Used McIntosh D100 or New Schlit Audio Gungnir DAC?

70'sMusic

Hi Everyone,

OK, I hope I'm not opening the proverbial "can of worms" but I wanted to ask the collective wisdom of the group a question. Been contemplating purchasing a DAC but I'm working with a limited budget. I've found a nicely used McIntosh D100 but it's over $1K. And, I've heard some good things about the DACs from Schlit Audio. So, my question is if you had to choose which DAC would you recommend - a used McIntosh D100 or a new Schlit Audio Gungnir? They both have their pluses and minuses but the Schlit is new and is less expensive. I don't need a digital preamp, just want a good DAC. I have not had the opportunity to listen to either unit yet but will do my best to hear them in person if possible.

Thank you in advance for your help and I look forward to reading your responses. :)

McIntosh D100
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/mcintosh-laboratory-introduces-the-d100-hifi/

Schlit Audio Gungnir
http://www.schiit.com/products/gungnir

I don't have the Gungnir but I do have a Bifrost MB and a McIntosh D100. In my system (Tidal via sonos into the D100 feeding a marantz 7c and Cornwalls powered by a marantz 8) the D100 is better. It's not night and day or anything but I felt it just gave an all around better sound with better detail - I don't have any audio adjectives to describe it - I just enjoyed it more. Of course the Gungnir is supposed to be better than a Bifrost so maybe it would best the McIntosh.

Schiit has a 15 day return policy if I remember correctly. At least you could potentially hear it and see how it fits into your system.

For $1k I'd not be focusing on just these 2 DACs. As an option and if you don't need balanced outputs find a used Denon DVD-5000 for $200 give or take, you will be pleased, and in the unlikely event you are not it will sell it for about the same. It doesn't have USB, if you need it figure another $100 for an external USB to SPDIF converter.

Gungnir MB owner here .... highly recommend it. Very natural yet detailed and non-fatiguing sounding DAC. Love mine. It takes about 3 weeks of continuous on time to fully burn-in, but once it hits its stride its a great sounding and very musical sounding DAC

I don't know how it compares to the Schiit but I'm quite happy with both of my D100's. One of them replaced a Grant Fidelity tubed dac and was a nice upgrade. In all fairness though I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I don't know how it compares to the Schiit but I'm quite happy with both of my D100's. One of them replaced a Grant Fidelity tubed dac and was a nice upgrade. In all fairness though I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Same here except my D100 replaced a Yulong D18 Sabre DAC which sounded great. The D100 just sounds better to my ear.

That would be a no-brainer for me. While the D100 uses NE5532 op amps in the analog stage, the Schiit uses discrete JFETs like that of my Audio Research DAC8. I find that the analog output stage determines more of a DACs overall sonic quality than the choice of digital chip(s).

Thank you everyone for your help, I really appreciate it! Well, believe it or not I actually grabbed a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista tube DAC. So many DACs and so little time...

Back
Top Bottom