got the relay cover off, cleaned the contacts with Deoxit and ProGold, and it works like a charm. Success!
@mrbruce how did you get that cover off???
I know this is ancient history, but I just picked up a TX-4500 with rust like sediment in the bottom of the relay. I'd like to get in and clean it out, but don't want to bust it up.

Thanks if you're still watching!

Mike

Relays are better being replaced. A cleaned relay will shortly be back as a problem maker. Relays are cheap and usually easy enough to get at for the replacement.

Relays are better being replaced. A cleaned relay will shortly be back as a problem maker. Relays are cheap and usually easy enough to get at for the replacement.
Definitely the long term solution.
I just want to get the sediment out of there for now.

@mrbruce how did you get that cover off???
I know this is ancient history, but I just picked up a TX-4500 with rust like sediment in the bottom of the relay. I'd like to get in and clean it out, but don't want to bust it up.

Thanks if you're still watching!

Mike
KingJT - Sorry, but it's been almost 10 years, no longer have the Onyko, or the great memory. However, I would not disagree with those suggesting a new relay.

orig OP..
It's not rust.. it's residual arching. Yes.. buy a new relay.. got the sm? You'll probably need to do the cap job.. Your unit is at that point in age. if the relay works well?? and you're just miffed about the residue? put the lid back on.

orig OP..
It's not rust.. it's residual arching. Yes.. buy a new relay.. got the sm? You'll probably need to do the cap job.. Your unit is at that point in age. if the relay works well?? and you're just miffed about the residue? put the lid back on.
Relay is working. Haven't test with speakers yet. The DC offset was a little wonky on one channel. Fluctuated quite a bit then settled down eventually. Haven't looked at since last Friday so i forget what they actually were.
Think it definitely needs some work but i need to start with something a little simpler and easier to work in.

Back
Top Bottom