RS 2.5 damping foam around the EMIMs and EMIT, where to find?

slowpat

Slowly but surely....
Subscriber
So...just picked up a pair of 2.5 last night. One still has some foam stuck to the baffle, the other was all cleaned up. The bare one sounded a little harsh in the mids and the highs, so not sure if it was just my imagination or the damping really works.

So...for those of you that have restored 2.5's, where did you source the foam baffle?

As for recapping, I am confused. Reading up on the 2.5 AK threads, some said to leave the can caps alone, and a couple said to replace all. Should the can caps go?

Congratulations, Great speakers and I concur with 7.62 on the dampening material works great. I had to reglue in a couple places because the stickiness wore off, could have been some residue left over from the old foam not allowing it to stick.
I left xo alone so I can’t help you there.

I throw this out. I too expierenced that harshness your hearing. Using two tube preamps, Anthem pre2lse & a Symphony. The symphony though is the better of the two and neither has tone controls. Enter a Kenwwod C-1 preamp I picked which has tone controls. For two channel this Way dated preamp really makes the difference being able to play with those controls for the highs and bass.

I don't know if I got lucky or what but this Kenwwod is really pretty good for its age. So all I'm saying is if your doing a 2 channel setup something with tone controls can really be a game changer with the 2.5's.
IMG_2559.JPG
Here's a quick shot of what that foam looks like.

I throw this out. I too expierenced that harshness your hearing. Using two tube preamps, Anthem pre2lse & a Symphony. The symphony though is the better of the two and neither has tone controls. Enter a Kenwwod C-1 preamp I picked which has tone controls. For two channel this Way dated preamp really makes the difference being able to play with those controls for the highs and bass.

I don't know if I got lucky or what but this Kenwwod is really pretty good for its age. So all I'm saying is if your doing a 2 channel setup something with tone controls can really be a game changer with the 2.5's.
View attachment 1334783
Here's a quick shot of what that foam looks like.

Thanks! Sounds like I need to experiment a little. Just found the EMIMs in one speaker has much lower output, and the turning rheostat did not make a difference. So, maybe the caps for mids should be updated... will try to jumper the two leads going to the rheostat first.

So...just picked up a pair of 2.5 last night. One still has some foam stuck to the baffle, the other was all cleaned up. The bare one sounded a little harsh in the mids and the highs, so not sure if it was just my imagination or the damping really works.

So...for those of you that have restored 2.5's, where did you source the foam baffle?

As for recapping, I am confused. Reading up on the 2.5 AK threads, some said to leave the can caps alone, and a couple said to replace all. Should the can caps go?

Did you snag the pair that was listed along with the SAE amp (one channel out), and some other electronics? Glad to see somebody here got them, I was hoping somebody would save me the drive all the way from Gilroy. That was a smoking good deal.

bs

Did you snag the pair that was listed along with the SAE amp (one channel out), and some other electronics? Glad to see somebody here got them, I was hoping somebody would save me the drive all the way from Gilroy. That was a smoking good deal.

bs

LOL..yes, it was me. The prize was the speakers, but more so with the McCormack preamp with external power supply and a Phono board option installed. He wanted to keep the Advent 300. The SAE was actually in pieces, as he removed a bunch of output transistors and a heat sink, so got those parts in a bag...but, yes, I think it would have worth the drive even from Gilroy to Petaluma... :)

LOL..yes, it was me. The prize was the speakers, but more so with the McCormack preamp with external power supply and a Phono board option installed. He wanted to keep the Advent 300. The SAE was actually in pieces, as he removed a bunch of output transistors and a heat sink, so got those parts in a bag...but, yes, I think it would have worth the drive even from Gilroy to Petaluma... :)

Well bought sir! I know they were worth the drive, I happened to see them as soon as the ad was posted, but I've already got a pair in excellent condition, so I figured I'd just wait and see if they were still there over the weekend. I'm glad an AKer got them.

Oh, forgot to mention, I used the same Parts Express foam on mine, it's pretty much a perfect replacement for what I took off.

bs

Well bought sir! I know they were worth the drive, I happened to see them as soon as the ad was posted, but I've already got a pair in excellent condition, so I figured I'd just wait and see if they were still there over the weekend. I'm glad an AKer got them.

Oh, forgot to mention, I used the same Parts Express foam on mine, it's pretty much a perfect replacement for what I took off.

bs

Oh..you have pair of 2.5? I may look you up when I’m in the area for a quick listen. I would really like to hear what the correct sound, so I can gauge the sound of mine....

Oh..you have pair of 2.5? I may look you up when I’m in the area for a quick listen. I would really like to hear what the correct sound, so I can gauge the sound of mine....

Yup. Love 'em! You're welcome at almost any time, just try to give me a little notice so I can clean up around here..

bs

Love my 2.5's. Playing them right now. I have several other speakers, but keep coming back to these. I'd change out the 125uf cap going to the midrange. I put a 120uf Solen in there and a Mundorf Supreme on the tweeter and they sound great. I'm about to purchase Clarity CSA's for the midrange of my 2nd pair of 2.5's. No harshness in my currently playing pair. They're a wonderful speaker. Have fun listening to them.

Larry D.

Back
Top Bottom