Revox B-77 or Akai 635D...price is virtually the same.

What are your requirements? The Akai is a consumer level, full auto reverse record/play consumer deck. The Revox is also a consumer deck but is probably built more like a pro deck. If you don't need the auto reverse, go for the Revox.

What are your requirements? The Akai is a consumer level, full auto reverse record/play consumer deck. The Revox is also a consumer deck but is probably built more like a pro deck. If you don't need the auto reverse, go for the Revox.
I have the auto-reverse now and it's okay...but not a deal breaker...in fact it's given me some problems. I've only owned Akai...but it has to be shipped and the Revox is at my local repair shop...serviced by a tech. Comes with hubs and two metal reels.

I have the auto-reverse now and it's okay...but not a deal breaker...in fact it's given me some problems. I've only owned Akai...but it has to be shipped and the Revox is at my local repair shop...serviced by a tech. Comes with hubs and two metal reels.
Mainly want to record albums and CD's...as well as play a few pre-recorded tapes.

The Revox seems to be the less risky option. Is it possible to try it before making a decision?

I have worked with and repaired the Revox B77. Nothing really fancy about the B77. The ones I've used are low-speed versions. The reel motors don't have the sophisticated tensioning as some of our open-reel 1/4" Studers, so W/F is more prominent, especially at the lower speed. But still a very good choice. I'm guessing your version is probably the 3 3/4" - 7 1/2", much better W/F. There's a lot to be said for having available documentation. I work with a lot of vintage broadcast-quality audio and video players. Everything from C-Type open reel, to DVCAM HD. I've had to look long and hard to find some of the documentation. I haven't worked with the AKAIs, but had one in my youth. I had no issues with it but still like the B77 better.

The Revox seems to be the less risky option. Is it possible to try it before making a decision?
Revox can be demo...not AKAI...it’s a shipped item.

I have worked with and repaired the Revox B77. Nothing really fancy about the B77. The ones I've used are low-speed versions. The reel motors don't have the sophisticated tensioning as some of our open-reel 1/4" Studers, so W/F is more prominent, especially at the lower speed. But still a very good choice. I'm guessing your version is probably the 3 3/4" - 7 1/2", much better W/F. There's a lot to be said for having available documentation. I work with a lot of vintage broadcast-quality audio and video players. Everything from C-Type open reel, to DVCAM HD. I've had to look long and hard to find some of the documentation. I haven't worked with the AKAIs, but had one in my youth. I had no issues with it but still like the B77 better.

Now I have an offer for half the price of either the Revox or Akai...for a pioneer RT-1020L...with two 10” reels and hubs email below:

Counter belt replaced. All electronics were checked and adjusted to be within spec. Electrolitic caps replaced. Cleaned and oiled. All work was done by Magnetic Tape Recorder.

According this thread on the tapeheads forum, that Pioneer is a good deck.
Thus making it even harder...the Akai attracts me...mainly because of the nearly indestructible heads...the Revox because it's local, it includes 10" metal reels; Pioneer because of price and metal reels included. Hmmm!!

I have had several B-77's over the years and they have been consistent performers..reliable and easy to service.
The Akai 635D...I presently have one which has been recapped and new transistors.The Akai's suffer from bad transistors so my experience is
with a unit more up to par with specs than a non serviced 635D.Its much quieter than an unserviced 635D. That said it is a very good sounding machine either way.
Now if comparing both non serviced and original I would go with the B-77 as they don't suffer from time like the Akai will.
If comparing a serviced Akai versus a serviced Revox..I would probably go with the one I like the sound of best..They will sound different...
I have yet to find a serviced Revox so can't make that comparison..

To clarify...by serviced I mean it at least has been recapped including any mechanical items like belts,pucks or cleaning.

Matt....tubeornotube

Get the ReVox. Parts and service support is available. It sounds great, is durable and reliable if operated correctly and maintained.

Revox, hands down. Produced and designed by a very sophisticated professional recording electronics and Tape machine company, STUDER. Thus the name Studer-Revox. Akai just doesn't have the breeding and performance a B-77 HS 2 trk has. Mine is a 2 trk HS, and I added a 1/4 trk playback head with a switch. And with the variable speed control I can play almost anything..

Last edited:
B77 over the Akai, but Teac A-6300 over both. Revox have a lot of pro trick features that I don’t use.

Revox would be my choice. I love the dependability of my 1020L, but don't think it's highly sought after. I use it to record 4 track stereo tapes at slower speeds and it does a great job. My "daily driver" is an Otari. I would like to own a Revox, but I have too many now!

Back
Top Bottom