Air Guns

The breech/receiver is not strong enough to support the weight of a rifle length barrel and shroud, a barrel band is necessary. The breech is milled from a hunk of billet aluminum, and when they cut that huge gash across it to accept the plastic Crosman style magazine it only leaves about an 1/8 to 3/16 of material on the bottom to deal with the mechanical advantage and torque of the barrel flopping around.

For repeatable high accuracy, a 30mm tube and the strongest scope mounts you can buy(and will fit) are requisite as they and the scope tube serve to reinforce the weakness of the breech, it's much like adding frame connectors to a uni-body car for the hot rodder crowd. This is not exactly an ideal situation. But, MANY airguns have this achilles heel, it's not limited to Hatsans by any means. Nobody likes to talk about it or warn you ahead of time.

That's kind of what I suspected.

Your suspected cause of this 'barrel droop' that you write about is why so firearms free float the barrel from the stock, especially those with wood stocks.

Is there any way to do this with your air rifle, or will this open up a whole other can of worms?

A bit late to the party here, is I,..
The Beeman barrel is held in place by three o-rings, and a set screw. Its receiver end is located in the breach block receiver, but, not all that well secured if not for the barrel band. I've done some micro-windage adjustments by loosening it (4 set screws around it), and moving the barrel slightly left or right, as needed on zeroing. The ability to do that is kind of nice for dialing it in.
The barrel band is two holes, stacked, like this, 8, that are joined by the side framing in a casted band. The area between the two holes acts as a standoff betwen the barrel and air tank. That area of intersection between the air tank hole and the barrel hole needs to have a thicker section between the two, to provide more lift or standoff of the barrel, by a small amount, like an additional 1/32" thickness. As it is, the barrel slopes ever so slightly downward, or at least that is how it appears (I don't have a real good meauring tool right now, my calipers are stripped).
I actually found custom barrel bands that join together like scope mount rings. But they were pretty spendy. As I sit right now, the Beeman can pick off small pine cones at 100yds with ease right now. So all of this is hardly a slight on it; it just took some time to figure it out and dial it in.

As it is, the barrel slopes ever so slightly downward, or at least that is how it appears
I've looked at several stock photos. Just to be different, i would opine that the tank slopes upward. :D

Perhaps there is a good reason for this, perhaps not.

That the barrel, shroud, or bore is not parallel to the tank is of little consequence.

That the plane of the scope rails is parallel to the axis of the bore is probably more important.

But, that the relationships are stable in relation to each other is far more important than parallelism.

After all is said and done you are sighting to the ballistic trajectory of the pellets, not the static dimensions of the gun.

Well then, that eludes to perhaps having mounted the scope mount backwards?
sheesh, no wonder its taken so long to dial in [chuckles]

[/joking]

but seriously, the dovetail mount rail and barrel were on different planes of view.

So, I've been anxiously awaiting the end of my blunder of not having the right adaptor so that I can pump up the Hatsan. I quickly ordered the right one, and, when in the checkout, the shipping amounted to nearly the same cost as the part to ship; that is, if I didn't mind waiting a minimum of a week, and perhaps out to the first week in december to recieve it. This is a small part that would easily fit into the smallest padded envelopes.
Seriously a $9 part, and $8 to ship it via slow boat around the African horn, via Tasmania, through the Indonesian Malaysian region, across the Pacific, and to the left coast of the US, from Pennsylvania. (I'm sort of exagerrating some of this in my unfolding rant)
Or, I could add an additional amount for shipping that actually put shipping over the cost of the part, and, I could have it here by today. That shipping came up to $10 and mid-dollar change, lets just call it $10.50 for the sake of my rant.
I dummied up, and paid the added shipping, so that it would be here by today.
Today arrived, and, it was still scheduled for delivery by today,.. that is until late morning, when I checked, and, a notice had been posted that it was in Washington, in the north left corner, and as mis-sorted, and not in San Diego in the south left corner. No delivery schedule is suggested.

Oh man!

I hate those days where i'm that guy.

Remember those days long ago when pride and competence were common among the professional/service population?

I went through a similar situation getting the proper adapter sorted out. Since i have the Crosman that takes a quick connect, i ended up sourcing an adapter with a female side that fit the threads of the Hatsan probe and a male quick disconnect on the other side.

Somehow, it all ends up being worth the wait.

without much further comment,...
total failure of a three-day shiping purchase, now due in by next monday, 10 days later; already awaiting RMA. And, customer service response of mehh, it happens:
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_...Steel_Rated_to_5000_PSI_Incl_Delrin_Seal/3550
purchased this morning, and with free two day delivery scheduled for this saturday (two days before the pyramydair blunder scheduled arrival of their expedited delivery fee):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M37FYA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is frustrating to watch as once upon a time i was sidelined by the need and turnaround time of this exact part, although i was spared the delivery circus that our OP is having to endure.

A reminder that I really need to get this Diana 48 out and play with it sometime, I haven't done much with it since I put it together.

Am I to understand that the techniques used to shoot a "springer" gun and a "pump-up" gun are different?

If so, how?

The act of shouldering and creating a sight picture and actually shooting the arm are no different. The mechanisms by which they operate are.

I'd sure let them know that A-zon kicked their butt.
This is frustrating to watch as once upon a time i was sidelined by the need and turnaround time of this exact part, although i was spared the delivery circus that our OP is having to endure.

So, Amazon got it to me in one day. I got home from a road trip day drive with Sarge, and there it is.
Regarding PyramydAir.com,.... At this same time, they also sent me an inquiry asking how they did in customer service. I just got home, and need time to clear my head before replying, properly. A shower might just help before doing so (because the road trip was also a rock gathering adventure, because I'm a rock gardener, and likely two tons gathered).

Last edited:
Yeah....I've had a couple of moves since the thread began. Expanded my air gun collection quiet a bit too. Now have a Diana Model 34 in .22, Benjamin 392 pumper in .22, Hatsan break barrel in .25, Xisisco Co2 in .22 professionally tuned by Mike Malick for full power and smoothness of operation. Several Co2 target pistols and a carbine customized by yours truly. Also a few other pumper pistols. This is what happens when Airguns of AZ is less than a mile from your home.

But thank you for keeping it going. Nice to know so many enthusiasts here.

I have a Crosman 112 .22 pellet pistol. I bought it at an estate sale this past spring. I have replaced the orings and seals. It shoots great. It came with the original C02 tank, which was full.. I have a dozen or so walnut trees on my property which attract a lot of red squirrels. I'm a pretty good shot with this pistol, and have been using it to control the population. Now, the original tank is almost empty, and there isn't anyone that refills those any longer. I have read that you can modify a paintball tank with fittings to enable you to refill the gun, but thats as far as I've gotten. I'm thinking I can just get a tank at walmart, and it should be fairly easy to figure the fittings I will need..Has anyone here one this?

My other thought was to sell the pistol - I also have the original box and some paperwork - and put that money towards a newer C02 rifle...

Back
Top Bottom